Mightily impressed

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
markhwalker

RE: Mightily impressed

Post by markhwalker »

satisfied my ASL itch
Argh! Please don't say things like that. It kills me. ASL is all about ranges, penetrations, obscure-one-off-tanks. Lock 'n Load is about people, heroes, chaos. The things that make these games exciting.[:)]

That said, I'm glad yu all enjoy it.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
kvob

Post by kvob »

Just wanted to add my hearty congratulations. First impressions with this game are very good. It's the kind of thing I've been waiting a long time for. I hope this is the first of many like it.
jascou

Post by jascou »

ORIGINAL: markhwalker
satisfied my ASL itch
Argh! Please don't say things like that. It kills me. ASL is all about ranges, penetrations, obscure-one-off-tanks. Lock 'n Load is about people, heroes, chaos. The things that make these games exciting.[:)]

Ah, but to be fair, (IMO) SL/ASL really set the standard by which games of this scale would be measured.

However, perhaps with this design a new standard has been set? Henceforth, maybe in the future people will be making comments like "Game X really scratches my Ln'L itch.", or "This game really sucks compared to Ln'L HoS. What the hell were they thinking?" [;)]

Since I started playing this game, the one thought that often crosses my mind is "Wow, someone took the best concepts from SL/ASL and made a more exciting game." If that comment causes you to grit your teeth and utter expletives, I apologize. [:D] To me, the big drawback of SL/ASL was always the highly structured turn-sequence, often leading to the non-active player to take a nap. The back and forth of Ln'L is what makes this game so attractive.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Ah, but to be fair, (IMO) SL/ASL really set the standard by which games of this scale would be measured.
Absolutely. It's a great game, just a different approach.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I love ASL -- I played it obsessively for years -- but I agree that LnL has a different feel, a different emphasis. I'm loving it at least as much as ASL. I actually enjoyed the rules-lawyering in ASL, but it's refreshing not to have to worry about that stuff in this game. I enjoyed Conflict of Heroes (both the boardgame and the PC), but I think I prefer this LnL system. As Mark says, the individual people shine more in this game.

I remember GMT's Roger McGowan once said that his wargame art tried to put the focus on people. He leans toward having portraits and individual soldiers on his box covers, for example. I see the same sort of emphasis here. I like it.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

I'm glad Grotius. Thanks!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: markhwalker
satisfied my ASL itch

That said, I'm glad yu all enjoy it.

Just to let you know Mark it is the look of SL and ASL that will sell a lot of copies of this game for you. When I see the portions of the map I see I'm sorry but I see SL and ASL. There's no denying it. Maybe the rules of play and the actions are different, but, the maps and really a lot of the units remind me of SL, ASL and those squad level games by John Tiller. I like it, like it a lot and hope you do many more in the future, just don't take so long this time. [&o] In the future though I'll try to refrain from saying Squad Leader and Advance Squad Leader [:D]
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

I've been buying computer games for years. This game is one of the best. It has everything you could wish for as a pc gamer: capable AI opponent, intuitive system, immersive gameplay, emergent storylines, clear & logical UI, excellent graphics & audio. I'd definitely buy another game in the series. Thanks & congrats to the Dev team & testers.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Thanks, guys. We really appreciate the support.
Shadak

Post by Shadak »

Its great to read so much praise for this game. I was trying to get into ASL (incl. Vassal) for ages but everytime i learned some rules I forgot the stuff I read before as I never got time. This seems perfect, not to mention the AI opponent which is such an advantage (none of my friends would even think about ASL). Buying this today after reading impressions, Thanks!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Not to diss Matrixgames or Slitherine but you really should put this game on STEAM. From what I have read you've got yourself a winner here something people have been waiting on for years. I knew years ago when you first started the project it would be popular. This is truly going to be one of those classics and everyone who is anyone will want it and get it if you put it on Steam. Wargamers that see those colors and icons and maps will jump on it almost instantly once they've read a few reviews. Be sure and send some review copies out because a good reviewer like Tom Chick can make you a fortune. [:)]
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Javolenus

I've been buying computer games for years. This game is one of the best. It has everything you could wish for as a pc gamer: capable AI opponent, intuitive system, immersive gameplay, emergent storylines, clear & logical UI, excellent graphics & audio. I'd definitely buy another game in the series. Thanks & congrats to the Dev team & testers.

+1 [&o]

Hope to see more scenario's from users...and hope you can continue to make more LnL campaigns! [8D]
JRR

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”