Extended Game Length

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

onionking

Extended Game Length

Post by onionking »

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere...couldn't find any reference.

So, was hoping to do an AAR of the invasion of America (Democracy vs. Darkness) and need as much game length as possible. On page 185 of Vol 2. of the rulebooks it has the game end down as Nov/Dec of 1952. In-game the option of Extended Game Length has it down as Jul/Aug of '48. Just wondering if the '52 end is ever going to be in the pipeline towards implementation. I really want to see some new terrain featured in the AAR section. And to pound on the Americans on their home soil.

And any advice on how to play the allies so poorly as to allow a duel invasion of the US? A hyper-aggressive Stalin preventing a US DOW? An isolationist America? Re-rolling every event that does not go swimmingly for the axis? Because frankly in the several games I've got going (in early '43) the allies BP advantage seems to be staggering.

AxelNL

RE: Extended Game Length

Post by AxelNL »

How about DOWing a lot of neutral nations as CW? Start with Norway - I think that is almost historical, but than save Norway instead of DOWing it a bit earlier as Germany.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: onionking

So, was hoping to do an AAR of the invasion of America (Democracy vs. Darkness) and need as much game length as possible. On page 185 of Vol 2. of the rulebooks it has the game end down as Nov/Dec of 1952. In-game the option of Extended Game Length has it down as Jul/Aug of '48. Just wondering if the '52 end is ever going to be in the pipeline towards implementation. I really want to see some new terrain featured in the AAR section. And to pound on the Americans on their home soil.

And any advice on how to play the allies so poorly as to allow a duel invasion of the US? A hyper-aggressive Stalin preventing a US DOW? An isolationist America? Re-rolling every event that does not go swimmingly for the axis? Because frankly in the several games I've got going (in early '43) the allies BP advantage seems to be staggering.

The Help message is incorrect. The form for extending the game enables extending it out to Nov/Dec 1952.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: onionking

If the game is very close, you could extend the game a turn or 2 and play it out to the bunker ending. Using Extended game length option is a way to shorten the game also.

The ability to extend the game has more to do with "future" scenarios, that start later. Few games started in 1939 are going to end in 1952 with an enforced victory. I would hope it would be a lot earlier by player consent.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Then we will have similar discussions like over at the War in the Pacific forum [:)]. Allied Fan Boys (AFBs) complaining about Japanese Fan Boys (JFBs) not fighting the game to the end so the AFBs can have the fun of overrunning everything in sight the way JFBs players are able to do in the beginning of the game. As the same thing occurs in WiF games, I can see a lot of Allied players complaining about how they did not get their turn to 'party like it was 1944' like Germany/Japan did in 1939/41.

In the board version of the game, I can easily see a common decision on when to end the game due to time involved to finish, sapce for the maps, etc. I played many physical 'monster' games that were called for these reasons and by common consent. But computer games do not have these issues. There is no space issues, just an internet connection is needed. So there is not the same reasoning to NOT to allow AFBs their moment in the sun versus seeing you cannot win in 1943 and calling it quits as the Axis. So unless the Allied player is willing to let the Axis player 'off the hook' early, I would expect the Axis player to play to the bitter end. As someone that spent three years in real time playing Japan in WitP AE into 1945, I know that at least I would want the same commitment if I was playing the Allies in that game.

Just something to think about since the computer removes a lot of the issues that continuing the board version had and made calling the game early an acceptable pratice.
onionking

Post by onionking »

[/quote]
The Help message is incorrect. The form for extending the game enables extending it out to Nov/Dec 1952.
[/quote]

Hooray!

I got all inspired by reading the selected war diaries of Sgt. Randy Rock by Mr. H. Rowland from an old WiF newsletter. Is there anywhere this is online that people can read? I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

One of the benefits then from playing solitaire is that there isn't a side (usually) that wants to throw in the towel when the writing is on the wall. I do remember upsetting a table during a game of Third Reich when Leningrad fell on a 13% chance.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Then we will have similar discussions like over at the War in the Pacific forum [:)]. Allied Fan Boys (AFBs) complaining about Japanese Fan Boys (JFBs) not fighting the game to the end so the AFBs can have the fun of overrunning everything in sight the way JFBs players are able to do in the beginning of the game. As the same thing occurs in WiF games, I can see a lot of Allied players complaining about how they did not get their turn to 'party like it was 1944' like Germany/Japan did in 1939/41.

In the board version of the game, I can easily see a common decision on when to end the game due to time involved to finish, sapce for the maps, etc. I played many physical 'monster' games that were called for these reasons and by common consent. But computer games do not have these issues. There is no space issues, just an internet connection is needed. So there is not the same reasoning to NOT to allow AFBs their moment in the sun versus seeing you cannot win in 1943 and calling it quits as the Axis. So unless the Allied player is willing to let the Axis player 'off the hook' early, I would expect the Axis player to play to the bitter end. As someone that spent three years in real time playing Japan in WitP AE into 1945, I know that at least I would want the same commitment if I was playing the Allies in that game.

Just something to think about since the computer removes a lot of the issues that continuing the board version had and made calling the game early an acceptable pratice.
The deal we made when I played board games was you had to play the game twice, switching sides the second time. That discourages people from throwing in the towel early. The goal is to achieve a better result in the second game than your opponent did in the first game. Giving up early in the first game makes it easier for your opponent to win the 2 game contest.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Good idea. [:)] Much easier to do with the computer version than the physical game too [:D]

Return to “World in Flames”