What is the re-playability like for the scenarios ?

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Wolfe1759

What is the re-playability like for the scenarios ?

Post by Wolfe1759 »

When I had the time and opponents to play SL/ASL there were a number of scenarios that I'd play again and again, Hill 621 springs to mind.

How are the scenarios in HoS?

Do you play them once or twice then, particularly against the AI feel you've "solved" them or do the vagaries of the dice, a desire to try out new strategies and/or a non-predictable AI make each play something new?
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
aaatoysandmore

RE: What is the re-playability like for the scenarios ?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

From what I'm reading the ai wins so much you end up playing those same scenario's over quite a few times to advance to the next. I haven't heard if you can advance even if you lose??
fentum

Post by fentum »

I tried the first scenario of the German campaign four times before I won all objectives. Partly through developing a better strategy and partly through random events (the girl getting shot by the Russians, and heroes popping up).

Tried A Simple Task a couple of times with varying results due to different rolls. E.g. My mortar was killed in the very first impulse in my first game, but not in the second.

From what I can see so far, the unit placement is the same every time, but the dice rolls and events such as heroes can change the action quite a bit.

It would be even better if 'at start' positions could change too, but that would be the cherry on the icing on what is already a tasty cake.

vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Hill 621! One of my favorites also. As far as replayability goes, you determine who goes first at the start of every turn.
So that can result in a different sort of game each time. Also rallying or not rallying can change the game. In other words,
what worked one game might not the second time because of not going first or a critical unit got shaken etc.
Although your units will be the same, it might not play out the same.
I hope this helps. Good Luck
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Some of the standalone scenarios let you purchase your troops before the start and place them is various start areas.
This will make each playing very different.

Some of the campaign scenarios also let you place some of your starting troops.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

I think once the scenario editor is refined a bit more (which they plan to do, although it is usable now), there will be TONS of scenarios made (sorry to Avalon Hill/MMP, but good luck keeping all the old scenarios being ported).
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

I hope so! From the few games that played, the game mechanic is great. I only played small scenarios so far, and I don't know yet how big are the others, but bigger maps and more units should result in more tactic choices and re-playability.
JD Smith43

Post by JD Smith43 »

I don't think the campaigns will have much playability. The scenarios, a bit more, but I'm counting on player-designed material to keep the game viable. Hopefully well see expansion packs with maps & counters coming out so we can expand to the ETO, PTO, even the Korean War.
For efficiency's sake, just assume I'm right.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Hopefully a DLC module will have a random battle map generator. [X(]
JD Smith43

Post by JD Smith43 »

Yeah, a random generator would be excellent!
For efficiency's sake, just assume I'm right.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Does the AI start in the same place with the same forces every time?
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Does the AI start in the same place with the same forces every time?

Yes, in most, but not all, scenarios.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

Keep in mind there are not many changes in the dice rolling. They use a weighted RNG..which basically says the dice rolls are somewhat scripted for a scenario. I personally, find this a big problem in the replayablity....
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: jonj01

Keep in mind there are not many changes in the dice rolling. They use a weighted RNG..which basically says the dice rolls are somewhat scripted for a scenario. I personally, find this a big problem in the replayablity....

Firstly thanks for the responses.

This one puts me firmly back on the fence in regard to buying. If the dice rolls have to be "fixed" to make the scenarios challenging against the AI then why bother with the pretence of dice rolls [:-]
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

ORIGINAL: jonj01

Firstly thanks for the responses.

This one puts me firmly back on the fence in regard to buying. If the dice rolls have to be "fixed" to make the scenarios challenging against the AI then why bother with the pretence of dice rolls [:-]

The dice rolls are not fixed for a scenario.

At the start of you playing a scenario, a random number seed is chosen for that playing. It will be the seed for that entire playing even if you save and continue the scenario later.

If you start to the same scenario again, a different random number seed will be chosen. The random numbers will be different.

Every playing of a scenario will have different random numbers.

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

OK I might have misunderstood.

To clarify, is there any difference in regard to dice rolling between the computer game and the board game ?
z1812

Post by z1812 »

[/quote]

At the start of you playing a scenario, a random number seed is chosen for that playing. It will be the seed for that entire playing even if you save and continue the scenario later.

If you start to the same scenario again, a different random number seed will be chosen. The random numbers will be different.

[/quote]

Why is this done? Why not let the dice roll as they may?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

OK I might have misunderstood.

To clarify, is there any difference in regard to dice rolling between the computer game and the board game ?

Not sure what you are asking? During a scenario play through the dice are rolled randomly just like as if you were playing the boardgame.

A special "seed" is saved with every save file so that if you load up a save and play exactly the same way the dice roll will be exactly the same.
If you start the scenario from scratch, the "seed" is different and therefore the rolls will all be different.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: z1812

It was done for multiplayer and I guess it was just easier to do it the same for all scenarios.. I don't know that, Tom would have to answer it...
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

ORIGINAL: z1812

It was done for multiplayer and I guess it was just easier to do it the same for all scenarios.. I don't know that, Tom would have to answer it...

That sounds very odd. Especially for multiplayer. I don't like to think there is anything between me and the other player but a proper, unaltered, dice roll.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”