Detached cvp bug

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

joshuamnave

Detached cvp bug

Post by joshuamnave »

In this save game file, there is a cvp in Scapa that has become "detached" from its carrier. It was originally assigned to the CV in Scapa. During a stay at sea phase, the carrier stayed at sea, moving from the 1 box to the 0 box. The cvp stayed in the 1 box. I selected the cvp and it moved down to the 0 box and rejoined its carrier. In the RTB phase the following turn, the cv went home alone, and I was again able to select the cvp and send it home with the carrier. Now the carrier moves alone, without the plane, and the plane can't be rebased onto the carrier. It has become permanently detached.
Attachments
detatchedcvpbug.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
AxelNL

RE: Detached cvp bug

Post by AxelNL »

You should join us in the beta forum! You are finding stuff at an impressive rate, humbling us.
[&o]
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Sadly, I don't even post half of them.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Than there must be a difference between our set-up. I played a couple of global war '40 summer turns during most of the weekend, and encountered only a few known bugs (supply in China, workaround worked but for one skipped combat) and reported two (of which the regression div-forming was the important one). Also ran into 2 situations where the game was right in the end.
Certainly much less than you reported last couple of days (which was only half, sou say!), but did not do that much naval myself in that stage of the GW. The difference in which options you play with must be important. But that Australia thing which came up is really strange - can't remember anybody having reported something similar. I also do not have to reload that much - although I certainly have peaks of that because I rerun situations to test them.

You must be half-way to the position of one of our fellow posters by now (you made his day today). Hope you do not turn into one.
The time will come that a netplay is possible - hope you will still be in for an invite to try it out.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

My frustration level is probably as high as his. I'm just more interested in fixing things whereas he seems more interested in torpedoing them. Still, I'm sure my frustration bleeds over in some of my posts more than it should.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

My frustration level is probably as high as his. I'm just more interested in fixing things whereas he seems more interested in torpedoing them. Still, I'm sure my frustration bleeds over in some of my posts more than it should.

I understand, had my moments two weeks ago when fever-struck my own frustration did an attack. The will to see this succeed and help Steve prevailed however. Keep on sending the reports!
Hope Steve is able to fix the overseas supply bug this week, he has to dig in 10.000 lines of code. That will be a major step, however, we should be prepared to point out some collateral damage in the form of regression items afterwards. Next to that I will certainly start narrowing down the Bermuda area in China, if it still exists.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

In this save game file, there is a cvp in Scapa that has become "detached" from its carrier. It was originally assigned to the CV in Scapa. During a stay at sea phase, the carrier stayed at sea, moving from the 1 box to the 0 box. The cvp stayed in the 1 box. I selected the cvp and it moved down to the 0 box and rejoined its carrier. In the RTB phase the following turn, the cv went home alone, and I was again able to select the cvp and send it home with the carrier. Now the carrier moves alone, without the plane, and the plane can't be rebased onto the carrier. It has become permanently detached.
I haven't been able to reproduce this.

I had 3 Commonwealth carrier air units in the North Sea, two with a single carrier air unit and one with two carrier air units. I tried moving them down a section box during the Stay At Sea phase by clicking on the unit images on the map and also by clicking on the units in the Flyouts form. The carrier air units moved with the carriers whenever I did that. Besides clicking on the carriers I also tried clicking on the carrier air units - both methods moved the carriers with their carrier air units. I also tried undoing and redoing the moves. Everything worked correctly.

Do you have any insight into how the carrier air units became 'detached' from their carriers? I can't think of anything else to try.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I wish I did. It happened once, randomly. Reloading didn't fix it. When the carrier and plane were both in port, I tried to rebase it back on to the carrier, with no luck. I was able to rebase it to another carrier in another port, and put a different plane on that carrier. The only thing I can think of... there was a naval battle the previous round in which I was fairly sure I shot down a different CVP, but that CVP was still on the board the following impulse. I chalked it up to bad memory. It's possible that the "unstuck" cvp was the one that had been shot down, and it just never went away.

