Slowing Down Exploration

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Leaddernoir

Slowing Down Exploration

Post by Leaddernoir »

Hi all,

I was wondering whether it is possible to make exploration occur slower in game. Is it possible to make the ai build/maintain a handful of exploration ships, rather than having 20 ships flying every which way every game start? Also, is it possible to make a hero give a fuel bonus so that exploration requires, well, an explorer?

Cheers
ehsumrell1

RE: Slowing Down Exploration

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Leaddernoir

Hi all,

I was wondering whether it is possible to make exploration occur slower in game. Is it possible to make the ai build/maintain a handful of exploration ships, rather than having 20 ships flying every which way every game start? Also, is it possible to make a hero give a fuel bonus so that exploration requires, well, an explorer?

Cheers
Hello Leaddernoir;

In the section where you set your race's policy stances you can. If I recall correctly you can adjust
exploration there to be faster, normal or slower. That will affect the number of explorerships your race
builds if set to automatic, and how many the advisor 'advises' to be built if your setting is at 'suggest' for ship building.

Heros (characters) do not have a skill or trait that specifically deals with building a certain
'type' of ship. Hyperspeed rate, military and civilian ship construction speed and things like
that only. Hope this helps!
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

even with 'slower' exploration, I believe the AI will trade maps.

realistically the only way to slow exploration is probably bigger maps and more stars.

you could try a very large amount of stars with # of habitable worlds turned significantly down
Leaddernoir

Post by Leaddernoir »

Thank you for the information guys,

Was able to slow it down but would love to be able to do the same for ai empires. Maybe when the new expansion comes out.

Cheers
Ardilus

Post by Ardilus »

Hi Leaddernoir. You should be able to adjust this for each race in the policy .txt files: ...\Distant Worlds\Policy\

You will find this line item:
ExplorationPriority ;1

All races are defaulted to value 1. I can't say what a good setting would be, but it looks to me like you want values between 0 and 1 for lower priority (such as how Atuuk has ResearchPriority at 0.5).

Leaddernoir

Post by Leaddernoir »

ORIGINAL: Ardilus

Hi Leaddernoir. You should be able to adjust this for each race in the policy .txt files: ...\Distant Worlds\Policy\

You will find this line item:
ExplorationPriority ;1

All races are defaulted to value 1. I can't say what a good setting would be, but it looks to me like you want values between 0 and 1 for lower priority (such as how Atuuk has ResearchPriority at 0.5).

Ah yes that's what I was looking for, thank you Ardilus. One more question, if I change a races Exploration Priority, will I need to start a new game for it to implement in game or can I just resume from a save game.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Another easy way to slow exploration would be to go into the ship design templates for each race and limit the number of fuel cells on explorer ships. This would force more frequent refueling, and limit exploration range.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Design and Modding”