Anyone who says they beat this game on higher difficulty must be lying

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

joe6778

Anyone who says they beat this game on higher difficulty must be lying

Post by joe6778 »

I've posted here before. I've been playing the PG series and now PzC for a very long time. I received a lot of
tips here to better my game.

I managed to beat the PzC vanilla campaign and for a very long time now I've been working my way through the
DLC Grand Campaign.

I started on Lieutenant and worked up to Colonel for West 42/43 and East 43 campaigns. That's where I stall.

I have followed past advice and suggestions from a few websites devoted to these games. I have come to the
conclusion that if you say you're winning the DLC Grand Campaign on the highest difficulty settings then you must
be lying.

It has nothing to do with better tactics- it's just sheer numbers-the allied AI just sends wave upon wave of units against the Axis and
no matter how experienced my units are or how good their quality, or how much prestige I have, I can't get
past the overwhelming number of units they throw at you in order to capture the objectives. By the time I wear down
the allies, the scenario is over and I'm a few objectives short.

Game after game has ended the same way no matter what I do. This is beyond a challenge- it's an exercise in futility.
greykemp@gmail.com

RE: Anyone who says they beat this game on higher difficulty must be lying

Post by greykemp@gmail.com »

I just assume it's me. After all, most posters claim they just roll through the game and then get bored, or joke about how easy it is compared to similar games. Of course, it might have been the fact that once I bought and loaded version 1.22 suddenly the ONLY campaign I can play is the Allied one. I've even tried uninstalling everything, reloading from my orginal Panzer Korp disk and then "updating" the game. Wham. I'm back to Allied Campaign only. So obviously, it's you and me...... :)
dig In
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

So obviously, it's you and me...... :)
And me....I always doubted those that say they win at the hardest level. The must be the "Chess Masters" of the game.
airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 »

There are a lot of people who have played the DLC's on Mannstein w/ 1.22and completed the DLC's.

Personally I like General and have completed the DLC's at it .

IMHO anybody who plays Mannstein is a masochist (Kerensky that was aimed at you)

The Slitherine forums are the best place for AAR's and tips.

Now I haven't heard of anybody completing the campaigns playing Ultimate, but I'm sure there is somebody.
Always Remember!
Never Forget!
Box:8087
------------------------------------
"Deep down in every leg's
All American, twinkie filled
Kool-Aid pumping heart.
There is a paratrooper trying to get out."
Anonymous Blackhat,Ft. Benning,GA.1985
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I find the game to be total frustration at Colonel. I can't believe that anyone can beat the DLC Grand Campaign from 39-45 on higher difficulties.

I'm no novice- I have played the PzG series and PzC for years. But it's not a matter of strategy and tactics. For instance, I started at Lieutenant difficulty for the '39 and '40 campaigns and built up prestige for the later campaigns. I breeze through '39 and '40 and then move up to Colonel starting in '41.

By the time I reach Stalingrad I have to spend most of my prestige to replace my losses.

OK- so by the start of '43 East my core has 12000 prestige. I manage a marginal, a decisive and then a marginal victory. By the Kursk scenario my prestige is down to 8000. I have a bunch of FW190s, two tank busting Stukas, and various PzIIIM, PzIIIN, PzIVHs, and a Panther (which is all I can afford.) So I have about 3000 prestige left to play the scenario. I manage to capture the Objective in the NW, but then the Soviet onslaught begins.

There must be 25 Soviet planes and at least 50 units that I'm up against AFTER I progress halfway through the scenario. I surrender and view the battlefield. There are still tons of Soviet units left and my force is decimated. At that point I'm ready to fling my laptop across the floor. And this is after many attempts to advance through the campaign.

The 42/43 West Campaign is just as bad. This is not a game- it's an frustrating exercise in futility that has nothing to do with strategy and tactics. You're up against overwhelming numbers of units.

There's no way I can win the Grand Campaign on anything higher than Sergeant.

Obviously, the Germans lost WWII, but if you can't change history no matter what you do in this game, than what's the point?

I don't believe it's possible to beat this game on higher difficulties unless there's editing or cheating going on- the sheer number of units arrayed against the Germans are impossible to overcome.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Many people do not repair at all in mission (which means they do not take enough casualties to warrant repair, which means they are playing very differently to you). They only repair between missions to save Prestige as green recruits are free and elite half price. They also find repairing slows down the advance. I don't enjoy the harder difficulty levels personally but they are possible. I prefer Colonel.

It sounds like you are taking too many casualties leading to too much repair costs and lack of experience in your troops. You may need to look at the details of the combat mechanics for suppression, mass attacks etc to get the best out of it.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

It's impossible not to take casualties during a scenario.

You have to advance to take objectives and you get attacked by overwhelming numbers of enemy units. No matter what fighter cover I have or terrain my units are in or the artillery that's backing them up, you can't protect all your units.
If I stay in one place, I get attacked. If I move I'm attacked.

