Price

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
JudgeDredd

Price

Post by JudgeDredd »

Yep - it had to be brought up.

But in fact I'm not really asking what the price is going to be - my question is more generic and aimed at Matrix

Can I ask a question...

You know full well that pricing is one of your hottest topics when you release a game. You know it often kicks off a shit storm. It very often mars the release of a game, with very venomous posts coming from newcomers who have been waiting for a game for some time, hard core fans of your site and people who even lurk around, pinching a game here and there.

I know you have a lot to do in the run up to release but still, you know release day will kick you in the arse when you announce the price.

Why oh why oh why do you not release the price of a game say a month before release? Surely you can look at it earlier than you currently do?

I suggest this because I hate to see your newly released game forum, which should be full of praise and adulation, go down the toilet because you decided it was in the best interests of "god alone knows" to spring a price on the unsuspecting public. I suggest this because I would hope that, in the run up to release, I would think that's when your main focus on a game may be and therefore attract more traffic, both new and old and therefore you could get the inevitable price threads and all the venom that's spat into them out the way for release.

Sure there might be a few clingers that still want to damage the game/company because of the thread - but it's entirely possible most will have moved on within the month. Possible (not FACT).

It must be extremely disheartening for yourselves to see a new release be tarnished in this way - but what I don't get is it happens almost every single time....particularly for DLC or more expensive games...and yet you do it time and again.

I particularly feel terrible for the developers who must feel like their credibility is shrinking in the eyes of the public as their game gets ripped apart - and not because it's a bad game or a bugged game - but something totally different - a price tag.

So that's the question Why do you not release the price of a game earlier to avoid what you know is coming on release day - totally destroying the forums from the off (and it does show the community up)

**The question is for Matrix by the way - I have no need for speculative arguments because I already have my own speculative opinions about it. You can of course post if you wish...I don't own the boards nor do I police them.

*edited to add*
I forgot to add that I am not demanding an answer and of course Matrix can choose not to do so. That's totally cool. I was just wondering what the reason was for holding off until release and if the option to enlighten people early had crossed their minds but been dismissed because?
Alba gu' brath
wodin

RE: Price

Post by wodin »

JD I expect a similar price to Conflict of heroes.. being similar sort of games and boardgame conversions.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

lol Wodin - I think you need to read my post [;)]
Alba gu' brath
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Judge,

It's pretty simple. When a game does not exist yet, in other words it's not available to the public, there can be no educated discussion of the game's value between us and the community. At this point, we've played it and know it but you have not. Once it's released, we all have access to it and you can discuss the game not just with us, but also with those in the community who are playing it and you'll have all the pre-release promotional information to help guide you. Releasing the price a month ahead of time, given the fact that some folks love to discuss pricing all the time, would just lead to a month-long uninformed pricing discussion which would still continue after release.

As a side note, we have in the past announced pricing ahead of time, it's just been quite a few years since we did. It didn't make any difference on the pricing discussions then, it was just as I described above.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Fair enough Erik...thank you.

I'm looking forward to hearing good things about this one (taking pricing out the discussion). [&o]
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

whoops..sorry mate.
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

lol Wodin - I think you need to read my post [;)]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

That's ok bud - Erik answered rather convincingly.
Alba gu' brath
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: wodin

JD I expect a similar price to Conflict of heroes.. being similar sort of games and boardgame conversions.

So did I.. until I read Erik's post, which just seems a rather long-winded way to say "you're not going to like it". [:(]
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Judge,

It's pretty simple. When a game does not exist yet, in other words it's not available to the public, there can be no educated discussion of the game's value between us and the community.

so...........

you dont know how much to charge until everyone has bought it and is playing it?
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well I took from it there can be no "educated" discussion on the price...meaning if the price was available, but people didn't have the game, they wouldn't be able to "justify" the price (regardless of worth).

My dropping it was in respect of Erik responding and the comment that they tried it before and it didn't help...I'm not "entitled" an answer as alot of people around here like to remind you - but he was kind enough to answer and said it didn't work before - so I took that as the suggestion was not a viable one.

