Open Beta Patch 1.4.1

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

stockwellpete

RE: Open Beta Patch 1.4.1

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: ojnab_bob

Just as a counterpoint, I am at the end of 1915 in my 1.4.1 CP single player game (also on average), and I've occupied all of France, Serbia and the upper half of Italy, and am in front of Brest-Litovsk with 8 subs in the Atlantic (which unfortunately brought the US into the war). My general observations/opinions, which you certainly should take with a grain of salt:

1. I think Germany's PP is about right, honestly - the CP player should always have to make a decision on where to spend scarce resources; in 1.4.1 I have enough PP to carry labs, a 14-infantry army and plenty of navy as the Germans. Then again, I was able to knock France out by the end of 1914, eliminating one major front, so this may be a problem of small sample size.

I have no idea how you managed to knock France out by the end of 1914. Has anyone else been able to do this?
operating

Post by operating »

Going to have to put my Entente game on hold and find out what CP 1914 has in store.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
operating

Post by operating »

Question; Do all warring factions (nations) get the same planned amount of PP regardless of if you are the player or the AI? In other words: What I see as being Entente, would be exactly the same as if the AI was playing Entente, PP and so forth.

ojnab_bob

Post by ojnab_bob »

I used the "undiluted" pre-1900 Schlieffen plan, retreating to Konigsberg and the Vistula in the East and putting literally everything into France (including all infantry as fast as I could produce them). Perhaps I got lucky; I pocketed a few French and British units around Calais and cut off the Channel ports generally... then was rewarded with a progressive collapse of the Western Front. Here are some shots from mid-1915, where reinforcements from the nearly pacified West are rushing to stabilize the Eastern Front.

ojnab_bob

Post by ojnab_bob »

Here's the current screenshot from my last turn.. you can see all my U-boat pips in the Atlantic, and I am hoping for big things in 1916 in Russia.

http://postimg.org/image/gamqzaymb/full/
operating

Post by operating »

Nice job!

As intended, Kirk set this beta up to be fluid, and Yes, a player has to decide to put the major part of his war effort to go "East First" or "West First", but not both at the same time. previous versions made it easier to accomplish this with trenching. I'm going to try and duplicate what you have done, also, a "Lucky" roll of the dice, can make all the difference early on in a scenario. I've had some guys in MP (1.30) just breeze through my France, for once the Western Front is broken, it's all open country. Subs are the way to go. Talk with you later.
Flimbo

Post by Flimbo »

I've tried CP twice in 1.4.1 with very different results, although my approaches did not differ much. I've got the feeling that the Western front is dependent on luck a lot. For instance I had the feeling that a completely different game develops if the Germans can take Liege in their first turn or not. If you're initially just a little bit delayed in Belgium the French can build up massive resistance and stall your offensive almost immediately. On the other hand, if some decisive fight end in your favor, you may be able to overrun France along the Channel like ojna_bob obviously did. Eastern front seems to be more balanced and not so much dependent on chances as the distances are bigger and single hexes are not so decisive.
In my opinion Germany is too much dependent on convoys, which in turn are too much dependent on the unpredictable naval actions of the AI. In one game it played god-like and killed all my convoys from Africa, Norway and Sweden (why does that convoy stop right adjacent to the Russian coastal control zone?). In the other game it was very passive for some reason (honestly, no idea why) and I did much better.
It is also very important to build up a one hex defense perimeter around Königsberg so that the city's PP production is not compromised by attacks. You just can't afford to lose that 11 PP in the beginning. Might be a historically correct restriction, but also limits my options (=fun) in the East a lot.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Guys can I ask, has anyone come across any game freeze ups or crashes? Because when I was testing, other than when I tried to incorporate, some new event screen messages that caused the game to crash, when I removed these, the game played great without any problems,was just curious to see how it was on your own different systems![;)]
Make it so!
ojnab_bob

Post by ojnab_bob »

Kirk23, my game started to dramatically slow down last around right around March 1916... it was still playable, but kind of laggy. Maybe it will be fine this eve... otherwise no issues.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Guys can I ask, has anyone come across any game freeze ups or crashes? Because when I was testing, other than when I tried to incorporate, some new event screen messages that caused the game to crash, when I removed these, the game played great without any problems,was just curious to see how it was on your own different systems![;)]
The answer is "NO" for E SP 1914 turn 35, 14 Oct. 15. Air attacks on ships have not happened yet, which, CTD in prior versions. The E game had turned into a rout, moved on to CP 1914, turn 5 or 6, so far really good. The English Channel naval battles have been intense. Moving up small garrisons to the North Austrian Front has helped a lot.
operating

Post by operating »

Flimbo'

Actually, you should be able to take Leige, Brussels and Antwerpt on the same turn, if there are any Belgians left they should be on the coast, Just bring down your BB and cruiser , then polish them off. I don't know how to do Screen Shots to show you how the "whole" Belgian army died (completely gone). Before starting this scenario, my impression was that the Entente would have the upper hand with combat results, which proved not to be true in Belgium. It gave me the 20 plus kills to activate Hindenburg, once Russia got into the fight.

