Problems with classic APS

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

tyrion22

Problems with classic APS

Post by tyrion22 »

When playing with the option "classic APS" I am not able to activate more than one squad during a turn. Even after it has 0 AP left, I can't select another squad.

Also, I have the impression that even though you can turn on classic AP, there is no opportunity action or CAP action like in the board game. It seems you can only give CAPs to the squad that is activated. Is this correct? That kinda beats the purpose of having classic APS in the first place, since the only ones who are going to use it are the ones who want the same rules as in the board game. Opportunity action isn't necessary when playing with persistent APS of course, but it is an absolute necessity when playing with classic APS. Opportunity actions and CAP actions are what makes classic APS work in the board game. Yes, you can only activate one squad at a time, but there are three ways of activating other squads, although at a cost: Opportunity action, CAP action or card action. Of these three it seems to me that the computer game only has implemented card actions. So if you want to react with another squad than the one that is activated, you need to have a card available. Or am I missing something?
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee
ioticus

RE: Problems with classic APS

Post by ioticus »

You need to hit escape to deselect your unit so you can activate another unit. This is to prevent you from accidentally spending your unit. I agree with you that they should implement opportunity and command actions. I only play in classic AP mode because I feel it makes my decisions more tense and interesting. Because they left out the other 2 actions, the game is not as interesting or engaging as the board game because there are less meaningful decisions to make. It feels like 1 step forward and 3 steps back. My other problem with the game is the AI is very weak. I've yet to lose against it and I usually win by large margins. I'm not surprised by this but it's always disappointing when it happens to a game you were looking forward to. Other than those problems I like the game and think it will be fun in multiplayer.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

ORIGINAL: ioticus

I only play in classic AP mode because I feel it makes my decisions more tense and interesting. Because they left out the other 2 actions, the game is not as interesting or engaging as the board game because there are less meaningful decisions to make.

What are the 2 actions?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Oivind22,
ORIGINAL: oivind22
When playing with the option "classic APS" I am not able to activate more than one squad during a turn. Even after it has 0 AP left, I can't select another squad.

This option was a late addition, so the readme explains that when in this mode you need to use the Escape key to deselect units. This is to avoid accidentally deselecting a unit.
Also, I have the impression that even though you can turn on classic AP, there is no opportunity action or CAP action like in the board game. It seems you can only give CAPs to the squad that is activated. Is this correct?

That's correct, we weren't able to implement those at the last minute, but we plan to have the full system in place in time for the first expansion (and apply it to this release in an update at that time).
That kinda beats the purpose of having classic APS in the first place, since the only ones who are going to use it are the ones who want the same rules as in the board game.

Unfortunately this is the best solution we could come up with once we received the feedback pre-release that customers wanted a non-persistent AP option. I realize there's more to do, but we though it would be better to have this option than to not have it at all until the full system is implemented.
Opportunity action isn't necessary when playing with persistent APS of course, but it is an absolute necessity when playing with classic APS. Opportunity actions and CAP actions are what makes classic APS work in the board game. Yes, you can only activate one squad at a time, but there are three ways of activating other squads, although at a cost: Opportunity action, CAP action or card action. Of these three it seems to me that the computer game only has implemented card actions. So if you want to react with another squad than the one that is activated, you need to have a card available. Or am I missing something?

We've played the board game quite a lot as well and agree that the full system needs to be there as an option, but that was not possible for release. The Persistent AP system was created for the PC game after many discussions with Uwe in which we all thought it made for a better game given the capabilities of the computer. Since the AP system connects to so many parts of the game, changing it late in development by trying to implement all aspects of the "Classic" AP system could have broken most of the game and resulted in months of additional development time. We could not do that, but we have committed to implementing the non-persistent "Classic" AP system with all actions in full in time for the first expansion.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

That's great to hear you will be implementing the full classic AP system, Erik.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

My other problem with the game is the AI is very weak. I've yet to lose against it and I usually win by large margins. I'm not surprised by this but it's always disappointing when it happens to a game you were looking forward to. Other than those problems I like the game and think it will be fun in multiplayer.

I should note that the AI is designed and balanced for the Persistent AP option. It is a bit less capable when using the Non-Persistent AP option. We'll address that once the rest of the "Classic" AP system is implemented.

In addition, it's worth noting that a veteran COH gamer who can beat other COH players will have a much easier time against the AI than a new player. We found this during testing as well, where the AI could easily beat players who had not yet mastered COH, but had a much harder time against COH veterans. The multiplayer system is ready for you as well! Once you've played through the firefights and are regularly beating the AI, be sure to give multiplayer a try, it's very easy to use.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

ORIGINAL: Bison36

I only play in classic AP mode because I feel it makes my decisions more tense and interesting. Because they left out the other 2 actions, the game is not as interesting or engaging as the board game because there are less meaningful decisions to make.

What are the 2 actions?

I'm referring to opportunity and command actions.
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

I deleted this post, so as not to sound so negative when my question has been answered. [;)]

Robert E. Lee
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Also, I have the impression that even though you can turn on classic AP, there is no opportunity action or CAP action like in the board game. It seems you can only give CAPs to the squad that is activated. Is this correct?

That's correct, we weren't able to implement those at the last minute, but we plan to have the full system in place in time for the first expansion (and apply it to this release in an update at that time).

Ok, forget my last post, it was written before I read this. I'm happy with this answer, so I'll stop being negative. [:)]

Robert E. Lee
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

You need to hit escape to deselect your unit so you can activate another unit. This is to prevent you from accidentally spending your unit.

Thanks for the tip. [:)]

Robert E. Lee
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Crender

Post by Crender »

Yes, I have just come back to this game having previously played all scenarios with Persistent APS. Now playing Classic APS and the AI does not seem to know what to do. Is the AI still programmed for Persistent APS? Is there any point at all playing in Classic APS mode against the AI or is only multiplayer possible?
Crender

Post by Crender »

OK so I tried The Gap with Classic APS and Expert difficulty and got hammered by the AI. Just ramping up the difficulty level gives a good game against the AI in Classic mode.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Is there any point at all playing in Classic APS mode against the AI or is only multiplayer possible?

The ai has no programming of the classic AP system built in, so it's going to be a very poor opponent if you want to play it that way.

Suggest you play multiplayer with Classic APs if you want to start getting closer to the experience of COH as the original developer of the game intended (and wrote the scenarios for).
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”