Quick question - Japanese prod

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

IronDuke_slith

Quick question - Japanese prod

Post by IronDuke_slith »

I've worked out a list of models I want to stick to and started going through the Industry screen switching the R&D for unrequired models to something I do want.

My question is: What if I switch off the production for an aircraft where there are reinforcing groups due to use it at some point in the future? Looking at tracker, there are a couple of groups that use the late war Betty transport. If I don't want it and remove the R&D to the Emily to try and get it earlier, what will happen to those reinforcing groups?

Regards,
ID

(Sorry if this is oft covered, or a stupid question. Japanese player is a steep leaning curve).
Chickenboy

RE: Quick question - Japanese prod

Post by Chickenboy »

Hi IronDuke,

You're right about the steep learning slope for the Japanese player. I'm still learning every day on this monster.

The groups you speak of will come on screen with the plane types that you see them scheduled to have. You just won't have any replacements in the pool and will have to "upgrade" their replacement paths in order to select another replacement type.

For example, you can accelerate the IJ CVs into the game well before you have researched the (for example) A6M5c that they come with by default. You will have the complement of aircraft that came on the carrier, but if you want a replacement path for them, you'll have to 'upgrade' them to an earlier model that you have populated the replacement pool.

Hope this helps.
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

Chickenboy,
This does help, thanks for the speedy response, I appreciate it.

So, the two groups will appear with Betty transports, but there won't be anything in the replacement pool to support attrition and combat losses and I'll have to manually upgrade them to one of the transport models I am building.

I assume I just need to allow for instances like this when I am working out my builds and how many I need. I'll need extra Emilys to fill out these Betty groups when they arrive.

Regards,
Ironduke
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I might reconsider your decision on the Betty transports. I also am new to the dark side and have decided not to build any more Betty bombers but you'll still be producing those HA-32 engines though perhaps in lesser numbers, but you won't be planning on building a big bunch of them so in my view leave the option open to building them later. In terms of range they're awfully excellent. They're half the price of the Emilys and Mavises so as long as you have air strips for them to operate from, they're a better idea.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

In general, I try not to agree with Gornian logic. It's unsanitary.

But he's got a point here. Sort of.

You may not be able to upgrade this group between a flying boat transport ac and a land-based naval transport. Some groups have a maddeningly narrow "upgradeable" group of planes to which they can be switched. I don't know if tracker would have more information on this or not, but it bears some thinking.
travicl1

Post by travicl1 »

My current PBEM game with PDU on has gotten into July '44 and I find myself constantly short on Ha-32 engines despite it being my most produced engine. Starting in '43 the monthly bill for the Ha-32 keeps going up as the Emily, Jack, Jill and Frances became available. I've moved away from the Emily as my standard Navy transport plane and instead am trying to get an even split between the Emily, Mavis and Tabby. The Mavis and Tabby both use the Ha-33 which is more available and not many useful aircraft use them later in the game. I wish I could use even more Tabby's than that but my opponent just keeps blasting away my airfields like a kid in a shooting gallery. Float transports are mighty useful when that happens.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

I've worked out a list of models I want to stick to and started going through the Industry screen switching the R&D for unrequired models to something I do want.

My question is: What if I switch off the production for an aircraft where there are reinforcing groups due to use it at some point in the future? Looking at tracker, there are a couple of groups that use the late war Betty transport. If I don't want it and remove the R&D to the Emily to try and get it earlier, what will happen to those reinforcing groups?

Regards,
ID

(Sorry if this is oft covered, or a stupid question. Japanese player is a steep leaning curve).

Biggest mistake I made was to accelerate the a/c but forgot the engines. Try and get your engines up and running at least two months ahead of when they are needed. You have one advantage reseaching engines, as unlike a/c, factory building is not a random number. Provided you have the supply an engine factory will be built at evary location thus enabling you to work out due date easily.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Never, EVER stop learning in this game.

Good advice listed above.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

If there are no planes in the pool of the requisite type then the airgroup will arrive with 2 free aircraft.
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

Thanks for all the suggestions, Guys.

Chris H,
I hadn't gotten around to thinking about the engine side yet, so the advice on remembering to get the numbers right is much appreciated.

GeoffLambert,
similarly, I had noted that the Betty had a slightly longer range, but my intial thinking was along the lines mentioned by Travix. Late war is going to be difficult and not needing an airfield is a distinct advantage. Plus late
model Mavis has the same range as Betty and better load. However, your point about them being half as expensive is an excellent one and given me pause to think it through again.

The planning side of it is a game in itself...

Thanks again,
ID.

Edited to add - Thanks Captain Cruft for the additional confirmation.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”