Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm - the new, the better The Operational Art Of War III

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Templer_12

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm - the new, the better The Operational Art Of War III

Post by Templer_12 »

Norm Koger 's The Operational Art Of War III
is one of the most comprehensive strategy games ever.
Maybe that's why it's just the best strategy game that you can buy for the PC with money.
Perhaps the best, without question it is one of the best strategy games on the market!
Norm Koger 's The Operational Art Of War III is a very excellent game and it is a phenomenon which even today still (rightly) finds followers.

Now I read to
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm
the developers and managers wants to offer more scenarios (expansion in Europe and elsewhere) and also other epochs
(WWII).

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm would be an easy to mod System, it seems to be so flexible and comprehensive, that we may well expect additional scenarios and mods from the community.

Even the more modern design and UI speak for Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm.

And we have the dedicated support of developers and other stakeholders.

Is there a chance?
Is it conceivable that Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm/the Flashpoint Campaigns system could replace in the short or long run Koger 's The Operational Art Of War III?
Could Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, become the new, and perhaps the better TOAW III?
Will the king overthrown?
Mad Russian

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm - the new, the better The Operational Art Of War III

Post by Mad Russian »

Wow, that's a tall comparison.

Considering the difference in scale and scope I would think that TOAW is safe.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
erichswafford

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm - the new, the better The Operational Art Of War III

Post by erichswafford »

Yeah, I'd call FCRS "Grand Tactical" rather than truly Operational. Which is just fine, since there were exactly zero such games covering this time period beforehand.

What a great friggin' game btw. Came along right as I was about to order a boardgame on the subject simply out of desperation.

There is a God - at least a God of War ;)
"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I own most of the board games on this subject and have one of my own I've designed, I know - amazing to think we design wargames in our 'spare time', and I can tell you that nothing I've seen, or heard of, compares to this game in it's scale. The closest comparison would probably be Tac Ops and there are marked differences in what those two games portray.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

I agree, having surveyed everything out there. I was going to get "Eisenbach Gap", and while it's a fine beer n pretzels treatment of the subject, it doesn't really compare with the sophistication of FCRS - especially in terms of command structure, order delays and the like.

I will say that the designer of that series has a real knack for simplifying things in a way that still manages to replicate 90% of what you want, but it's real nice to have all 100% too. I believe he uses a chit activation system. To simulate better C3i, you just have more chits for a given side, which translates into (on average) more activations of formations than the other guy. That's just off the top of my head - I've never actually played the game.

"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”