Level of action

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Titanwarrior89

Level of action

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Question, what is the highest level of action in the game....squads at platoon level, up to company level? With the map editor is it possiable to build larger maps and add more units?

Looks like a great game....price is good....but I want to be sure. COH still sits. I have one of the board games but haven't popped it open since I bought it. Only because the level of action seemed to be at only Platoon level.[:)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Barthheart

RE: Level of action

Post by Barthheart »

There are a couple of scenarios where you have control of a few platoons worth of men and tanks.

With the editor you could build larger engagements... probably up to unmanageable size! [;)]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thank ya Sir[;)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

I will add this to the scenario editor info that I have been assembling over the last couple of days but the maximum # of units (total) is 200, which is way, way more than I would think would be fun - the rules system is meant for small unit action. Personally I think with more than about 40-50 counters it would descend into too much opfire and clicking, but you are welcome to try and prove me wrong.

Max map size is three panels in each direction, which is 43x25.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Yep, I designed LnL to handle smaller engagements. Anything more than company+ level isn't much fun for me. 10-13 squads, 3-4 tanks, that seems to work fine.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks for the information Tom and Mark.
ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

I will add this to the scenario editor info that I have been assembling over the last couple of days but the maximum # of units (total) is 200, which is way, way more than I would think would be fun - the rules system is meant for small unit action. Personally I think with more than about 40-50 counters it would descend into too much opfire and clicking, but you are welcome to try and prove me wrong.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

Is that 40-50 per side or just 40-50 total?
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

I meant total, but that's even more than Mark likes, as you can see above he likes 10-13 or so. I think of it as a game about firefights in a particular neighborhood.

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Sounds like you can put together a company size element using the editor along with attached support weapons, leaders, and a few armored vehicles for both sides.

Based on the max map size though, roughly 2.1 km x 1.2 km wouldn't give much room to maneuver although in a dense urban environment, that's more than enough room.

I've always liked larger battles and have played Squad leader games that involved units up to regimental size. I would like to see the eventual increase of the map to about 3 or 4 times what the limit is now and at least twice the counters. But that's me:)
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Ive been working with the editor and some of it is coming together, but still having a problem figuring out how to enlarge a map.

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

When in the editor, hit the Tab key. This will bring up a menu. There should be a selection "Map Info". That should bring up a screen where you can add more map panels.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Tab->Map Info. I put up a brief guide here: fb.asp?m=3545965
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks guys, thats helps alot[:)][&o]

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

You can add more than enough maps for the scale of the game to increase maneuveing.  Excellent.  Thanks for the heads up.[:)]

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”