A Nation of Shopkeepers - and Seamen?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dwg

A Nation of Shopkeepers - and Seamen?

Post by dwg »

Occasionally you have an idea that you don't know if you can be bothered to implement yourself, but that might interest other people, I think this falls into that classification.

I was musing on the fact we don't have any real distinction in the database between naval and merchant naval shipping and officers and it occurred to me that there might be a way around it. The Commonwealth nationality is mostly used to catch the odds and sods of shipping, and in fact very few of the merchant ships in it seem to be truly Commonwealth, Norwegians seem the biggest group represented. Equally there are very few naval vessels that would truly fit into the Commonwealth classification, the only ones I can think of are a single flotilla of SANF manned MLs that served with Eastern Fleet. With that in mind, there's actually the potential to use Commonwealth nationality to represent merchant shipping, and merchant officers, across the board and completely separate it out from your naval forces and officers.

It would be easy enough to implement for the ships, but a bit more work to do this for the leaders (which is why I'll probably not get around to doing it myself).
msieving1

RE: A Nation of Shopkeepers - and Seamen?

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: dwg

Occasionally you have an idea that you don't know if you can be bothered to implement yourself, but that might interest other people, I think this falls into that classification.

I was musing on the fact we don't have any real distinction in the database between naval and merchant naval shipping and officers and it occurred to me that there might be a way around it. The Commonwealth nationality is mostly used to catch the odds and sods of shipping, and in fact very few of the merchant ships in it seem to be truly Commonwealth, Norwegians seem the biggest group represented. Equally there are very few naval vessels that would truly fit into the Commonwealth classification, the only ones I can think of are a single flotilla of SANF manned MLs that served with Eastern Fleet. With that in mind, there's actually the potential to use Commonwealth nationality to represent merchant shipping, and merchant officers, across the board and completely separate it out from your naval forces and officers.

It would be easy enough to implement for the ships, but a bit more work to do this for the leaders (which is why I'll probably not get around to doing it myself).

Alternatively, there are some unused nationality numbers (3, 17, and 19). I wonder if there's any way to use these nationalities for civilian ships?
-- Mark Sieving
Terminus

RE: A Nation of Shopkeepers - and Seamen?

Post by Terminus »

No. Those are non-functional.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”