As for the price - who knows. It's 6 days apparently until release and perhaps even Matrix don't know yet.
Alba gu' brath
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

My dropping it was in respect of Erik responding and the comment that they tried it before and it didn't help...I'm not "entitled" an answer as alot of people around here like to remind you - but he was kind enough to answer and said it didn't work before - so I took that as the suggestion was not a viable one.

I would have thought that depended on what the announced price was? If most thought it reasonable or better than reasonable any 'debate' would be over before it started. It would only continue if the price seemed excessive for the type of game and, really, I think even we uneducated have a pretty good idea of that without needing to play it. Something which, as undercovergeek rightly points out, we can't do without forking out first, anyway.

Still, as you say, we don't know yet. If I think the price is reasonable I'll pay, if not I won't.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Value, that's the key. What value to assign to it that will maximize the investment returns in a minimum amount of time ? Does get the wheels turning in my head.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

I wouldn't pay more than 30 or $40 tops for this game. Anymore than that, and Mark Walker would be gouging the war gaming public. Like the price of World In Flames. $100 is too much. Especially without an AI. It's my opinion that $80 was also pretty steep for Grigsby's War in the East, and War in The Pacific Admiral's Edition.[&:]
RockKahn

Post by RockKahn »

I've been pretty lucky. Most, but not all, of the Matrix games I've purchased, no matter what the price, have come out pretty cheap when I look at the cost per hour of entertainment I get out of it. That's what a game is for in my opinion, hours of entertainment. On the other hand, I have purchased cheap games that I thought was a bargain and uninstalled them after a few hours. I got EU3 for free, installed it, started it to make sure it ran. Haven't play it at all. I'd get a divide by zero error if I tried to calculate it's cost per hour. [:)]

I'm hoping the price won't be over $40, but it looks fun and looks like something I could easily get 80 hours of entertainment out of over the coming years. So, if I have the money, I'll pay more.
I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.
Ken7

Post by Ken7 »

I have been waiting FOREVER for this game. I will definitely purchase this one.
Ken7
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
I would have thought that depended on what the announced price was? If most thought it reasonable or better than reasonable any 'debate' would be over before it started. It would only continue if the price seemed excessive for the type of game and, really, I think even we uneducated have a pretty good idea of that without needing to play it. Something which, as undercovergeek rightly points out, we can't do without forking out first, anyway.

Still, as you say, we don't know yet. If I think the price is reasonable I'll pay, if not I won't.

From past experience, there's no price point that everyone will agree on and any discussion or debate is better when informed by the actual game. We know the price and we'll announce it at release. My earlier comment did not mean "you won't like it", I have no real idea one way or the other how you or anyone will react, but experience tells me that having the game available for that discussion is the best way to go.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

From past experience, there's no price point that everyone will agree on and any discussion or debate is better when informed by the actual game. We know the price and we'll announce it at release. My earlier comment did not mean "you won't like it", I have no real idea one way or the other how you or anyone will react, but experience tells me that having the game available for that discussion is the best way to go.

Regards,

- Erik

With total respect Erik, I can't see how that is ever the case...at least given discussion on price on a games release in any of your forums.

But you said you tried it before and it was non productive...so that's fine. I was just asking as, from the outside, it seemed non-sensicle

Looking forward to the release of this having played the boardgame (not Stalingrad but Band of Heroes)
Alba gu' brath
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Drifting into the theoretical, there should be some sort of hopefully "normal" distribution about the 1st year sales quantity and sell price. Obviously, you'd be looking to set your proce on the right hand side of that distribution chart. But not too far.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

From past experience, there's no price point that everyone will agree on

Regards,

- Erik

really?

price it at £4.99 see how many complaints you get

**im taking this opportunity to call BS on any 'ah well if its cheap you wont respect the game, thats why we price them so high' crap that may be forth coming
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hello undercover..haven't seen you for awhile mate.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”