A Few Thoughts...

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Harv

A Few Thoughts...

Post by Harv »

So I clicked on the Buy Me Now! button as soon as I woke up, and it was conveniently downloaded by the time i was out of the shower and had coffee made. A few clicks to install, and off I went.

I'm running this using Parallels on my iMac, and everything seems to be working perfectly with this setup. Windows can't be run in Coherence or the game loses focus, but that isn't unexpected and isn't an issue. As I'm running two monitors it can be challenging to scroll the map to the right as the mouse can slip over to the next monitor, but again isn't an issue and is just part of my setup. The game seems to run in full screen only, which is alright, but an option to run it in a window would be nice too.

Anyhoo, I dove into the game without even opening up the manual, as I like to get a feel for the UI without any hand holding. I chose the scenario "A Partisan Defence" as I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere, and thought it would be a good test of my "skill" with some uber grey counters. Turns to I have no skill (yet?) and lost miserably on Normal difficulty, but the game system and UI made perfect sense to me. I had to crank the map scroll speed down to 1 and make the buttons large (tough to hit at 2560x1440 resolution), but otherwise everything played along smoothly and as expected. If I were to recommend any changes, it would be to elevate the button row somewhat so there was less chance of accidentally scrolling the map, and move the Finished/Unselect/Pass button up and to the left for the same reason.

The graphics are quite nice, and I assume true to the physical board game. There is some blurring as you zoom out, and as the zoom levels have quite large steps (only 4 it looks like?) there really isn't a way to see a little more map while also having the counters nice and sharp. If there were a few more zoom levels/steps added it would make for a better experience I think. Sound is fine, and does well enough that I don't turn the effects off and make my own *pew pew* noises when shooting at the enemy.

Gameplay I really can't speak to as I had absolutely no idea what the numbers, modifiers or die rolls meant, but it looked like when I did something stupid I was punished, and vice versa. I generated a Hero somehow, which was cool, and I got to see the flamethrower in action, which was cooler. The AI popped out of stone building cover a couple of times which didn't seem too smart, but I don't know if that was to try and draw fire so my guys could be shot at by another unit, or if it just isn't too intelligent. A few more games once I go through the tutorials and more fully understand the system will help with that determination.

So after a half hour I'm quite pleased overall, and can see spending quite a lot of time playing through the supplied scenarios and campaigns. I'm probably overstating the obvious, but this would be a Perfect fit for the iPad/tablet and would love to see it brought over to that platform if at all possible. Oh, and the flavour text when exiting got a laugh too. [:)]
Erik Rutins

RE: A Few Thoughts...

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Harv,

Thanks for the first impressions, glad to hear you are enjoying the game.

Just FYI, Windowed mode is not officially supported but it does exist. You can enable it as follows:

Edit the file res.dat and take out the # in front of the line that says 'window'.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
DaveyJJ

Post by DaveyJJ »

It's running in Parallels? What sort of OSX machine are we talking about? I have Bootcamp all set up for this and next week's Banished but am curious if I didn't need to reboot to run this, Harv.
DaveyJJ

Harv

Post by Harv »

ORIGINAL: DaveyJJ

It's running in Parallels? What sort of OSX machine are we talking about? I have Bootcamp all set up for this and next week's Banished but am curious if I didn't need to reboot to run this, Harv.

It's a mid 2011 27" i7 iMac at 3.4ghz with 16gb of ram, newest OSX, Windows 7. Been a pretty robust system, and I've even run Dishonored through Parallels on it. Strangely enough Conflict of Heroes brought it to its knees when it only had 4gb of ram though, so a reboot into Bootcamp was always required for it.

If you are rebooting quite a bit for Windows software, check out a little program called Bootchamp. It had mixed reviews but I tried it anyways, and it's worked 100% with none of the annoying "hold the left Alt button during startup" stuff.
Harv

Post by Harv »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Harv,

Thanks for the first impressions, glad to hear you are enjoying the game.

