Books - recommendations

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Havelock

Books - recommendations

Post by Havelock »

I have a significant number of Osprey Publishing books on various weapon platforms and game relevant scenarios - but I've a gap in the old library when it comes to books covering current or historical naval tactics. Any suggestions on this?

Further on that - are there any other 'essential' books on Naval / Air Warfare post WW2?

Cheers,

Byron
--
Byron Farrow
Dimitris

RE: Books - recommendations

Post by Dimitris »

SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

Modern Naval Combat On Amazon for only 7 cents!
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
cwemyss

Post by cwemyss »

ORIGINAL: SSN754planker

Modern Naval Combat On Amazon for only 7 cents!

Highly tempted! My copy is a bit worn, and this would be an EXCELLENT use of my accidental Amazon Prime membership.
Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

I have just finished "arc light" and loved it. Next up is either
"defcon 1" or "Armageddons song" series.....which do you guys recommend? I don't mind a British-centric viewpoint of the latter but do want a mix of land combat and fleet operations
Havelock

Post by Havelock »

Navies in the Nuclear Age now ordered - and a lot cheaper for a used hardback via Abebooks.co.uk than Amazon.co.uk (especially with shipping to China!)

Still interested in any other overview, tactics, etc books ....

Cheers,

Byron
--
Byron Farrow
DannyJim_slith

Post by DannyJim_slith »

Fleet Tactics by Wayne Hughes USN.

Takes the history of naval tactics right through from ancients to a practical example of a Cold War CVBG strike.

Also the 'Janes Fleet Review' annuals from 81 -87 have some excellent insight into late cold war naval matters.
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Havelock

Post by Havelock »

Great suggestions - got the Woodward, agree with the recommendation.

Anyone looked at this - new edition published last year: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seapower-Twenty ... ROKL5A1OLE

Looks interesting, but more of a government strategy book than where to put your AEW assets ...
--
Byron Farrow
SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

I have the kindle version. It is very technical, no pictures, but i would consider it a must get.
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

As I state in the foreword of volume 1 of Armageddon's Song,'Stand-To', that I know jack-all about naval warfare, but I do a laymans description and all but volume 4 have a naval element (Volume 4 is all about the final land battle for Europe).
Here is an example from the Wiki site of some of the land and sea action in volume 3.
wiki Photo

I hope you are enjoying the series Mike?

Armageddon'd Song Wiki Page

Andy Farman
ORIGINAL: mikeCK

I have just finished "arc light" and loved it. Next up is either
"defcon 1" or "Armageddons song" series.....which do you guys recommend? I don't mind a British-centric viewpoint of the latter but do want a mix of land combat and fleet operations
Military fiction writer, the 'Armageddon's Song' series.
British Army veteran.
Havelock

Post by Havelock »

Hey Andy - I've spent most of the last week on holiday on the Isle of Skye, during which I've also managed to read all of the Armageddon's Song series! I've really enjoyed the military aspects (although I feel we're a little differently inclined on the politics [;)] ). I'd love for someone to create some CMANO scenarios based on the naval encounters.

Thanks again for the books,

Byron
--
Byron Farrow
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

ORIGINAL: Havelock

Hey Andy - I've spent most of the last week on holiday on the Isle of Skye, during which I've also managed to read all of the Armageddon's Song series! I've really enjoyed the military aspects (although I feel we're a little differently inclined on the politics [;)] ). I'd love for someone to create some CMANO scenarios based on the naval encounters.

Thanks again for the books,

Byron
Hi Byron,

I do not seem to receive any notifications of messages and I hope you did not think I was ignoring it.

I am a bumbling amateur on the naval side. (Douglas Reeman novels are my training pamphlet)
I have finally accepted that maps do not work very well on hand held electronic devices, especially as Amazon compress the files by 75% when you upload them.
I have finished the series as far as WW3 is concerned and I am now writing a prequel set in Vietnam with a couple of the main characters from the first books. The series is now available in the iTunes store but without the maps, they are restricted to the Kindle, paperback and hardcovers. The only nautical maps which went into the 2nd and 3rd volumes were pretty much token efforts. Perhaps future technology will allow them to work on small screens and perhaps Amazon will cease compressing them into low definition mush.

The sequel will have a lot of naval action but I won't begin writing that for a few months yet.

BTW, the five WW3 books are out in a back to back Kindle called 'The War Book', all 661K words for $9.99 as a winter read (It'll disappear with the spring).

Andy Farman

Attachments
potemkin3.jpg
potemkin3.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Military fiction writer, the 'Armageddon's Song' series.
British Army veteran.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”