Wild Sheep Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JonReb

Might not be the full story as to why they won't fly but I've also noticed that search (even 10%) seems to help get a strike group into the air and on target. Never had a chance to test it with this scale of aircraft however.

You'd think the DL from being hit by a torpedo would be enough to get the other groups flying in the afternoon. S***, they could have sent a runner if the radio wasn't working! [:D]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

So with everything tweaked as well as I can get it working at this point, we go forward again. Jocke must be a bit flustered by this. his tone makes it sound like the ships must have significant damage, which is good. I don't remember him sending me an unfinished turn for a long while.

I set the Kyushu groups a bit farther out, so they might run into CAP. I set a few very minor surprises that probably won't do much if anything. One Frances group is on night strike with TT, and it's able to search at night as well, so we'll see if that does anything. I also set one Peggy groups to bomb Amami-Oshima just for fun, as I'm sure it'll have most fighters sweeping or LR CAPing the BBs coming in. Or maybe I lose 20 bombers.

The subs to the West of Moppo couldn't have been in a better spot, so I'm hoping one gets lucky. MTBs will move into the hex immediately in the night, and it's low moon, so you never know.
Attachments
map5th.jpg
map5th.jpg (808.49 KiB) Viewed 87 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
sanch

Post by sanch »

This is one wild end-game!

And to think that this is what I get to look forward to in another 2-3 years (assuming I last that long).
jonreb31

Post by jonreb31 »

Man! Can we catch a break from all the action? Just kidding.
jonreb31

Post by jonreb31 »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Might not be the full story as to why they won't fly but I've also noticed that search (even 10%) seems to help get a strike group into the air and on target. Never had a chance to test it with this scale of aircraft however.

You'd think the DL from being hit by a torpedo would be enough to get the other groups flying in the afternoon. S***, they could have sent a runner if the radio wasn't working! [:D]

It must be a remarkable scene at one of these airbases of yours. The news that the pride of the US navy gets stuck in the mud on the outskirts of the homeland and only a few groups decide to take off! Every honorable Japanese soldier, sailor, pilot, and civilian should have jumped into the closest plane and flown in the general direction of THAT-A-WAY!

obvert

Post by obvert »

It must be a remarkable scene at one of these airbases of yours. The news that the pride of the US navy gets stuck in the mud on the outskirts of the homeland and only a few groups decide to take off! Every honorable Japanese soldier, sailor, pilot, and civilian should have jumped into the closest plane and flown in the general direction of THAT-A-WAY!

Exactly. The supply thing is so weird too. There are torps in the HQ, but the supply dips to 15k, so the planes don't fly? Yet at another base with 15k supply that is farther form the target they do fly?

Some thing you just have to take with a grain of salt and a shot of single malt scotch!
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

I think this is one of the most critical aspects of your situation.

The problem is that your picture on supply is always incomplete and out of date. The reason is because the supply movement phase happens before you can access the save, so you will not receive any information about the situation before the supply phase. So during the turn a few percent up/down can mean the difference between a closed base and successful mission.

Probably not much you can do there except adapt your expectations accordingly.
setloz

Post by setloz »

Could the problem be that there is so little supply to go around everywhere to meet the 3x requirements? Hence the engine could be shuffling it chaotically because of too many requests that cannot be met?
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”
Gen. George S. Patton
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: setloz

Could the problem be that there is so little supply to go around everywhere to meet the 3x requirements? Hence the engine could be shuffling it chaotically because of too many requests that cannot be met?

I've never liked the 3x aspect to supply and I wouldn't be surprised if this was contributing to the problem.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've always throughout the game used search with every strike group. Only lately have I been using groups without search since there is so much FP, Patrol and surface search going on both night and day. It could be it this time though, but that would be pretty lame considering the planes hitting the CVs recently were fine without searching.