Just FYI, Windowed mode is not officially supported but it does exist. You can enable it as follows:

Edit the file res.dat and take out the # in front of the line that says 'window'.

Regards,

- Erik

Sweet! Thanks Eric, windows are much more handy. [:)]

Ran into a bug or something during the moving tutorial. I had moved the stack of three units the 3 spaces north, but then wasn't able to move them the next three hexes to the objective. I unfortunately didn't make a note or grab a screenshot, but I believe the text said something about non-vehicular units needed to be activated at the same time? Or something like that. I ran the scenario another half a dozen times with no issues though, so maybe it was something I did?

Tutorials are ok and helpful so far, and the manual seems pretty good too (found a few errors and typos if you want a list) while being quite easy to read and follow. Nice blizzard is forming up outside, so if SWMBO doesn't have too much planned for me I'm hoping to get some quality time in with this today.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Glad you are liking it, Harv. Vehicles have to be moved separately.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Harv

Post by Harv »

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

Glad you are liking it, Harv. Vehicles have to be moved separately.

That's the bug I think...there are no vehicles in that tutorial.

In other news, I just lost to the AI, again, in A Partisan Defence. I suck, but it's still a fun way to lose. He left a Soviet hero standing in the open street for a few turns this game, I'm assuming just to taunt me, but otherwise kept me at bay quite easily with nothing more than soft potatoes and harsh language. I need to start thinking more and doing less pointing and clicking while watching the pretty dice roll around.

Also, some of the German rally cries sound suspiciously American. Were there some sound files that got mixed up? Or will more German sounding voices hopefully be added in an update?

Maybe I'll see how forgiving the campaign is now... [X(]
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

The German rally cries are German. Sehr German.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
martimer

Post by martimer »

I am also running the game on Parallels (v9) and cannot get past the second screen. After I press "Plat..." on the game menu I get a pretty screen and some music but no buttons to start play. I think the problem might be screen resolution related because I can see a "ragged edge" around the top, bottom and left of the screen but the picture goes flush to the right (with the right side of the display). I can see both the Matrix and LNL logos in the lower right corner.

How do I progress beyond this screen to get to the actual game?
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Can you post a screen shot, please?
martimer

Post by martimer »

No, because I am not allowed o post a link util 7 days after my tenth post and I have the screenshot shared from my DropBox folder. I am not smart enough to get the image tag to work. Sorry.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

What resolution is your desktop?

martimer

Post by martimer »

1877 x 1126.

I am able to see the whole image in fullscreen mode. No buttons appear beyond the splash screen.
martimer

Post by martimer »

I sent Mark a PM with the link.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

I forced my resolution to 1377x1126, this is what I can fit on my screen. Look at the bottom there - do you see that edging of the image on your screen or is that cut off as well? I'm wondering if the Mac has a big bar down there shortening the screen or something.

martimer

Post by martimer »

I get the underlying image, but not the overlay with the OK button and text.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Can you email me the screenshot or the link to the dropbox? tomp@matrixgames.com . Thanks.
Harv

Post by Harv »

ORIGINAL: martimer

I am also running the game on Parallels (v9) and cannot get past the second screen. After I press "Plat..." on the game menu I get a pretty screen and some music but no buttons to start play. I think the problem might be screen resolution related because I can see a "ragged edge" around the top, bottom and left of the screen but the picture goes flush to the right (with the right side of the display). I can see both the Matrix and LNL logos in the lower right corner.

How do I progress beyond this screen to get to the actual game?

A few things/questions...

Are you running Windows in full screen, a window, or coherence?
Are you running HoS full screen or in a window?
Have you tried starting HoS from the Quick Start instead of the game menu?
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

I misunderstood, I thought you were at the part where it says Welcome to Lock n' Load. Did you try 1.02 yet - does it change anything? tm.asp?m=3546087

martimer

Post by martimer »

Yes, the 1.02 update solved the problem.

Thanks. The game seems quite playable now.

I note that if I try to update the software using the "Update" button, it hangs while "Creating a handle" and the application stops responding and has to be forced to exit.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”