Estab database could not be opened

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

RangerX3X

Estab database could not be opened

Post by RangerX3X »

I am using the public beta update 4.6.270 (BUILD 4.6.270 - BFTB RELEASE HOTFIX PATCH #6) and can open existing scenarios however I cannot start a new scenario (with any Estab) without receiving the following error:

navwarcol

RE: Estab database could not be opened

Post by navwarcol »

I am trying to duplicate this and so far cannot. Is there any chance that your estab files might have changed their name or extension somehow?
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I ask the above because I saw your profile and the PACOPS you are working on. I also am working on some various projects with using this game, and have made that mistake before in mixing up some of the files between my own and the vanilla here.
Great concept, by the way, PACOPS looks extremely interesting.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

Hi navwarcol,

The estab files appear to have changed, but not from anything I have done directly to them (other than downloading the latest patch).

They used to show as associated with the Estab Editor, now the estab files all show the default Windows icon as if they are not associated with any program.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

You may want to manually go in and check that you have a"bftbestab" with a .coe extension, and one with a .xml extension. And ifyou do, you mayhave to go into windows and re-set those extension types to be opened by the game exe.
If they are not showing as "BFTBEstab.coe" and "BFTBEstab.xml" --- for instance if part of the filename was somehow changed (it happens)
then you can also just see what is wrong with the name, and rename it back.. ie. if the file somehow changed its name to "BFTBEstab.co" then it would do as you said above, would present you with a windows icon and not know how to open a ".co" file... just hit "rename" and then add the 'e' at the end. That has happened to my own before, with other programs, never with this one, but I know sometimes the little 1's and 0's do weird things.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Anyone else got this error or not?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

This works in the release version for me. We never did get the debug version working though - and that was the same symptom.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Tim, do you have several estab files with the same name but in different folders, under the Estab folder?
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

You may want to manually go in and check that you have a"bftbestab" with a .coe extension, and one with a .xml extension. And ifyou do, you mayhave to go into windows and re-set those extension types to be opened by the game exe.
If they are not showing as "BFTBEstab.coe" and "BFTBEstab.xml" --- for instance if part of the filename was somehow changed (it happens)
then you can also just see what is wrong with the name, and rename it back.. ie. if the file somehow changed its name to "BFTBEstab.co" then it would do as you said above, would present you with a windows icon and not know how to open a ".co" file... just hit "rename" and then add the 'e' at the end. That has happened to my own before, with other programs, never with this one, but I know sometimes the little 1's and 0's do weird things.

The files have the correct extensions.
ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

Tim, do you have several estab files with the same name but in different folders, under the Estab folder?

No, but I do have a shortcut folder that takes me to where I keep backups in other subfolders:

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Tim,

Point of clarification. What app are you using when you get this error?  Is it the Game or the ScenMaker? It looks like its the ScenMaker. I can certainly create a new scenario using a range of estabs and maps in the current ScenMaker. We did have this problem before which was caused by an error in the file path code. That should be fixed now.

What drive is your Game directory on? Eg standard C drive or some other drive.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

Hi Dave,

I am using the ScenMaker, and I only receive the error when trying to create a new scenario with any estab/map combination. I can open an existing scenario without issue.

The game directory is in the standard C path.

If it makes any difference, I downloaded the patch from the FTP site, not the Members Club area.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

Just following-up to see if I should do a reinstall of the game and expansion pack or wait for a hotfix.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

There will be nothing in the hotfix, which I am building as I type, that will address this issue.
Here I have my data and Cmd Ops apps on my E drive. My C drive is a flash drive and its too small for data. It all works fine for me. Is there anyone else out there working from their c drive that is having this problem?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

There will be nothing in the hotfix, which I am building as I type, that will address this issue.
Here I have my data and Cmd Ops apps on my E drive. My C drive is a flash drive and its too small for data. It all works fine for me. Is there anyone else out there working from their c drive that is having this problem?

I have been able to recreate the following three times in a row without deviation which leads me to believe the issue has something to do with the 4.6.270 patch available from the Members Club area. Unfortunately for me if it was not addressed in the hotfix then I may be out of luck in terms of using the ScenMaker for creating new content:

Uninstalled CmdOps and deleted the Battles from the Bulge folder from the C:\Matrix Games path

Installed CmdOps base game (4.0.229) and verified that the following load properly:

Game
ScenMaker
Estab Editor
Map Maker

Installed HTTR expansion pack (4.3.249 with auto-updater) and verified that the following load properly:

Game
ScenMaker
Estab Editor
Map Maker

Installed patch 4.4.263 from the following location:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/downloads/

And verified that the following load properly:

Game
ScenMaker
Estab Editor
Map Maker

Installed patch 4.6.270 from the Members Club area and verified that the following load properly:

Estab Editor
Map Maker

The following does not load properly:

Game (crashes when trying to start the Joe's Bridge scenario from the HTTR expansion pack)
ScenMaker (errors out when trying to create a new scenario with the message listed in the OP)

If I go into the Map Maker and load/save the "Joesbrig" map, then the scenario loads without the game crashing, however creating a new scenario with ScenMaker still errors out (even with the "Joesbrig" map).

All installations and patching were done with "Run as administrator".

During these tests, there were no user made files (estabs, maps, scenarios, etc.) present in the game directory that could cause any possible conflict.

Honestly I am not complaining, just stating what is a reality for me at the moment (fully cognizant that I seem to be the only one reporting this as a problem).
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

I hope this gets resolved Tim. It would be a shame for CO community if PACOPS work goes dark because of a patch issue.

dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I can report that Joes Bridge is working fine for me.
Not that it helps you much to know that [:(]
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I have just tried to make a new scenario, and just had the same error message as you though.
So maybe that is some help to know its not your setup causing it.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

I have just tried to make a new scenario, and just had the same error message as you though.
So maybe that is some help to know its not your setup causing it.

Sorry to hear you have the issue as well daz.

At least I know now I am not crazy.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Tim,

I have followed your steps and it works fine for me. It may be due to the fact that we have changed the scenario format. I know for sure that the ScenRealForce class was changed. I have not shipped converted HTTR scenarios with the beat builds. We only do that with a final patch. Can you try something for me.

[ol][*]First make a backup of your Joe's Bridge scenario file.
[*]Open the latest ScenMaker - ie from 4.6.270.
[*]Then Go to the File menu and select Convert. This will open a file requestor dialog.
[*]Select the Joe's Bridge scenario and hit OK. It should convert the scenario.
[*]Close ScenMaker.
[*]Run the Game
[*]Start a New Game selecting Joe's Bridge.[/ol]
Let me know if that allowed you to run the scenario in the Game.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

Hello Dave,

When using ScenMaker 4.6.270 there is no menu option for Convert anywhere that I can find (I am using the tool that shipped with the game, not a developer build if there is one).

Joe's Bridge is no longer an issue as I simply opened it in the Map Maker then selected save, which resolve the load issue and game crash that occurs with maps that are not "re-saved" in that manner.

The issue with creating a new scenario from scratch (the OP) still persists.

Return to “Tech Support”