Were the plane and carrier separated when you loaded my save game file?
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I wish I did. It happened once, randomly. Reloading didn't fix it. When the carrier and plane were both in port, I tried to rebase it back on to the carrier, with no luck. I was able to rebase it to another carrier in another port, and put a different plane on that carrier. The only thing I can think of... there was a naval battle the previous round in which I was fairly sure I shot down a different CVP, but that CVP was still on the board the following impulse. I chalked it up to bad memory. It's possible that the "unstuck" cvp was the one that had been shot down, and it just never went away.

Were the plane and carrier separated when you loaded my save game file?
I didn't check. I used a saved game I had available that I knew was okay and advanced it to the Stay At Sea phases.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Happened again. Here's the save file. The CV in Scapa went home during the RTB phase, leaving its CVP at sea. This save file is in the middle of the RTB phase, and the game is waiting on me to send the CVP in FG home alone.

There were no fights in FG this turn, but a few missed searches. This plane has been attached to its CV for a while without issue, so no idea why it suddenly detached.
Attachments
detatchedcvpbug2.zip
(1.59 MiB) Not downloaded yet
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

And here's the same game from the start of the RTB phase.
Attachments
ReturnTo..onwealth.zip
(1.59 MiB) Not downloaded yet
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

And just in case it helps... from the start of the final allied impulse of the turn. If it makes a difference, CW did an air action and strat bombed Germany.

During the air rebase phase, the CVP was the first unit on the list of air units available to rebase, but I did not select it. Maybe that will help.
Attachments
ChooseAct..onwealth.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

And just in case it helps... from the start of the final allied impulse of the turn. If it makes a difference, CW did an air action and strat bombed Germany.

During the air rebase phase, the CVP was the first unit on the list of air units available to rebase, but I did not select it. Maybe that will help.
When I opened this save one of the CVP's (Nimrod in the 0 Box) is tagged as Flying, which seems to be the source of the problem.

- Selected and air action but noticed the CW was offered to initiate Naval Combat in the Faeroes Gap - which should not occur during an air action
- Declined the combat and conducted a Strat Bombing attack
- Then kept the turn going and Germany selected a naval action
- Germany initiated naval combat in the Faeroes and the CVP (Nimrod) in the 0 Box was offered to land even though it did not participate in the Naval Air combat
- Landed the Nimrod
- Was able to finish the phase and then ended the turn. All RTB worked fine

How exactly the CVP was tagged as Flying in the first place is the question. I suppose we can look at failed searches and see what happens with a bunch of CVPs?

-Rob

Attachments
AAScreensh..14001.jpg
AAScreensh..14001.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 153 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I got it. 90% sure I know what happened. Earlier in the turn there was in fact a fight in FG. When I was supposed to land the CVP at the end of the fight, I accidentally hit the end phase button before landing the plane. It was never directed to land on a carrier and stayed in flying status, and now it can never land. Definitely a bug, but an avoidable one.

Based on what you said above, as long as you land it on the carrier before the end of the turn, it should be fine. But if it's still flying when the turn ends, it gets permanently messed up.
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

I got it. 90% sure I know what happened. Earlier in the turn there was in fact a fight in FG. When I was supposed to land the CVP at the end of the fight, I accidentally hit the end phase button before landing the plane. It was never directed to land on a carrier and stayed in flying status, and now it can never land. Definitely a bug, but an avoidable one.

Based on what you said above, as long as you land it on the carrier before the end of the turn, it should be fine. But if it's still flying when the turn ends, it gets permanently messed up.
I will see if it can be recreated on my end tomorrow afternoon. End phase should be disabled when landing CVP's. (All three ways - Main form button, shift+enter and the command menu)

joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

ORIGINAL: Cad908

I will see if it can be recreated on my end tomorrow afternoon. End phase should be disabled when landing CVP's. (All three ways - Main form button, shift+enter and the command menu)

It's not. It's available in some phases, like naval combat. It's not available when landing after an air to air battle for ground strikes. Not sure about other phases.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

For example - these cvp's just sunk a Japanese convoy. They haven't landed on their CVs yet, but the end phase button is active.

Attachments
endphase.jpg
endphase.jpg (585.87 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Return to “Tech Support”