MaxShootingStrength

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

RandomAttack

MaxShootingStrength

Post by RandomAttack »

Has anyone tried playing around with this? This is a line in the gamerules.pzdat. If you set it to "10" instead of the default "0" (no limit), it changes the dynamic of the game considerably.

The change only seems to apply to brand new games-- not saved games. I have always been a little turned off with potentially having large numbers of 15 str Panzers late in the war-- and I don't have the self-discipline to stick to a house rule about it. If I have the $$, by gawd I'm going to max out as much as I can!! [:D]
I'm just weak that way...

- No overstrength (OS) is used directly in combat. So the only use of OS is "reserves", to keep your unit effective at shooting max 10 longer as it takes losses. Really changes the way you think about buying those extra points. For example, I'm usually very protective of my arty, and they don't typically take a lot of losses-- so there isn't much need to OS them as those extra points aren't used/needed.

- But OS is "kind of" used in defense. If you have a 12 strength unit that takes a "5 kill/5 suppressed" result it will still fire back with the remaining 2 str pts (I guess because the effective return fire is still <10).

What I've seen (in limited play) is tougher battles-- you can never attack with more than 10 str so a lot of the "total kills" we are used to with our uber-units just aren't going to happen. And it is a bit of a mind-game to start thinking about those OS points as "reserves" that will basically just keep your units attacking longer at "10" before you need to buy reinforcements in battle (at twice the cost). Using OS seems to take on more of an "operational" flavor.

I know the scenarios probably aren't balanced for this, but it does seem to change the flavor of the game a bit, and it's definitely harder-- in a different way than just cranking up the difficulty. Anyway, was really just wondering if any of you had dabbled with this in your modding adventures and your opinions.

rocketfu3l

RE: MaxShootingStrength

Post by rocketfu3l »

Keep in mind the unit experience. You only lose experience below 10. So if a 15 unit got hit for 5, no loss of xp. If a 10 unit got hit for 5, substantial loss to xp. Apart from that I do like your approach. OS is costly and in some cases I think buying fresh units can be more bang for your prestige. The bonuses from experienced troops are substantial though, and therein lies the importance of OS - to negate loss of xp. You could of course just pay for elite replacements instead of OS to negate loss of xp, but then you don't have the OS advantage on the battlefield should that unit take a hard hit.
AceDuceTrey

RE: MaxShootingStrength

Post by AceDuceTrey »

I went in the opposite direction. I computed the maximum Target Servicing Rate (per minute, assuming one round per target) for each weapon in the game. Auto cannons (some 40mm and less) scored as high as an 18, which I inserted as their Rate of Fire (ROF, Column X). When they scored less than 10, I reduced their initiative (by 1 for every 2 rounds).

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”