Foreign powers

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

KamilS

Foreign powers

Post by KamilS »

I think, there should be option for separate peace between USA and intervening countries.

It seems a bit unrealistic to me, that Britain continues war after suffering such casualties.

It is Early August '64.

Attachments
foreignpowerscopy.jpg
foreignpowerscopy.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Kamil
TulliusDetritus

RE: Foreign powers

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Is this a PBEM? What did you do to encourage foreign intervention?

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Something not right with this picture. We need the Paul Harvey - Rest of the Story!
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

It is PBEM

My opponent got +35 from Trent Affair, played all the diplomatic options and I have refused to use territorial concesions.
Kamil
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Kamil

It is PBEM

My opponent got +35 from Trent Affair, played all the diplomatic options and I have refused to use territorial concesions.

Oh, I too refuse to use the territorial concessions thing. And er, perhaps Marquo played those diplomatic options... now if you excuse me, please
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

I have NEVER seen foreign powers enter the scene. This is awesome. Are you two doing an AAR? I'd love to see numbers, how they're being used, where, etc.
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

Hmm, I will try to make overview of Brits campaign during the weekend if I find some time.

(btw in my other game as USA, there is already +84 foreign entry and it is Dec '61 - again +35 from Trent Affair, but I haven't played my diplomatic cards. To be honest I find it a bit ridiculous, that CSA can gain 80 foreign entry in half a year without any significant success in war)
Kamil
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

This is absolute joke.

Early Jan '62. I captured Manassas and Island 10. Inflicted more casualties that suffered, yet Foreign Entry equals 100 (2 out of 3 diplomatic options were played by me).

I am annoyed, because it is not strategy it is roulette.

I played 4 PBEM as Union, in 3 games we managed to get to '62 and in two of them opponents managed to get 100 FI without actually capturing important northern cities or winning major battles.

Setting was historic, so I ask how historic is that?

Well, I am annoyed customer who expected game being dependant on adopting correct strategy not on some random rolls.
Kamil
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

The game has 10% chance for the Trent affair to give unhistoric results. The percentage is debatable, but there has to be a chance for the Affair to escalate. If Lincoln were a hothead and refused to apologize + if the British prime minister were a hothead as well, everything could escalate. After that, there was no real chance of intervention.
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

I don't dispute possibility of foreign intervention, but what I find very wrong is lack on influence of sequence of events - you can play them or not and that is it, there is no finesse to it just luck and possible impact of this random options is huge.

In last case foreign intervention will probably waste my and my opponents time. I see no point in playing in which game where outcome is determined by throws of dices.
Kamil
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

Winning battles influence NM and VP.

NM and VP influence Foreign intervention - simple as that.

About the random roll for blockade decisions: did the US knew will the Brits be angered by the total blockade policy or not. They did not. In life, chance influences more things than we are willing to admit.
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

In both games CSA didn't win more battles than USA, didn't acquire any VP locations, but due to initial set-up have higher VP/turn and morale so south edge in case of FI increase.

Second of all. It was obviously so simple in life - Brits get angered or not, no other way to influence it, no middle ground, no negotiations and game reflects it perfectly. Each side have 3 options plus there is random event, absolutely like in real life.

Moreover, once FI reaches 100 it can't be changed.
Kamil
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

That can be modded out in a few keystrokes. I don't have the game (yet). Maybe a kind soul on Ageod forum will do it for you.
Cavalier99

Post by Cavalier99 »

The intervention options are not realistic. Britain was more dependant on Union grain supplies than it was on Confederate cotton. There was as much chance of Britain entering the war on the side of the Confederacy as there was of the Confederacy winning an outright victory.
Ol Choctaw

Post by Ol Choctaw »

ORIGINAL: Cavalier99

The intervention options are not realistic. Britain was more dependant on Union grain supplies than it was on Confederate cotton. There was as much chance of Britain entering the war on the side of the Confederacy as there was of the Confederacy winning an outright victory.

It was Palmerston and Russell that kept GB out of the war. They were fighting their own party keeping them out of the war. Both had screwed up with wars in the past and were not to eager to repeat the mistakes.

Most of the ruling class wanted the war and would have welcomed stopping grain imports.

Their main reason for not going to war was that it would interrupt British trade. Not their trade with the Union.

They would have loved nothing better than to put Lincoln in his place but it was bad for business.

But Pam was a hothead and events like the Trent Affair or Union ultimatums could have set him off as easily as not.

Return to “Civil War II”