Post interface suggestions here

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

ralphtricky

Post interface suggestions here

Post by ralphtricky »

Please ;)

I'm looking for the obscure ideas.

I know the obvious ones, so we can skip those. I know that most screens leave a lot of real-estate around the edges, aren't aligned well, use arrows instead of a scroll bar, and don't sort when the headers are clicked on.

You should be able to leave the unit and oob screen up on the side.

I know the map doesn't scroll smoothly.

I'm not sure which of those will be fixed and which ones won't. Both because of the time required to implement what could become Windows and because I want to keep the interface clean. By clean, I mean that I'm not sure that being able to have two units up side by side trumps being able to scroll through a formation and see the units in it easily. Knowing the internet, I'll bet on a 50-50 split on that, but allowing both is going to make both clumsier, especially for people new to the interface.

I'm going to leave this to simmer for a while so I don't get too distracted.

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Lobster

RE: Post interface suggestions here

Post by Lobster »

A jump map similar to the one John Tiller uses in his Campaign series games. I realize you can jump around using the minimap but for a large map you still have to scroll the minimap. With a jump map the entire map will be displayed so you click on a spot and it takes you there, no scrolling any map to pick the location.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

The terrain graphic in the unit info screen makes the unit info difficult to read.

I would like to be able to scroll the main map by slamming the mouse pointer against the side of my screen, rather than having to hover over the edge of the map.

I usually play at 1280x720 on a 24 inch monitor. The huge icons are a little too big and the next size down are a little too small. I do like the huge icons at 1920x1080 but then the text is too small for my old eyes. I know this may be a tough one to fix.

I would like it if units would stop moving if they become adjacent to an enemy unit, so that I have to confirm if I want to risk a disengagement attack. Right now the unit will cruise right on past and get attacked, even when the enemy unit was previously unspotted. Also would like for movement to stop if any previously unseen enemy units become spotted during my movement.

I'll try to think of more.
Grognard

Post by Grognard »

The terrain graphic in the unit info screen makes the unit info difficult to read.

I would like to be able to scroll the main map by slamming the mouse pointer against the side of my screen, rather than having to hover over the edge of the map.
I would like it if units would stop moving if they become adjacent to an enemy unit, so that I have to confirm if I want to risk a disengagement attack. Right now the unit will cruise right on past and get attacked, even when the enemy unit was previously unspotted. Also would like for movement to stop if any previously unseen enemy units become spotted during my movement.

Seconded - and:

Does anybody ever use the 3d unit icons ? I wouldn't miss this option a bit.
Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em
wodin

Post by wodin »

Someone posted some great screenshots of a mod he was working on with regards to the unit\terrain info box..was clean and crisp and looked so much better. it's on the forum somewhere. Not sure he ever completed that bit.

Just found it..scroll down post 198.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1161658&mpage=7&key=
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

When viewing the formation report, if I click on one of the units I would like to be taken to that unit's unit report, rather than going back to the main map.

Edit: Never mind, I just figured out how to do that! :)
SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

The PBEM playback feature for your opponent's turn is of very limited use, especially in large scenarios.
Anything that would allow the player to control playbacks and see more information would be welcome, e.g.
variable playback speeds, pause/rewind, zoom in/out, pause after combat.

Agree with Falcon1's request for unit's to stop moving when they discover or move adjacent to enemy units.
I would extend that to include stopping when you encounter the minefields that will be included in the next
version (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
GG A World Divided Playtester
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: SGT Rice

pause after combat.

And before. Pause before and after each Combat Round.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Telumar
pause after combat.
I'm not sure I know what you guys are talking about here. And you need a pause to do what exactly?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
pause after combat.
I'm not sure I know what you guys are talking about here. And you need a pause to do what exactly?

Larry, Falcon is asking that units stop when they encounter enemy units instead of entering and then leaving the enemy ZOC thus triggering an attack. And yes, stopping when a minefield is first encountered would also be nice.

Telumar is asking that after the first combat round and before and after each subsequent combat round in any particular battle the game pauses. Probably to see the results of each combat round. As it is right now the game just rolls through the combat regardless of the number of rounds in that combat and you see only the end results of all of the combat rounds instead of the results of each and every round.

+1 for both suggestions

Oh, and +1 for my jump map suggestion. I get tired of all the scrolling in big maps. The 700 hex ones will REALLY be slow.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Telumar is asking that after the first combat round and before and after each subsequent combat round in any particular battle the game pauses. Probably to see the results of each combat round. As it is right now the game just rolls through the combat regardless of the number of rounds in that combat and you see only the end results of all of the combat rounds instead of the results of each and every round.

