A few questions

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Sabre21

A few questions

Post by Sabre21 »

This is all reference the 3rd Herd Scenarios

1. Is there a limit to the number of different types of vehicles/aircraft in a given scenario?

I noticed in one of the scenarios that the Soviets didn't have any regimental artillery on the board but there were some 2S7's which were found at Frontal level.

2. I was wondering why the 2S7's and not the 2S1's?

3. I also noticed that the Apache's weren't carrying any hellfires. Does ammo types change during rearm or are they stuck with what they start the scenario with?

4. I didn't see any US air defense such as stingers, avengers, or linebackers but I saw Soviet ADA. Are the US ADA modeled yet?

5. One last thing, Soviet MRC's have 12 BMP's (or BTR's) per company. There is an AGS platoon in each Battalion with an additional 3 vehicles (type is based on parent battalion) so if one of these is attached to each company I can see where 11 came from. Which means the machinegun platoon is probably missing from each Motorized company.

EDIT: I guess I should have put this up under the scenario section.
CapnDarwin

RE: A few questions

Post by CapnDarwin »

1. Only bringing the game and computer to a fiery halt. We were shooting for Regimental or smaller engagements given the map foot print, but we are seeing some almost divisional size scenarios. It really depends on reinforcements and timings.

2. Steve loves to mix in assorted units at times. Simple as a cross attachment or mixup from the high HQs.

3. In the data there are different loadouts for both aircraft and helos. Not everything, but a mix. And no, you can not change loadouts at this time at resupply. It would be cool to have though.

4.There is a bunch of ADA. The update 2.03 scenarios should fix issues wit ADA that ended up missing in a couple of cases. Steve would know more.

5. The 85+ Soviet BMP Company has 13 BMPs, HQ, 9xSquads, 2xAGL teams and 4x MG teams. It should be all there based on the OOB we used. Check out the Soviet-user datafile formations for compositions. Comments and corrections always welcome.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

This is all reference the 3rd Herd Scenarios

1. Is there a limit to the number of different types of vehicles/aircraft in a given scenario?

I noticed in one of the scenarios that the Soviets didn't have any regimental artillery on the board but there were some 2S7's which were found at Frontal level.

The scenario designer can put the artillery on or off map. I prefer on map. That can make them have to move to keep up with the attack.
2. I was wondering why the 2S7's and not the 2S1's?

Sometimes things happen. Whether there was a mix up and units got lost, you lost resources to a more important mission than yours, or you had a more important mission and got extra support. The basic scenarios are Meeting Engagements (ME's). That doesn't mean they have to be exactly the same in context or content.
3. I also noticed that the Apache's weren't carrying any hellfires. Does ammo types change during rearm or are they stuck with what they start the scenario with?

I choose what equipment mix the units bring. It was my choice. Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug. There are times you get what you want and times you take what you get. I mixed up the equipment mix in almost every single scenario. I tried to use every single equipment type in the data base in at least one scenario. Somewhere, sometime, so everybody gets a chance to be in a battle.

4. I didn't see any US air defense such as stingers, avengers, or linebackers but I saw Soviet ADA. Are the US ADA modeled yet?

Again, where did our ADA,CAS, tanks, infantry,(insert your whatever is missing right here) go?

"What do you mean they took a wrong turn in the last village and are stuck in a swamp?????"

This is where my scenarios are different than most. I once did a CM scenario for a tournament. There were 2 PzKw IV's that the British player could see. He made the comment that there were 3 in a platoon and he played the entire scenario waiting for the third one to show up. It wasn't in the scenario. I don't make scenarios like most people. Charles actually says I'm evil...[&:]
5. One last thing, Soviet MRC's have 12 BMP's (or BTR's) per company. There is an AGS platoon in each Battalion with an additional 3 vehicles (type is based on parent battalion) so if one of these is attached to each company I can see where 11 came from. Which means the machinegun platoon is probably missing from each Motorized company.

EDIT: I guess I should have put this up under the scenario section.

When we catch issues we correct them but the data base is pretty solid.

As CD said, all corrections welcome!!

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

1. Only bringing the game and computer to a fiery halt. We were shooting for Regimental or smaller engagements given the map foot print, but we are seeing some almost divisional size scenarios. It really depends on reinforcements and timings.

2. Steve loves to mix in assorted units at times. Simple as a cross attachment or mixup from the high HQs.

3. In the data there are different loadouts for both aircraft and helos. Not everything, but a mix. And no, you can not change loadouts at this time at resupply. It would be cool to have though.