Your assessment about Prussia is, spot on. It would be nice to save every convoy, but you have to meet power, with power, OR, a nice stealthy sub force in the Baltic.

I'm sorry! It was Leige first turn, the other cities second turn.
ojnab_bob

Post by ojnab_bob »

The American AI is not particularly good at defending against an invasion, btw - he left Washington DC unguarded and I walked in with my last depleted, starving infantry that survived the crossing in 1917. Perhaps the US was traumatized by the surrender of the rest of the Entente... in any event, this is a non issue as this is unlikely to generally occur.
operating

Post by operating »

That's weird. had the Americans stop producing troops all together? Did you notice if they had units ready to transport in Boston and New York? Have to wonder if they had RR capacity? I had a similar situation taking Constantinople..., which took 2 turns, Washington, would have took 3 turns, which would of "clearly" telegraphed your intention. Weird....
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: operating

NATO symbols on small garrisons could be a little more discreet.

colored country boundary lines, also could be more discreet. Might there be consideration about a "hotkey" to show these boundary lines?

Agree with you about the NATO symbol for Small Garrisons, how about something similar to the Georgia garrison in the below (from the GMT boardgame Reds! )

P.S. Kirk23 - all the work you and the software whiz kid have been doing on this is really appreciated.
Attachments
redspicture.jpg
redspicture.jpg (148.43 KiB) Viewed 145 times
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
operating

Post by operating »

Have'nt had the success in France as you had (supply, being the biggest determent), anyhow, have gotten half of France including the Channel coast cities, Paris , Orleans, Verdun and Dijon. Yes, the French are in disarray. Italy has just entered, sending support to the French. What's funny is; They just about abandon their own country to go protect others, ODD. The Russians have been absolutely tenacious attacking on the Eastern front and relying on small garrisons (for the most part) to protect them from Turkey, which is starting to fail, 24 June 15, turn 27.

So far the functions of the game have been smooth, I have no real complaints, except for a "NO SHOW" Turk commander (Kemal Pasha, the one with a decent defense rating). I'm a little "iffy" about the slow tech development, (that's meant more for Kirk than you).
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk, I am concerned that many of the techs will not be employed before the end of the war, because of the slow development, even when playing the 1914-118 turn scenario, never mind the 1915 matches and up. Or is it just slow tech growth in the 1914 scenario?

Might some of the techs develop at a different speed than others, for instance: You wanted to make the ground game more fluid, by slowing the growth of techs, however, I do not think it should have included "Naval Techs".
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I will tweak the tech development before official release.[;)]
Make it so!
bob.

Post by bob. »

So, I am playing Central Powers against a privileged AI Entente.
Having a lot of fun so far. The balance seems to have turned around completely although I am not far enough in the game to really judge yet.

In Serbia, the front is a nice straight line. Beautiful! Unfortunately, I lost Cattaro (and Sarajevo temporarily!). However, it seems like right now I have absolutely superiority here and I am confident I'll advance a lot in 1915.

In France, after rapid advances it has more or less stalled now. Belgium is completely occupied. I think neither side really has the strength to advance much in 1915 on this front. (Which is great!)

Really surprising is the Russian front. Initially I was planning to send basically nothing and concentrate on France. But the initial turns were so great for me that I couldn't not send more troops! Taking Warsaw in 1915 is a very realistic goal I think. Notice that the Russians seem to even be incapable to fill their whole front! Very surprising to me.

Ottoman performance is.. as expected so far: building a Jerusalem front was quite optimistic propably. And throwing away my infantry in Gaza by not moving it back was simply stupid. Pre-1.4.1 the Ottomans could upgrade to lvl2 infantry immediately, the fact that they can't anymore is a huge disadvantage. I think it's a good change though!

What's not looking so great is the management window.
I will have to disband some garrisons soon, otherwise I simply won't be able to reinforce the existing formations!

Will make a new post in the end of 1915[:D]
bob.

Post by bob. »

By the way, convoys are still bugged:
destroyed German convoys from Africa by the UK give message that the Russians are blockading the Baltic.

Also, I'm having some serious lag in the game. Well, not really "lag" in that it the game runs slow or anything. It just freezes up every few seconds for a second or so during the AI turn.. and after playing a few turns, it also freezes up during my turn. Restart helps, but not for the AI turn.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: bob.

By the way, convoys are still bugged:
destroyed German convoys from Africa by the UK give message that the Russians are blockading the Baltic.

Also, I'm having some serious lag in the game. Well, not really "lag" in that it the game runs slow or anything. It just freezes up every few seconds for a second or so during the AI turn.. and after playing a few turns, it also freezes up during my turn. Restart helps, but not for the AI turn.

Hi the Convoy message is not a bug,the problem is that there is only one convoy blockaded event message screen,in the scripts, I will see what can be done about creating new event messages for different countries blockading in different Oceans![;)] ( Its something I don't like about the game the lack of different event messages)
Make it so!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”