More Guadalcanal issues

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

76mm

More Guadalcanal issues

Post by 76mm »

Making some progress with the naval rules, but still can't figure a couple of things out with the Guadalcanal scenario:

1) one interface issue: the naval detail form does not seem to roll up or minimize at all, and if you close it and reopen it, it never opens up where it was when you closed it. This is getting irritating, because I am trying to keep it on a second monitor, but it just refuses to stay there! Any tips?

2) I tried several times during the game to invade Guadalcanal, but never took it. Towards the end of the game, I had units in an amphib in the sea area below and to the left of Guadalcanal, from where I had tried to invade the island several previous times (but the invading unit was destroyed), but the game would not let me place an invading unit on the island (got the X mark). I could, however, invade australia, so I can't figure out why I could not invade Guadalcanal?
Joseignacio

RE: More Guadalcanal issues

Post by Joseignacio »

Weather? You cannot invade in Storm.

I am not sure wether some units you can transport them in an AMPH but cannot invade from it. in case this is correct, which kind of unit was that?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

heh, both good points which have caused me problems in the past, but in the case, for two impulses in a row, I could not invade Guadalcanal, but could invade Australia. I think an amphib was involved both times, once with a marine, once with a normal inf unit.

However, I think that the hex I invaded in Australia was a minor port--would that have made a difference? For instance, could I invade a port in a storm?
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

No, in storm you can never invade anything.

Sorry if it sounds stupid but... ¿were you at war with USA?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yup, was fighting the US all the time at sea. But IIRC in this scenario Guadalcanal is controlled by the CW (at least that's what the flag said...), with whom I was also at war.

I'll try this scenario again and try to replicate.

Does anyone have any tips for the Naval Detail Form? Having a second monitor would be much more useful if I could get this form to behave.
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Does anyone have any tips for the Naval Detail Form? Having a second monitor would be much more useful if I could get this form to behave.
Use the Screen Layouts to position the form where you desire and which information is displayed. See the Players Manual Volume 2, page 205 for more information.

-Rob
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Making some progress with the naval rules, but still can't figure a couple of things out with the Guadalcanal scenario:

1) one interface issue: the naval detail form does not seem to roll up or minimize at all, and if you close it and reopen it, it never opens up where it was when you closed it. This is getting irritating, because I am trying to keep it on a second monitor, but it just refuses to stay there! Any tips?

2) I tried several times during the game to invade Guadalcanal, but never took it. Towards the end of the game, I had units in an amphib in the sea area below and to the left of Guadalcanal, from where I had tried to invade the island several previous times (but the invading unit was destroyed), but the game would not let me place an invading unit on the island (got the X mark). I could, however, invade australia, so I can't figure out why I could not invade Guadalcanal?
Well, here's a shot: the program (probably) prevents you from overstacking in an invasion hex. So if you were trying to pile in units to get good odds, the last few units might fail. The most obvious cause for not being able to perform invasions is the number of available land moves and land attacks. If you took a combined, then those limits almost always play a role in possible invasions.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
So if you were trying to pile in units to get good odds, the last few units might fail. The most obvious cause for not being able to perform invasions is the number of available land moves and land attacks. If you took a combined, then those limits almost always play a role in possible invasions.

Both times I could not invade Guadalcanal:
1) it was a single unit, so not an issue of overstacking; and
2) I don't think it was an issue of land moves because while I could not invade Guadalcanal, I scrolled over to Australia and could invade there (unless invading into a port would not count as a land move...)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I still can't get the Naval Review Detail to roll up, either on the primary or secondary monitor...does anyone else have this problem? If I click on the "roll-up" button, nothing happens... I already exited and re-entered the game, didn't help.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

I still can't get the Naval Review Detail to roll up, either on the primary or secondary monitor...does anyone else have this problem? If I click on the "roll-up" button, nothing happens... I already exited and re-entered the game, didn't help.

Same here, on both monitors. It flashes once black and stays open. Something for the Tech support area.

Return to “WIF School”