Error message Hotfix 1.4.1

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Hotschi

Error message Hotfix 1.4.1

Post by Hotschi »

Magnificent work....

Re-downloaded the 1.40 Beta patch, and then tried to apply the hotfix.

The hotfix refuses Installation with the following message:

"This program cannot update the installed version of Commander: The Great War because of the following reason:

D:\Programme\Matrix Games\Commander The Great War\data\scripts\game\game_transportmoves.lua:unknown Version"

And what now?
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Hotschi

RE: Error message Hotfix 1.4.1

Post by Hotschi »

Got a solution.

I removed the file with the "unknown Version", installed that hotfix, then when I saw a file with the same name wasn't updated,put the old game_transportmoves.lua back in again.

Looks like it works now. "Looks like", I say.

What a funny installer, it checks files, then complains that one file is of a "unknown version", and then doesn't even bother to update (i.e. install a "known version") of the same file in question!

I have never touched any files in the whole bloody install.

I wish you guys would take a little more time for issuing patches, and building installers. With the current state of procedure (delaying a patch, then screwing it up, then announcing a hotfix, then issuing instructions to re-download the 1.40 beta - what for, it'S still the same old as of 7 Feb) you are just annoying customers.

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

We understand and it is not something we planned, as soon as we found out files were corrupted, all we could do is solve it as fast as possible and do damage control. So our apologies.

But please also consider these files are Open, so voluntarily, and Beta, so roughly tested. It is not any official released patch yet. Maybe this is a not clear enough, these file are Open Beta patches.

We always try and make this very clear, we need help testing towards a final stable patch and for this we require and ask for some volunteers helping testing our Open Beta`s.

We are a very small team though and with minimum resources, so I hope you understand we can use any feedback and we will try to improve and patch our games as good and fast as we can.

If you feel unfamiliar and annoyed by testing, because there always is a change you will hit a bug or will experience some problems, just stick to the official patches. We just cannot promise this will never happen again in any Open Beta, just that we do our best and try to avoid it in the future.

Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

I fail to see the connection between a hastily built installer (which checks for files which aren't actually included in the update - and when finding one, simply shuts down) and a patch being a Beta Version.

I still have the feeling the patch - beta or not is irrelevant - was delivered in haste, judging simply on the state of the installer. And being a small team is no excuse - as if one is needed - but rather the explanation. Just because you're a small team, you have reason enough to put more care in releasing patches, beta or not.

What also irks me, is that first, a official patch is announced, and then a beta comes along.

Why the rush? And why such a confused information policy?

As a comparison, if you check in the WitP-AE forum, there's a single person working on patches, he makes actually NO announcements, the installer for this patches are rock solid - and everyone is happy over there.

I'm neither annoyed, nor am unfamiliar with testing. What annoys me though, is unprofessional behaviour and/or unprofessional Information policy. But sure, I would also be happy with official patches.

The problem is... that this game, even with the official patches, is unplayable for a couple of reasons - and one of them is a gross imbalance.

What I did now, was to uninstall the game, doing a re-install, then applying the Beta patch and the hotfix - this time,the installer was not mucking around, all went smooth.

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

What I did now, was to uninstall the game, doing a re-install, then applying the Beta patch and the hotfix - this time,the installer was not mucking around, all went smooth.

Happy you got it sorted.

P.S. On a side note Matrix does all installers for all patches for all developers, I just don`t feel like spending more time on defending against wrong and false assumptions.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

As a comparison, if you check in the WitP-AE forum, there's a single person working on patches, he makes actually NO announcements, the installer for this patches are rock solid - and everyone is happy over there.

Hi Hotschi with the greatest respect, I think its a large strech of the imagination to compare Commander The Great War, with WITP AE ! Yes one person can do patches,Mods,new Scenarios,art for Ships & Aircraft etc,I know I have done it myself single handed,but WITP AE comes with an all inclusive editor that is a joy to use, see photo.( Also there have been occasions where a hot fix has been released )

Attachments
WITPAEEditor.jpg
WITPAEEditor.jpg (259.25 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Commander The Great War on the other hand is a whole different ball game, where there is no editor, but you do have Lua scripts that are moddable see photo. On a personal level, I know for a fact that the software wiz kid,is excellent at what he does,and as for myself I have always tried to do the best I can for any game that I get involved with. For example if it was not for my efforts over the last few years,War Plan Orange would indeed be in a sorry state.If mistakes are made,they are just that mistakes,and for that I'm sorry![:(]

Attachments
TypicalLuascript.jpg
TypicalLuascript.jpg (167.39 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Make it so!
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Kirk23, also with the greatest respect from me; you know as well as I do that the in-built editor is of no use when working on the code of that other game. Doing scenarios is one thing, altering the code is quite another. And you know that I haven't meant the information policy of any scenario makers, but of the one person working on the code.

Which tools are in use is irrelevant. You don't need any tools for taking time for doing patches and not rushing them. You don't need any tools for a decent information policy either.

All I say is don't spoil this game by annoying customers. I've purchased dozens of games at this site, and some went off the hard-disk without any fuss or regret. I don't mind. As Forrest Gump says, "s*t happens"...

But I want this potential gem to WORK and be an enjoyable challenge and experience - and not have it "repaired to death" so to speak.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Then we both want the same thing, this is a very good game with a lot of potential.[;)]

I would very much like your input along with the other forum members, as to game play,so that adjustments can be made where needed.[:)]
Make it so!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”