Update on the development of the mix-and-match functionality

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

Nacho84

Update on the development of the mix-and-match functionality

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello all,

During the past two weeks we've been working on the implementation of the mix-and-match functionality. Unlike other changes we've been doing since the EAP started, this one requires substantial changes in the code and in the assets. We still have some work left to do, but I wanted to share some screenshots with the results of our work.

The first change is that rockets are no longer obtained by opening regular programs. Now there's a separate overlay, which is accessed via the 'Solar System' screen, that displays a list of all the rocket programs along with the properties of their respective rockets and a button to open them. Opening a rocket program adds that rocket to your inventory and you're able to assign SET personnel in order to improve its reliability.

Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (196.16 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
Nacho84

RE: Update on the development of the mix-and-match functionality

Post by Nacho84 »

We've also added another overlay (which is accessed via the 'Solar System' screen, too) that displays a list of all the mission components that belong to the 'Regular Programs'. This overlay provides a handy way to see your stats and assign/remove SET personnel. I think you'll love this feature, it will certainly save you some time since it will be no longer necessary to hunt down each mission component by digging all the way through the Program Categories -> Programs -> Mission Configurations -> Mission Components hierarchy.

Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (170.68 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

-

Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (198.03 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

The other important change is in the 'Mission Configurations' screens. Up to 0.7.15, you'd cycle across the different mission configurations and hit the 'Schedule Mission' button in order to start the process of assembling it. Now the game will display an empty slot for each booster required which, when clicked, will show a list of all the available boosters than can be used for such a mission given the combined weight of the payloads. Since the Explorer I satellite is quite light, all your available boosters are capable of lifting it into LEO.

Attachments
04.jpg
04.jpg (215.45 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

-

Attachments
05.jpg
05.jpg (185.78 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

After choosing the R-7 booster, the 'Schedule Mission' button becomes available and we're able to proceed with the assembly process.

Attachments
06.jpg
06.jpg (221.03 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Notice that certain missions don't actually have an associated booster. In those cases, the 'Schedule Mission' button is available from the start.

Attachments
07.jpg
07.jpg (193.49 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Lastly, here's an example of a mission where the Explorer I booster is being launched on top of an R-7 booster.

We'll post another update next week.

Cheers,

Attachments
08.jpg
08.jpg (205.69 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Very impressive, I like. Good job. [:)]
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
kokubokan25

Post by kokubokan25 »

Great! [&o]

Does mean now you can research the Saturn IB without open the short lunar missions?
If affirmative, the cost of the programs will be revised to down?
CowboyRonin

Post by CowboyRonin »

You always could research Saturn 1B without the Lunar missions; it's also used for the Pegasus satellite.

The fixed costs of the programs will go down, because you're paying for the boosters separately. If you're able to reuse the same boosters at a high rate, you can net some savings. If you try to stay historical with the match ups, you may not see much net difference. In fact, the program already gives you credit if you already have the booster that a new program uses.
Matrix forum liaison to Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager team
WitW/WitE2 Alpha tester
kokubokan25

Post by kokubokan25 »

ORIGINAL: CowboyRonin

You always could research Saturn 1B without the Lunar missions; it's also used for the Pegasus satellite.

The fixed costs of the programs will go down, because you're paying for the boosters separately. If you're able to reuse the same boosters at a high rate, you can net some savings. If you try to stay historical with the match ups, you may not see much net difference. In fact, the program already gives you credit if you already have the booster that a new program uses.

Yes but i never research the Pegasus, in the actual state of the game its a waste of money.

The savings are great, obviously, but my first utility with the new system will be start the research of rockets in advance the main program. Playing you never had the money to buy the Apollo program when the program gets available, you must wait several seasons. If the program divide the cost in two..you gain time.[;)]
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: fremen

ORIGINAL: CowboyRonin

Yes but i never research the Pegasus, in the actual state of the game its a waste of money.

The savings are great, obviously, but my first utility with the new system will be start the research of rockets in advance the main program. Playing you never had the money to buy the Apollo program when the program gets available, you must wait several seasons. If the program divide the cost in two..you gain time.[;)]

That will all change in the update that will be coming after the mix-and-match functionality. We're reworking the spreadsheet in order to remove the X-15 -> Mercury -> Gemini -> Apollo dependency, so you'll be able to jump straight to Apollo if you want. The penalizations will be quite high, but it will still be doable.

Notice that the Pegasus uses a Saturn I, not a Saturn IB. The rest of the things mentioned by CowbowRonin are spot on.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
johng5155

Post by johng5155 »

I really like the mix and match feature, but it seems you should still need to spend some R&D time to mate the payload and booster. It would make more sense if when you open a program, you select the booster from the list and then do a nominal amount work to combine booster and payload into a system, rather than picking a booster “off the shelf”.
Chlivus

Post by Chlivus »

Thats it! Much better [:D] [&o]
CV60

Post by CV60 »

I agree-Possibly a 1-2 season delay from the first flight with the satellite/booster combination?
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”