4.There is a bunch of ADA. The update 2.03 scenarios should fix issues wit ADA that ended up missing in a couple of cases. Steve would know more.

5. The 85+ Soviet BMP Company has 13 BMPs, HQ, 9xSquads, 2xAGL teams and 4x MG teams. It should be all there based on the OOB we used. Check out the Soviet-user datafile formations for compositions. Comments and corrections always welcome.

Where are the Soviet datafile formations at? I saw the ones for vehicles, but not for formations themselves.

The FM's I am using, this one in particular FM 100-2-3 is dated June 1991. There was an earlier version dated in 84. The latter variant shows where the Motorized rifle consolidated all the AGS's into a separate platoon at battalion level. It still works out the same though when they get allocated out.

Now that I understand how you guys like to create scenarios, I'll forego any more comments. Everything I see and what you guys say are plausible and considering it's just a game anything can happen I reckon.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

All the data can be see by changing tabs in the spreadsheet. Data is here: [game folder]\Modules\FPRS\Data

Attachments
formtab.jpg
formtab.jpg (215.75 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Ok..where do I find that spreadsheet. I don't recall seeing that anywhere.

By the way, thanks for the quick responses.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Now that I understand how you guys like to create scenarios, I'll forego any more comments. Everything I see and what you guys say are plausible and considering it's just a game anything can happen I reckon.

The time that I spent in the service and the numerous companies that I observed from a Bn level setting showed me one thing; chaos rules!!! [X(]

If it could happen, it did happen! [:@]

- The LT getting lost.
- The AD weapons all in the same track that broke down, that we left behind, and nobody thought to bring the equipment with us as we left the track behind.
- The artillery fire mission that was targeted for the wrong location.
- The engineers who showed up with demolitions but no blasting caps.
- The army level artillery is assigned to the mission instead of brigade level supporting artillery. The Brigade level assets taken from you by Division or Corps.
- The maintenance for the AFV's in the unit was bad and they had a lot of drop outs.

So, you are short of THINGS, anything, all things, what you need most is the one thing you are missing!

The Colonel is less than happy!!

"Major, get your act together....NOW!!!"

That's easy for him to say. He doesn't have Hinds coming over every hilltop and all the stingers aren't working because of faulty firing mechanisms. Where are those replacement parts we asked for 3 months ago??? Yeah, right.

Come and fight my battle Colonel; then you tell me.

That's what I handed you in these scenarios and campaigns. If it can go wrong, it will go wrong. That's the closest I can get you to boots on the ground without getting you muddy. [:D]

I've been accused of creating scenarios so intense they almost cracked people's monitors before. That was my intent with this set of scenarios; for this game. So, maybe Charles is right. Maybe I am evil. [:D]

Good Hunting.

MR

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I can't recall if it was a Soviet or a German general that said right after WWII "The reason why the Americans do so well in war is because war is chaos and the Americans practice chaos on a daily basis."
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sabre21, it is here: [game folder]\Modules\FPRS\Data

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Sabre21, it is here: [game folder]\Modules\FPRS\Data

Thanks, I went thru the folders must have missed it.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I can't recall if it was a Soviet or a German general that said right after WWII "The reason why the Americans do so well in war is because war is chaos and the Americans practice chaos on a daily basis."

That quote is from a German General after the war was over and he was being interviewed.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The commander that makes the fewest mistakes is USUALLY the one that wins.

Patton said, "I'd rather be lucky that good. Good will take you so far, but being lucky can take you the whole way." He called his HQ "Lucky Forward"!

Good Hunting.

MR

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

The commander that makes the fewest mistakes is USUALLY the one that wins.

Patton said, "I'd rather be lucky that good. Good will take you so far, but being lucky can take you the whole way." He called his HQ "Lucky Forward"!

Good Hunting.

MR

That first line you wrote is what I lived by..and I still preach it to those I war game with.

As for the second about luck, I've had more than my fair share of it like when my parachute collapsed when I
collided with another jumper and we fell around 800 feet or when I was flying with a pretty new co-pilot and
he put us up into the clouds at night when just a few moments later we had an electrical fire on board and all
the instruments and lights went out not to mention we were short on fuel.

In the first case there was nothing to do put hang on and hope for the best and in the second case to stay calm
and do as I was trained. I could always shoot my copilot once I was back safely on the ground. So I would rather
have both luck and being good.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”