Attackers halved attacking from frozen lake?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Klydon

Attackers halved attacking from frozen lake?

Post by Klydon »

I don't have the latest patch installed, but I don't recall reading anything on this either.

In my current game, the Russians are very well dug in at Leningrad, but the Germans have a plan to take the place.

The plan sort of took a step back when I realized that attackers from lake hexes are halved. (Terrain chart just mentions to treat them as clear terrain during snow and blizzard weather, etc).

I don't see a river wrapping around Leningrad (And it should not as the Neva runs east/west).

Here is a saved game with it being the Germans move. (Germans used an offensive chit this turn to help with Leningrad). Even the Finns are halved coming off the lake.

Attachments
Leningrad.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Zorachus99

RE: Attackers halved attacking from frozen lake?

Post by Zorachus99 »

This is correct, units on a lake are treated as attacking across river.

Not sure where it is in the RAC, but it should be there.

With the 2d10, taking Leningrad is all about winterized units and engineers. I usually attack in snow when the swamp turns to forest, and have 2 HQ's just hanging out for reorganization instead of the attack bonus. Nearly every turn is guaranteed two impulses, so if you can afford the attrition, only very bad planning or luck has Leningrad standing after two consecutive attacks.

I don't know if you can build ahead the SS 3 point engineer unit, as I've never made it to end of turn.

I read the bug reports, and based on them, the game isn't working well enough for me for me to not lose it. I'm very hopeful multi-player works in the coming months, as playing the game for over 20 years has made solitaire play dim in excitement.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Orm

Post by Orm »

This is easy to miss but you are not looking at the right place in the terrain chart. See picture. This is also mentioned as a clarification in RAC.

RAC: 11.16.1 Declaring combats
All land units are halved attacking across a river or canal. [Clarification. This applies to a unit attacking
from a frozen lake hex across a lake hexside. Note that all hexsides of a lake hex are considered lake hexsides - June
25, 2008.]

Attachments
Lake.jpg
Lake.jpg (371.54 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

It's not easy fighting on ice, just ask the Teutons... http://www.ask.com/wiki/Battle_of_the_I ... 1&qsrc=999

On a tangentially related note, it was cool seeing Eisenstein get a few seconds of screen time during the opening ceremonies last night.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Thank you gents.

I play with the 1D10 chart.

Some things I learned in my massive assault on Leningrad is that it takes a massive assault and you are not taking the place unless the swamp is frozen. (I had 17 points of defenders in there). Even with everything, including HQ support and a offensive chit with 6 hex attack, the attack went in on a 5-1. (Well over 100 on attack to 17 points of defense). Air support is pretty bad there no matter what you do. (Halved for the swamp or forest, then halved again in snow or full in regular, but then the defenders are doubled and you could have everything there and it would not make up for it).

Return to “Tech Support”