Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

gradenko2k

Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question

Post by gradenko2k »

General Discussion related content:
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/korsun-pocket

The Three Moves Ahead podcast had a recent episode talking about this classic SSG strategy game that got me to take a second look at cracking the rules and interface.

===

None of the Decisive Battles series forums have had a post in months, so I thought I might have better luck here.

Playing through the Operation Husky scenario, I have multiple elements of the Hermann Goering SS Panzer Division and a Fallschirmjager division isolated. I'm not quite clear on the supply rules though:

* Will those units run out of supply/bullet-icons by themselves if I don't attack them? They're holed up in hills hexes and they're not in "red supply" yet so it's going to be bloody if I try to assault, but if I can't get them to consume their ammo any other way I may as well just suck up the losses.

* If I do need to attack to use up their supply, will any sort of attack suffice, or do they have to take losses? Very low odds attacks can yield nothing (*-* results on the CRT), which is fine by me if it works.

rickier65

RE: Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

General Discussion related content:
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/korsun-pocket

The Three Moves Ahead podcast had a recent episode talking about this classic SSG strategy game that got me to take a second look at cracking the rules and interface.

===

None of the Decisive Battles series forums have had a post in months, so I thought I might have better luck here.

Playing through the Operation Husky scenario, I have multiple elements of the Hermann Goering SS Panzer Division and a Fallschirmjager division isolated. I'm not quite clear on the supply rules though:

* Will those units run out of supply/bullet-icons by themselves if I don't attack them? They're holed up in hills hexes and they're not in "red supply" yet so it's going to be bloody if I try to assault, but if I can't get them to consume their ammo any other way I may as well just suck up the losses.

* If I do need to attack to use up their supply, will any sort of attack suffice, or do they have to take losses? Very low odds attacks can yield nothing (*-* results on the CRT), which is fine by me if it works.

I was just playing that myself about a month ago.

Make sure they are really cutoff.

I don't believe they run out of basic supply unless they actually do something It can be some action other than attack/defend though.

I don't think they have to suffer losses in an attack to consume bullets.

But supply was the hardest game concept to get my head around, It always seems to hard for me to cut off AI supply, and too easy for me to run out, so maybe someone else will chime in.

You can also try posting over at the SSG forum, though it's been pretty quiet there as well.
http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/viewforum. ... 8b4ec72ed7

A shame really, this series and culminating in the Across the Dneiper and Korsun Pocket finale were really quite good.

Rick

Return to “General Discussion”