Totally worth the $100.00!!!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

CSSS

Totally worth the $100.00!!!

Post by CSSS »

World in Flames was totally worth the $100.00 I have played this game since the original 1984 version. At one time to play wit ALL the expansions, Politics in Flames and the laminated maps and each counter clipped and silicone so when with put tacky on them to stay put on the wall mounted maps I had over $500.00 invested in the game and days of labor. NOW I turn on the computer, hot seat play with my bud and that is all it cost!

No missing counters, no rules lawyer debates for hours , no intensive labor for set up. Those who complain about the hundred dollar price tag have never played a full game of wIF!

AxelNL

RE: Totally worth the $100.00!!!

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: CSS

World in Flames was totally worth the $100.00 I have played this game since the original 1984 version. At one time to play wit ALL the expansions, Politics in Flames and the laminated maps and each counter clipped and silicone so when with put tacky on them to stay put on the wall mounted maps I had over $500.00 invested in the game and days of labor. NOW I turn on the computer, hot seat play with my bud and that is all it cost!

No missing counters, no rules lawyer debates for hours , no intensive labor for set up. Those who complain about the hundred dollar price tag have never played a full game of wIF!

You are one of the folks this PC-based version was made for! Be aware there are still bugs to iron out, but that is a matter of time.
Nice to read your post. [:)]
CSSS

Post by CSSS »

When ever we get a crash there are SO many back up points that it is very easy to restore!
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

When ever we get a crash there are SO many back up points that it is very easy to restore!

It is great to read a positive post like this. Welcome to the club CSS, you are really going to enjoy it.

Axel has rightly pointed out the game is'nt entirely 'finished'& polished, but with a game of this magnitude that is hardly surprising. Enjoy your latest aquisition, and as I said to my wife who commented archly on the price tag, ...'this is my last gaming demand....'[:D]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

And she believes you [X(]?
MadSlag

Post by MadSlag »

+1

I'm very happy with this purchase and have no regets about the game.

Mike
petrosian

Post by petrosian »

Years ago when I was a teenager I bought a board game called Tobruk for about $29, set it all up and tried to play it myself. After a while I just shook my head and wished I had someone to play this with. Now in 2013 I bought a computer game called World in Flames for $99 Set it up, and shook my head and wished I had someone to play it with. I understand how people who had the boardgame believe this is a gift from God. But for someone who has been playing computer wargames since " Clash of Steel", I find it hard to believe a company can release a game in 2013 without a playable AI. And with all the effort trying to get netplay fixed, I don't believe there will ever be a playable, competent AI.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

And she believes you [X(]?

Unfortunately I think she has sussed me, is rearming and negotiating an alliance with Poland[:(]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well that makes me feel better [:)] Otherwise I was going to ask if you would share on how you accomplished this worthy goal. When I tell mine this she just rolls her eyes [:D]

As far as the game goes, I too am very happy with it and at the price (with books and shipping). And agree it is a bargin at the price. I told my wife it was my Christmas present, but she still got me something anyway he he [;)]

Petrosian,
There are other games without an AI besides this one btw. Ones that have stated that will NEVER have one versus one that will at least be attempted. Also as far as I know, no game released to date has what I would consider a competent AI. At least one that does not cheat in some way. So if you think WiF is going to have one, you definately bought the wrong game. Even without an AI, I am still enjoying it. I am sorry that you do not feel that way. But that is what makes forums so interesting. The different viewpoints and we can simply agree to disagrre in our views. At least most of the time [:)]
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

It took me a while to pull the trigger. I have to agree it's totally worth the money. The game, books and support have been great.
dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

I made a similar post about the game's value a few weeks ago. I was on the fence due to the price, but am very impressed with the books (and love the DVD with my name on it lol). I am trying to figure out where I hid my copy of 5th edition WIF and add ons. I played the board version for many years and was very happy to get the computerized version. My friends and I used to play until life changed weekly. Now we can play again.
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

It's taken me 100 hours to complete one global war game 1939-1945 in solitaire mode. That works out to $1 per hour of fun, and I only played the game all the way through once!

That's quite the value.

Now I'm off to play through the game again trying some new strategies. Eventually I'll be ready to play another human being.

The value of the game only increases as I keep playing it.
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

I miss read that ... though you payed 100.000$
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

I miss read that ... though you payed 100.000$
Yes, I did too at first. It's $ 100,--, not the silly way they write figures overseas...[:D]
Peter
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

It's taken me 100 hours to complete one global war game 1939-1945 in solitaire mode. That works out to $1 per hour of fun, and I only played the game all the way through once!

That's quite the value.

Now I'm off to play through the game again trying some new strategies. Eventually I'll be ready to play another human being.

The value of the game only increases as I keep playing it.

I reckon the bottom line here is that you enjoyed doing it. For me solitaire was good to learn the game play and try out a few strategies, but having it crash every so often for one thing or another and trying to find work arounds just isn't a lot of fun. Without an AI or functional online capability, this game is collecting dust for the time being.
Grumkin

Post by Grumkin »

Finally asked my wife to let me buy the game last week. She is the best! no hesitation, just said ok Hon. So far I am enjoying the solitaire mode while I relearn the game. It has been 15 years since I last played the boxed version. I have faith that eventually the net play and AI will get done, guess I am just an optimist. I hope more people will buy the game get involved on the forum, post, and support the game, thank you all for your years of working on this...
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

And how does that turn out.. the turning on the computer and starting a game..
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
npilgaard

Post by npilgaard »

Nice post [:)]
Regards
Nikolaj

Return to “World in Flames”