Finally found the right word: Narrative

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
zouave

Finally found the right word: Narrative

Post by zouave »

I've played three scenarios so far, and it finally dawned on me what it is about this game that separates it from other computer wargames I've played: each scenario creates its own narrative.

Case in point: my last scenario, Ramushevo Corridor, started off with my T-34s proving they had the worst gunners on the Eastern Front. For several straight turns they could not land a hit. But the funny thing was, neither could the German tanks or the AT gun. The German squads in the center quickly knocked out my armored car, and made for the exit hexes. I advanced on a single SS squad in a wooden building in the northeast and then saw two entire stacks wiped out one by one in melee by those fantatics. What's worse, one of my squads dropped an AT rifle, and the SS squad picked it up and knoked out one of my T-34s with a lucky shot. I began to think there was no way I could win by elminating the 6 squads needed for victory, but then another T-34 showed up who had much better aim. I was able to killl the two German tanks. And remember that T-34 killed by the SS fanatics? Well, the crew survived, and tormented that squad by hunkering down next to them and, against all odds, surviving multiple attacks. The diversion allowed another stack to move up and finally kill the SSers. Then I raced a Soviet leader whose own squads had been killed south to pick up two cowering and shaken squads that had been sitting out most of the firefight. He moved this rallied group up towards the action, and by the last turn I had somehow managed to get my 6th squad kill (helped by a panicked move by one half squad out of cover and right into my opp fire).

Great, great stuff!
markhwalker

RE: Finally found the right word: Narrative

Post by markhwalker »

Wow, that sounds like a fun scenario, zouave.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

I can relate to this. Played only one scenario (so far) in which the hero was a female nurse who both healed and rallied enough Partisans to win. Although the Germans had 3 armoured vehicles, as soon as the German leaders went down, the squad morale crumbled. A final, desperate, German melee attack was foiled when I managed to bring up reinforcements. As more Germans arrived my Partisans began slipping away, but the nurse and her team held their "victory location" till the bitter end.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Ha, the beautiful nurse. I think the portrait is of David Julien's (one of the counter artists)wife.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hey, that is cool! Adding the Nurse character was a nice touch -- the voice-audio is also good.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Sounds like your Commissar will have to decide either to decorate you for victory or send you to a Penal battalion for the poor performance of your obviously unmotivated tankers!
wokajimbo

Post by wokajimbo »

Agree with Zouave.

I actually find Lock'n Load--both board and computer versions--more evocative than the pre-imagined worlds of 3D wargames (Combat Mission x2 for e.g.), because I can see the story and action unfolding very clearly in my own mind.
fentum

Post by fentum »

ORIGINAL: wokajimbo

Agree with Zouave.

I actually find Lock'n Load--both board and computer versions--more evocative than the pre-imagined worlds of 3D wargames (Combat Mission x2 for e.g.), because I can see the story and action unfolding very clearly in my own mind.

Agreed. I play CM and COH mostly on 2D as it is a lot easier to follow the action. Zoom in during CM just for fun.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”