I agree, but it's one of those things that remain a mystery. One day things fly and the next under apparently the same conditions they don't. This is one aspect of the game that causes me the most difficulty, but as LoBaron mentions, I need to lower my expectations so when things are pooched I won't have a stroke. Still damn frustrating though! [:D]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

So the paras can at least determine how bad things are at Moppo, I hope. The So Pac command is there, though, so that will not fall easily with any combat support. I'll go through the units I know are there and post soon.

Wouldn't that be quite the nice coup with a capture of Allied supply and fuel from the base? [8D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I've always throughout the game used search with every strike group. Only lately have I been using groups without search since there is so much FP, Patrol and surface search going on both night and day. It could be it this time though, but that would be pretty lame considering the planes hitting the CVs recently were fine without searching.

I agree, but it's one of those things that remain a mystery. One day things fly and the next under apparently the same conditions they don't. This is one aspect of the game that causes me the most difficulty, but as LoBaron mentions, I need to lower my expectations so when things are pooched I won't have a stroke. Still damn frustrating though! [:D]

I personally think it's s*** to have to lower expectations that a bunch of planes in the same well supported well supplied, well-led airbase should not fly, should fly all over the place except at the biggest threat 2-3 hexes away or that certain missions fly to a target and others won't.

in the war there were some missions that were just too important not to go. What if Halsey had said to Jimmie Doolittle, ah, I guess we've been sighted, it's a little rough today, maybe lets not do this and head back?
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

So the paras can at least determine how bad things are at Moppo, I hope. The So Pac command is there, though, so that will not fall easily with any combat support. I'll go through the units I know are there and post soon.

Wouldn't that be quite the nice coup with a capture of Allied supply and fuel from the base? [8D]

Would have been. Not so possible now. Update on it's way.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Well, as usual when faced with tough circumstances, Jocke goes for it. If I'd made the choice to hit the Iowas with the IJN I would have run into several DD, CL/DD and PT TFs on the way, plus the Iowas themselves. Would've been fun to watch, but I'm glad I played my hunch and held back.

As usual, subs began the turn, with mine getting nailed by the Allied DDs. I-202's luck runs out!

Attachments
Screenshot..07.24.57.jpg
Screenshot..07.24.57.jpg (540.5 KiB) Viewed 87 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

After this we got a sighting of the biggest of the big before the MTB was vaporized. nice that two are burning, which makes me feel like at least those hits are somewhat serious. [8D]

Attachments
Screenshot..07.24.00.jpg
Screenshot..07.24.00.jpg (687.17 KiB) Viewed 87 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

Two other subs were nullified before the Allied hordes arrived and kicked out my little mischief makers. No other sightings of the BBs, so they made it to safety.

Attachments
Screenshot..07.27.02.jpg
Screenshot..07.27.02.jpg (690.84 KiB) Viewed 87 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

One sub managed to take out a DD damaged from yesterday, but that was it for them.

Attachments
Screenshot..07.29.23.jpg
Screenshot..07.29.23.jpg (549.81 KiB) Viewed 87 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

This TF would have really screwed up the old BBs if they'd been sent out. There is so much good stuff on the Allied side!!! Amazing this has all been just sailing around up North while I had fun nuking Moppo for a week or two. One TF like this would have put a stop to that.

Attachments
Screenshot..07.27.30.jpg
Screenshot..07.27.30.jpg (694.94 KiB) Viewed 87 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

My night Frances fly but can't get a hit. They are set to 11 hexes and should have easily spotted the BBs, but don't go for them. Too bad.

Attachments
Screenshot..09.44.59.jpg
Screenshot..09.44.59.jpg (604.04 KiB) Viewed 87 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

I think coastwatcher reports negatively impact results here by increasing DL on TFs in Moppo, and also do this during the day phase air strikes to come. The Emily also can't hit anything.

Attachments
Screenshot..09.45.13.jpg
Screenshot..09.45.13.jpg (603.59 KiB) Viewed 87 times

Return to “After Action Reports”