Resolution Problem

Post bug reports and ask for support here.
Queeg

Resolution Problem

Post by Queeg »

Is 2560x1440 supported?

Game loads off-center, with bottom and right edges of game panel off screen.

Tried the hotfix but no change.

Editing res.dat works in the sense that the game runs in an off-center window smaller than my desktop. Editing to enter 2560x1440 just results in the default problem. Closest I can get to full screen is 1920x1080.

Is there no way to either (a) run at 2560x1440 or (b) expand a lower resolution to full screen?

Running Windows 8.1 and current (non-beta) Nvidia driver.

Feels like I'm playing a game from GOG.
Tom Proudfoot

RE: Resolution Problem

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Can you take a screenshot (printscreen, then ctrl-v into a paint program)? Thanks.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

Here you go:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (448.19 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Ok, that is not at all what I pictured, thanks for that! When you get to the main menu are the buttons X centered on the screen or are they off to the right as well?

Queeg

Post by Queeg »

Mostly, but not quite, centered.

Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (209.15 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Looks like they're centered on the graphic but not your screen. So it's probably just a dumb math error on the scaling. I'm still running at 1280x1024 like a peon. Should be an easy fix.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

Hope so. Thanks for your help.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Those buttons are definitely specifically placed in the center of the screen, so it apparently thinks your X size is (well) over 2560. I see from the screenshot you are running the hotfix version, which also happens to leave a logfile behind. Can you email me the log.txt file from the game directory? Thanks. Email is tomp@matrixgames.com

Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

Those buttons are definitely specifically placed in the center of the screen, so it apparently thinks your X size is (well) over 2560. I see from the screenshot you are running the hotfix version, which also happens to leave a logfile behind. Can you email me the log.txt file from the game directory? Thanks. Email is tomp@matrixgames.com

Done
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

Try setting the font size to 100%. For some reason, I have run into the same issue on a 1900x1200 monitor and this usually works.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway

Try setting the font size to 100%. For some reason, I have run into the same issue on a 1900x1200 monitor and this usually works.

That's the answer! Setting my font to the smallest setting solved the problem.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Which font size is this? Windows UI size? I have that set to 125% on my laptop with no problem, wonder if it's different for Win 8 for some reason.

Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

Which font size is this? Windows UI size? I have that set to 125% on my laptop with no problem, wonder if it's different for Win 8 for some reason.

I'm running Windows 8.1. I changed the font setting in the Control Panel to the smallest setting.

I've never seem that setting affect a game this way, either, but that changed fixed it.

EDIT: Just tinkered with that setting a bit. Increasing the font size increases the size of the game window. At the largest font setting, the game window is HUGE.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

Double post
wesy

Post by wesy »

Yup this fixed the issue for me as well - Default for Win8.1 is 125% - setting to 100% worked like a charm.
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
dooya

Post by dooya »

I am experiencing the same problems with Win 8.1 at resolution 1920x1080, but I am reluctant to modify the Windows system font (afraid of screwing up my desktop).

Will there be a way to fix the resolution issue without changing the Windows system font size?
Visit the German community at Strategycon Interactive
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: dooya

I am experiencing the same problems with Win 8.1 at resolution 1920x1080, but I am reluctant to modify the Windows system font (afraid of screwing up my desktop).

Will there be a way to fix the resolution issue without changing the Windows system font size?

The font setting is just a slider. You can move it back to its original setting after playing the game.

I think they've fixed this problem for the next patch.
dooya

Post by dooya »

ORIGINAL: Queeg

ORIGINAL: dooya

The font setting is just a slider. You can move it back to its original setting after playing the game.

I think they've fixed this problem for the next patch.
Thanks for your response. Yes, I know that it's just this slider, but if I am not mistaken, the slider also changes the size of desktop icons / icon titles, and therefore the alignment of the icons.

Visit the German community at Strategycon Interactive
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

It took me forever to figure out what was causing that. Have had the same issue with several other games. (GG: A World at War and Unity of Command most notably.)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Leave it to Microsoft to "help" out by defaulting Win8 to the 125% font size. That has caught a number of developers (including our team) off balance. There are a couple of other items like media players and depricated audio/video codices thrown in making life difficult.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Tech Support”