fullscreen

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

DTC666

fullscreen

Post by DTC666 »

does v2 run in fullscreen
Cheers Danny
Gbard

RE: fullscreen

Post by Gbard »

Yes
Suul

Post by Suul »

How do I switch JTCS 2.0 to full screen mode?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Suul

How do I switch JTCS 2.0 to full screen mode?

I am at work but out of memory I would say the Main MCS Menu launches the selected game in windowed mode, while launching each game exe from the folder by double clicking the exe (or via a shortcut) launches it in a full screen mode (ie. no parameters provided for the exe).

Those willing to use batch files (remember them!) might want to do so to specify their preferred launch options.

For an example, for West Front, create a *.bat file with entry such as [font="Courier New"]wf.exe -W -X[/font] to launch the game in windowed mode, with no encryption (using non-encrypted platoon, weapon, main files) in place.

To do the same in full screen mode, the bat file would state [font="Courier New"]wf.exe -X[/font]

Then, create a Windows Shortcut to your desktop to make the command easily available.

Hope this helps. I will revisit this when at my gaming PC at home if necessary.

Berto, if you see this you could perhaps document the available parameters in the FAQ section? -T, -W, -X come to my mind at least.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Instead of a batch file, isn't there a text for the shortcut that would start in full screen? IOW create a desktop shortcut for each exe and edit the properties.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Instead of a batch file, isn't there a text for the shortcut that would start in full screen? IOW create a desktop shortcut for each exe and edit the properties.

Yes that would be the way to do it. I am so old school in these things at times [:D]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

Yes, everything Petri writes is true.

Or, at the Windows command prompt, you can run the game in full screen mode thusly:

But using batch files and/or Windows shortcuts is easier.

The game engine command-line options? Well, the useful ones that might concern you, are:

[*]-W -- Windowed
[*]-X -- NoEncryption, documented at Coder Diary #13 -- The -X NoEncryption Option, Damage Report Tweaks, and a Glimpse Behind the Scenes
[*]-A -- AICmdLineOverrides, documented at Coder Diary #11 -- Automated, Empirical A/I Testing
[*]-T -- TestTrialPlay, documented at Coder Diary #12 -- Automated Crash Testing, Backup Saves
[*]-C -- ContinousAIPlay

A particularly interesting combination to try is

ef.exe -W -T Butyrki.scn

which will have the game engine auto-play (Axis A/I vs. Allied A/I) the Butyrki scenario (in windowed mode). Sit back and enjoy the show!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
benpark

Post by benpark »

I'd prefer that the game default at fullscreen, rather than windowed. If not, please add this option to the Menu bar, and have it "stick" each time the game opens.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Suul

Post by Suul »

Thanks for the help,

I found a way to run the game full screen, how do I continue the campaign?

When I ran ef.exe it goes directly to the game where I can load a scenario.
It is skipping the menus that are normally at the start.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Suul

I found a way to run the game full screen, how do I continue the campaign?

When I ran ef.exe it goes directly to the game where I can load a scenario.
It is skipping the menus that are normally at the start.
You can't. Sorry.

I have just launched the game

[*]windowed, then maximized the window (clicked on the window box control in the upper right)
[*]full screen (from a command line, without the -W option)

AFAIK, the only practical difference between the two game experiences is, for windowed mode, a matter of losing a narrow band of screen real estate at the top of the window. Is there any other real difference?

Other than a few games (with both windowed and full screen options, but that don't tie into an integrated system with other programs), are there any other applications that offer you the choice between standard windowed mode and "full [unresizable] screen" mode?

The frontend launcher is "full screen" (albeit with a thick black border surrounding the central menu boxes). Is anybody hankering for a windowed frontend launcher? (Probably.)

The scenario, map & organization editors -- these are, and have been, windowed mode only. Are we supposed to offer the alternative of full screen mode for them too?

As with some other things, rather than go to great lengths to support every possible configuration and combination and to please every conceivable taste, we placed our bets, we decided in favor of what by far (we think) is the more popular choice -- the game engine defaulting to windowed mode. As a special case, we do offer full screen mode (admittedly in a non-standard way that doesn't integrate well within the entire game system). What more can we practically do? (Except never ship product, as we deal endlessly with every real and imagined exception after exception after exception...)

"Forced" now to confront this issue, I can think of yet another kludgy way I can achieve this, but for now it goes on the to-do list. Not near the top. And not for near-term doing, not until the next update. Which we hope is not any time soon. Apologies.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Suul

Post by Suul »

Thanks for looking into this.
I was interested in the full screen because my windows frame turns white during game play.

Thanks again,
John

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”