Again, I don't believe that players can do this. I've played hundreds of games of PzC and it just doesn't ring true.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Its not impossible :) You have to suppress your opponents and make sure you are attacking the right units against the right units.

It is not that they take 0 damage, just that they don't take enough to need to repair during a mission.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

Yep- I know how it works. I always try to support my units with artillery/fighters but if they fall below 7-8 strength, they get attacked and destroyed.

Of course, more advanced units (Tigers, Panthers, Elefants) may be harder to destroy, but when swarms of units attack it, it will be worn down and destroyed. Plus, low prestige at the start of a scenario precludes my ability to upgrade units (see above posts.)

The AI makes up for human intelligence with swarms of units. You're telling me that players don't lose units when they're up against literally hundreds of enemy units against your force?? No way!
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

You need to get your units experienced so you can overstrength them before the mission starts and then losing 2-3 damage still leaves them string enough to fight.

The evidence is there - hundreds of people have completed the game on maximum difficulty to unlock the 3 additional difficulty levels. You can see their AAR's explaining how they do it :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

Some of my units are at maximum experience and most at maximum overstrength.

It's the sheer numbers- my high quality, high experience, overstrength units against 100s of swarming enemy units. Result- I lose.

joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I checked the AARs- not much there.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I love to play on Manstien .... Here is how I win.
It all starts with your core force.
1. Artillery is king. Always try and hit your enemy with one or two hits before attacking.
2. Never ever use elite reforcements until deployment phase
3. The 88 gun... I'm shocked that this unit isn't in your inventory. I have five in the 1944 dlc now all are 4 and 5 stars. They can bring down the best allied fighter or bomber and can make any Russian tank shart in their pants.
4. Use tanks for tank on tank combat and to finish of weaker units. Never ever use a tank in a forest or city setting.
5. Never ever use a truck after the half track in available .
6. Upgrade your hero units first.
7. Use para units to capture unguarded non victory objectives. 500 extra prestige points goes along way.
8. Your Air Force should be 80% fighters. Always protect your TBs.
9. Use aux units wisely and not as cannon fodder.
10. Always think outside the box.
Hope this helps.
ORIGINAL: joe6778

I've posted here before. I've been playing the PG series and now PzC for a very long time. I received a lot of
tips here to better my game.

I managed to beat the PzC vanilla campaign and for a very long time now I've been working my way through the
DLC Grand Campaign.

I started on Lieutenant and worked up to Colonel for West 42/43 and East 43 campaigns. That's where I stall.

I have followed past advice and suggestions from a few websites devoted to these games. I have come to the
conclusion that if you say you're winning the DLC Grand Campaign on the highest difficulty settings then you must
be lying.

It has nothing to do with better tactics- it's just sheer numbers-the allied AI just sends wave upon wave of units against the Axis and
no matter how experienced my units are or how good their quality, or how much prestige I have, I can't get
past the overwhelming number of units they throw at you in order to capture the objectives. By the time I wear down
the allies, the scenario is over and I'm a few objectives short.

Game after game has ended the same way no matter what I do. This is beyond a challenge- it's an exercise in futility.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

Thanks for the advice.

1. I do this regularly.
2. I don't use elite reinforcements during battle unless I want to keep units over 100 exp
3. I do have 1 or 2 88s. They're effective, but you can only use them against one air/tank at a time. Doesn't help when swarms of enemy are attacking.
4. I do this regularly.
5. I always upgrade to halftracks.
6. I do this regularly.
7. Good advice, except then the para units are stranded unless an airfield is nearby.
8. I do this regularly.
9. I do this regularly.
10. ?

Again, the problem is swarms of enemy units- not strategy or tactics.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

Thanks for the advice.

1. I do this regularly.
2. I don't use elite reinforcements during battle unless I want to keep units over 100 exp
3. I do have 1 or 2 88s. They're effective, but you can only use them against one air/tank at a time. Doesn't help when swarms of enemy are attacking.
4. I do this regularly.
5. I always upgrade to halftracks.
6. I do this regularly.
7. Good advice, except then the para units are stranded unless an airfield is nearby.
8. I do this regularly.
9. I do this regularly.
10. ?

Again, the problem is swarms of enemy units- not strategy or tactics.

I general paly on Colonel or General and have had success. I'm no expert, I don't sit and think of optimal strategies and forces but you can win on a higher level than Colonel.

I found I need the maximum number of units deployed so getting SE units, for me, is key as are having my units survive even if they are only at 1 point. I try to upgrade enough to have some killer units but also keep my prestige level up just in case. Some units can last a lot longer so they aren't required to be upgraded immediately

I do not try to get every VP, just what is needed to win and whatever is easy pickings. It doesn't do any good to take a VP that gives you 50 prestige if you take 100 prestige in losses taking it. The only thing you get is experience and you can get plenty of that.
I also don't always try for a decisive victory. Marginal victories work just as well if you end up losing more prestige than you gain trying to rush to a decisive victory. I also don't try to kill every enemy unit, it tends to attrite my core down.

