Soviet Guard Units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

jwolf

Soviet Guard Units

Post by jwolf »

Is there any limit on the number of Soviet guard units a player can have? Is it possible -- in theory -- for the entire Red Army to consist of guard units?

The reason I ask is that in my game against the AI I already have 52 guard rifle divisions at the beginning of 1942. They're certainly nice to have, but the number of them seems excessive. It makes me wonder if the criteria for guards promotion status should perhaps be more stringent.
loki100

RE: Soviet Guard Units

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Is there any limit on the number of Soviet guard units a player can have? Is it possible -- in theory -- for the entire Red Army to consist of guard units?

The reason I ask is that in my game against the AI I already have 52 guard rifle divisions at the beginning of 1942. They're certainly nice to have, but the number of them seems excessive. It makes me wonder if the criteria for guards promotion status should perhaps be more stringent.

the number of infantry guards divisions is capped per year, I believe you can get all your tank/cav unit to Gds status.

a problem for the AI is it so loves low odds, niggling attacks. So even without much effort you end up with an unrealistic number of Gds divisions.

I tend to give the AI a huge morale bonus, so despite less than optimal tactics (I think it is quite good operationally) it is a decent challenge - but the consequence is it seems to be over-optimistic
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

All unit types (Inf, Mot/Mech, Army, etc) are Guards limited as a percentage of the total number of units of that type. The exact limits and creation requirements are detailed in the manual in the Guards unit section.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

A problem for the AI is it so loves low odds, niggling attacks. So even without much effort you end up with an unrealistic number of Gds divisions.

IMHO victories should count toward guards status only if they are offensive, not defensive.  That obviously would not stop "guards farming" types of abuses but it might be a helpful step.

Schmart:  that's good to know, thanks for the info.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”