Err... i think you misunderstand. I was refering to the combat in the PBEM playback.
berto

Post by berto »

[*]slowAnimation=Y/N. Already have that option, but beyond that, I'd like the capability to slow things down even more than the default. For example, animationSpeed=#, where # is some number from 0 (no slowdown, effectively slowAnimation=N) to 10 (or 100%), where the max is really, really slow. Or better, specify that slowdown in seconds or fractions of a second, so I can fine tune the animations precisely as slow or fast as I want.

[*]For enemy movement (in any game-play mode), the ability to optionally specify not just slow animation, but single-stepping through the enemy movement, one unit movement (beginning to end) per step. (Sure, seeing the enemy movement play out non-stop, one unit immediately after another, adds to FOW. Still, I tend not to like it. Stuff flies by so fast that I often can't process it, especially on large maps, where movements jump around all over the place.)

[*]Hot key as much as possible, letters, but also Ctrl- & Alt- combos. Everything in the Control Panel should have a hot key alternative. Hot key menu items, as many as possible, too.

[*]Document in-game -- via tooltips? in the Main Menu? in the Information Panel? -- every hot key alternative. I shouldn't have to reference a help file, when instead I could just see a hot key hint right there, in-game, as I hover the mouse over a Control Panel button, for example.

[*]Don't center on-screen the combat reports and other reports, where typically the reports obscure the action or area of attention. Instead, display off to the side or (lower left?) corner. Or better, make them moveable with click-and-drag.

[*]A Jump Map overlaying the main map, with a J hot key to summon the Jump Map. Then ditch the Microview Panel, and devote that space to expanding the Control Panel, else add something else really useful in that freed-up space.

[*]The ability to scroll the map in the Windows-standard fashion of moving the cursor anywhere along window's edge, not just at the corners and a few designated spots.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Err... i think you misunderstand. I was refering to the combat in the PBEM playback.

Ah, I see. I'd like to have the ability to do that during my turn too. Why just during the other guy's turn? Be able to turn it on or off for each battle. Get a better idea for what is happening instead of just rolling through the whole thing.

SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

pause after combat.

Actually what I had in mind was the option of pausing after each individual combat and seeing the combat results.
Something similar to what we see when watching the AI take its turn, but with a little more user control
(i.e., variable playback speeds, pause/rewind, zoom in/out).

I agree that a pause after Combat Rounds would also be a good option, with a visual indicator of how many
Rounds have passed at that point in the playback.
I'd like to have the ability to do that during my turn too. Why just during the other guy's turn?

That would be nice.
At the end of the game you would have a complete visual record of how the battle played out ... pretty cool. +1
ORIGINAL: berto
•Document in-game -- via tooltips? in the Main Menu? in the Information Panel? -- every hot key alternative.
I shouldn't have to reference a help file, when instead I could just see a hot key hint right there, in-game,
as I hover the mouse over a Control Panel button, for example.

A fine idea, +1.
GG A World Divided Playtester
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

How about a transparent HUD.
Limit Theory is a game I'm following from kickstarter, and while the game is the antithesis of TOAW, perhaps a new game gives opportunity for a completely new U.I. So the screen is all map, with expandable overlay widgets with sliding opacity control.
Check out the latest youtube updates for U.I description.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

How about a transparent HUD.
Limit Theory is a game I'm following from kickstarter, and while the game is the antithesis of TOAW, perhaps a new game gives opportunity for a completely new U.I. So the screen is all map, with expandable overlay widgets with sliding opacity control.
Check out the latest youtube updates for U.I description.
We'll see where I end up, I'm not a real fan of different opacities for the GUI in TOAW, not because it's difficult, but because I don't think it makes sense for this game, most elements can be clicked on, so making them transparent just makes them harder to read without adding value. In some places (like clouds) it makes a lot of sense, but I'm not so sure about other places.

Letting you at least show/hide different elements and possibly rearrange them does make sense. I'm not sure about the exact mechanism or which elements.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Cheers for the reply, just thought thinking out of the box might just give a different perspective.
Maximising map real estate is always a goal. It's why I find games like advanced tactics frustrating, On smallish laptops dialogue boxes take too big a percentage.
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

I mentioned this on the wish list page and got poo poo'd, but it would be nice to have the remaining movement allowance for each unit in one spot. Say as an additional column on the OOB page. I am forever missing units in the stacks.

TomC
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Agent S
Cheers for the reply, just thought thinking out of the box might just give a different perspective.
Maximising map real estate is always a goal. It's why I find games like advanced tactics frustrating, On smallish laptops dialogue boxes take too big a percentage.
Thinking out of the box is great. I don't want to discourage that. I'm probably too close to the problem to do that effectively and am more likely to think about optimizing the existing systems than try new ones because of that.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”