Open Beta Patch 1.4.1

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Wolfe1759

Open Beta Patch 1.4.1

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Only played a couple of turns so far but I think Small Garrisons might need a look at in regard to the AI.

Playing as Entente the AH AI's Small Garrison from (I assume) Temeschburgh rapidly decamped and is now on the Serbian border, I'm assuming Small Garrisons aren't meant to be this aggressive.

Maybe make them immobile but disbandable ?
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
operating

RE: Open Beta Patch 1.4.1

Post by operating »

NATO symbols on small garrisons could be a little more discreet.

colored country boundary lines, also could be more discreet. Might there be consideration about a "hotkey" to show these boundary lines?
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Only played a couple of turns so far but I think Small Garrisons might need a look at in regard to the AI.

Playing as Entente the AH AI's Small Garrison from (I assume) Temeschburgh rapidly decamped and is now on the Serbian border, I'm assuming Small Garrisons aren't meant to be this aggressive.

Maybe make them immobile but disbandable ?

The Small Garrison was never intended to be aggressive,in the 1.50 patch this will be addressed, but the way the game is coded you need movement before you can swap positions with other units,or be able to disband,I have made it impossible to transport by RAIL,so if it is moving about it won't get there very fast 1 hex at a time,this unit is 95% there in what it is supposed to do,in the next patch its roll will be defensive.

Patch 1.50 will be mostly about updating the games AI, and mostly the Naval AI at that because it ain't clever.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

quote:

ORIGINAL: johnnybravo

!!! Proper patch 1.4 beta is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/391 ... 0patch.exe

Please install it over previous (screwed) patch.

If anyone has a problem getting this link to work for them, please go over to the Slitherine Forum the link there works perfectly.

Link below takes you to Slitherine Forum.

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 9972edff34

I have just tried both these links and they download the new hot fix beta patch enjoy![:)]

Please note : New Game Play Change Entente War Effort Now Increased In Stages.

Attachments
Entente wa..increase.jpg
Entente wa..increase.jpg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

SP ENTENTE 1914 has gone smooth so far (turn 5). Unexpected production turns for garrisons (2 turns before deploying), infantry (4 turns), has quite an effect on strategy. A player may want to keep a spare Garrison in the production panel per country, ready to deploy just in case of emergencies.

England get's robbed of it's 4 transports, it's now down to 2, which I don't think is too cool.

Austria is aggressive attacking Serbia, I'm already getting my ass kicked there. The game PP is "stingy", compared to past versions. Austria knows it can wear you down faster than your PP can repair and replace your units, so plan accordingly for defense, IMO. Tried offense with Serbia and got burnt because of the low PP.

Belgians barely held onto Liege from German attack, there are a lot of ways to disrupt the German offensive initiative, not a time to go to sleep.

It's a new game, "Don't expect, the expected".
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Please remember this is still a beta release,we will look closely at gamer's feedback, and fine tune Countries PP etc.Before official 1.40 patch release![;)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Your in for "Sticker Shock" when it comes to buying Management Assets of this beta patch, IMO, way over priced!

It's the same crap with these commanders, the restrictions on them S____......
operating

Post by operating »

Is there a reason why Brugge, Belgium was left off the map? Also, was there a French infantry in Algiers 1914 in previous versions? I may be mistaken.

The Baltic Sea Blockade just went into effect. Does that stop the Norway supply ship from entering Keil, or other German ports? or stay active in any way, till the Blockade is broken?

Just won back Brussels. Belgium research does not show an artillery tech, like in prior version.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Answer to Question 1 = The reason for removing the City off Brugge from Belgium,was because a number of gamer's were struggling with The Schlieffen Plan.Yes there was French infantry in Algiers 1914 in previous versions,I tried to add a new event screen,that highlighted the arrival off the French Infantry unit,but the new event screen caused a crash in testing,so it was left out,before the game gets final release I will reinstate the Infantry unit in Algiers.

Answer to Question 2 = No it does not stop the Norway supply to the German North sea ports it gets delivered to Cuxhaven.

Answer to Question 3 = I checked the history off Belgium Artillery production and they had none, all Artillery in use by Belgium was purchased from other Countries,this is why I removed Belgium Artillery from production.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

So what has been changed with the Open Beta Patch 1.4.1

1 : Entente has less PPs. ( plus the Entente War Effort Increases In Stages )

2 : Central Powers have more PPs.

3 : Garrisons now take 2 turns to build.

4 : Infantry now take 4 turns to build.

5 : Britain Transport capacity reduced to 2. ( still double any other nation )

6 : Artillery,Rail & Transport now costs more to increase their capacity.