One unit I have found to be very helpful is the Strat bomber. I use it to deplete ammo on the tougher Russian tanks. Most of them do not have a lot of shots so if you can get them out of shots they are no threat at all. You need to be careful using them until you get control of the skies so having a decent fighter force is key. Also as mentioned artillery can be a big help if you are on the attack or if you are defending in terrain against infantry. Personally I'll take a tank over an artillery in most cases but some scenarios make the artillery a better choice.

When defending against the waves, don't be afraid to run. You usually don't need to hold all the VP's to win a marginal so keep that in mind.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

Thanks for the advice.

Do you replace losses during battles, or if units are depleted do you just retreat them to a safe location?

I'm always afraid that if I don't take nearby cities, units will spawn from there and hit me from behind.

Don't I need to hold objective hexes?

I specifically aimed for a MV at Kharkov '43 because I saw how impossible a DV was for me there. A loss at Syracuse in the '42/'43 West campaign ended the campaign for me.

I have actually made it to '44 East once, but I gave up because it became a chore trying to hold off never ending waves of Soviets. I believe the game would work better if there were a series of relatively small battles- not Kursk or Stalingrad. If they want to use large battles like that, then if you win the battle it should alter the course of the campaign. All wins do is give you prestige, but the war ends the same- Germany ultimately loses.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

Thanks for the advice.

Do you replace losses during battles, or if units are depleted do you just retreat them to a safe location?

I'm always afraid that if I don't take nearby cities, units will spawn from there and hit me from behind.

Don't I need to hold objective hexes?

I specifically aimed for a MV at Kharkov '43 because I saw how impossible a DV was for me there. A loss at Syracuse in the '42/'43 West campaign ended the campaign for me.

I have actually made it to '44 East once, but I gave up because it became a chore trying to hold off never ending waves of Soviets. I believe the game would work better if there were a series of relatively small battles- not Kursk or Stalingrad. If they want to use large battles like that, then if you win the battle it should alter the course of the campaign. All wins do is give you prestige, but the war ends the same- Germany ultimately loses.

I replace losses in game if I have to and can afford too. Sometimes you can withdraw a heavily damaged unit to the rear and keep it alive until the mission is over but in Bagration it is important to keep your tanks up to strength so I definitely have done it in that one. Same with fighters until you own the skies. Bagration can be one of the most difficult missions.

It's also not apparent but having a larger core than you can use is actually a good thing, if you can afford it. You get a chance to build up all your units experience and have a good variety to choose from based on the particular mission. Some mission a lot of artillery or tac is great and in others it is not so good. Having the ability to deploy the best force for the mission is really helpful. Another thing to pay attention to is the tank 'family' you upgrade to. The IV tanks are not as good as the III series early but later you can upgrade them to the IVJ far cheaper than switching a IIIJ to one. I tend to earmark my III series to end up Panthers and my IV series to end up KT. It helps me visualize what my core will have in later years. Try to have a mix of the two types and you can save some prestige.

Also don't get caught up with upgrading to the newest model as soon as it is available. In many cases it is over kill to upgrade your whole force and it can kill your prestige. If you have a ton of it then upgrade all, if not do it slower and you will have prestige for emergencies like in battle reinforcement.

Against the Western Allies it is more important to have a big fighter force and some Strat bombers (as these are the best against ships). Your tanks will generally outclass them western allies so you won't need as many. It's pretty much the opposite on the East Front, tanks rule and the air war is secondary for the most part. Keep that in mind as you build your core so you have enough of the right units available for the front you choose to fight on.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

Do you ever own the skies in this game? It seems that the enemy has endless numbers of aircraft, too.

I'm pretty good with upgrading, but unless you can build lots of Panthers/Tigers- it's going to be difficult to beat the Russian tanks. Tigers in '43 cost over 1200 prestige each.

I do space out upgrades.

I don't agree that the air war is secondary in the East. Are you playing vanilla PzC or DLC Grand Campaign? The Russians usually have 24+ aircraft each scenario.

RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

Personally, I'm a big "air superiority" fan. It may take a couple of turns to get there, but I think it's worth it. But there are other ways to go, it just depends on YOUR style. Rogo727s tips above are valid for anyone-- although I'm not a big fan of antitank units.

I do get a kick out of the "I beat the campaign on Manstein with just 1 infantry and 1 arty" threads though... [:D]

joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

How is air superiority achieved? I don't think the number of allied aircraft ever diminishes regardless of how many I destroy through the campaign.

Return to “The War Room”