7 : Port & Green Area Defence, now much more of a deterrant too attacking forces.

8 : Fighter aircraft from the start off the war, are little more than Air Recon.

9 : Research has been slowed slightly,even when focused.

10 : Brugge & Small Garrison in Belgium removed from the game.

11 : Infantry unit in Belgium reduced to a Garrison unit.

12 : 2 German Garrison units near Metz fortress, are now Infantry units.

13 : Bulgaria now does join the war.

14 : Canadian Corps now arrive in Britain as per the Event Message.

15 : German Baltic Convoy message,now correctly reports that Russia has blockaded German Ports in the Baltic.

16 : Italy not as strong as before.

There are other changes, but if I tell you then that would spoil the surprise,needless to say you will have to use more strategy in your game play.[;)]

It is past 1am here in Scotland,so I'm going to my bed now,I will reply to any other questions after I have had a sleep thank you ![:D]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

The attacking AI ground troops, seem to have exceptional (favorable) killing ratios, even when my troops have not moved and even have slight trenching (2-3 no barbwire yet). Trenching overall has been less (step lower, maybe more) than prior versions. It is, what it is for now.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi operating I'm glad you noticed this slight change,as you know the game starts with everything entrenched July - Aug,well that is not historical,it was not until September that the Western Front started to entrench.So to try to make the game more historical,early entrenchment has reduced effect,but it gets better with Research.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

The software wiz kid,did a lot to improve the graphics in game,so that the game plays better,with the vast majority of the different Graphics cards that are in use today.[:)]
Make it so!
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Hi operating I'm glad you noticed this slight change,as you know the game starts with everything entrenched July - Aug,well that is not historical,it was not until September that the Western Front started to entrench.So to try to make the game more historical,early entrenchment has reduced effect,but it gets better with Research.[;)]

That's an excellent little change.[:)]
Flimbo

Post by Flimbo »

Hi, I've played a couple of turns (as CP) and like most of the changes. A few comments so far:

-I've really problems to secure my convoys in the baltic sea. Russian battleship and 1-3 allied submarines give me shit. Succeeded in destroying the battleship due to a small AI blackout, but subs are still a problem. Even attack my cruisers and cause significant losses, even when I'm on a green hex (can attach save game if proof is needed)
-small garrisons are not yet perfect but ok. AI incorporates them in the frontline. Tried the same but in the long run repairing them costs too much MP
-AI turns take ages. Italy is not yet in the war and the AI need approxiamtely 7 mins to make all the moves.
-All the managment stuff (railway, ammo factories...) seems too expensive now. Don't know if my PP will increase later in the game, but right now I can hardly afford anything but repairing my units. 80 PP for the second railway is galactic, especially for AH. same is true for ammo
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Many thanks for feedback,very interesting observations,all messages are being read and taken on board,we all want the same thing,and that is to make the game more interesting.[;)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Do small garrisons benefit from techs (barbwire, ect.)?
as you know the game starts with everything entrenched July - Aug,well that is not historical,it was not until September that the Western Front started to entrench.So to try to make the game more historical,early entrenchment has reduced effect,but it gets better with Research.

Kinda figured that is what was going on, remember some past posts about this issue.

In the meantime, my guys take a hammering. They take one pop, then a second, by the third pop they are completely gone! I can see my MP% is going down fast for some countries. I'll deal with it; It seems like my units are no more than "Cannon Fodder" all too often.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Yes the the AI treats the Small Garrison just like any other land unit,so they benefit from Barbed wire etc.

Your troops are cannon fodder,well that is what happened world war 1, with a great many casualties, I will see what can be done to make the Garrison units a little more durable,before the final release of the 1.40 patch,if you feel this is needed?
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Can I ask a general question off you guys,how do you feel the game flows,for example do you think the Eastern front is more fluid as it was in history or is it a replica off the Western front with a lot of trench warfare ?
Make it so!
Radar8717

Post by Radar8717 »

After 3-4 games playing as CP:
The weakening of early entrenchment's benefits is the best new improvement in 1.4.1- simulating the early month's fluidity.
1) The Eastern front is very fluid and plays historical- needing German reinforcements ASAP.
That was a nice touch adding the German artillery unit for the East- helps to counterbalance the attacking Russian hordes.
2) The Western front is fluid enough to allow the option of an all out drive to the coast- satisfying The Schlieffen Plan lovers.

The AI turns are taking longer, sometimes 5-10 minutes after the Turks enter the war.
This could become an issue in the later years of the war, haven't play tested into 1915 yet.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”