Why does my ship leave when I tell it to repair?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Ghost Matter

Why does my ship leave when I tell it to repair?

Post by Ghost Matter »

I just destroyed a rival construction ship to continue repair a World Destroyer but my Construction ship that's right by, just travels away (refueling?). Why is that? Usually I can stop it but now it just won't listen.
elanaagain

RE: Why does my ship leave when I tell it to repair?

Post by elanaagain »

It probably needs to go get supplies at the planetary space port. Did you move the constructor to the system with the world destroyer in anticipation of driving off rival constructors? If so, your constructor needs supplies before it can do any repairs on a wreck. One way to get around this is to order the constructor to repair a different ship, let it load up, and move, then change its orders to repair the death star...and it should go directly.
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

The World destroyer need some resources for the repair.
When you order your construction ship to repair, and the ship keep the order and fly away it is ok, it will go and pickup the resources.
That way is prolly faster then when the construction ship wait for a freighter to deliver the resources.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

Yes, once the constructor actually begins repairing the ship wreck (World destroyer, in this case) additional resources will be delivered to the constructor by transports.
Ghost Matter

Post by Ghost Matter »

Another unrelated question, instead of making another thread.

I got a super-powerful capital ship but it just constantly tries to escape in combat. Sometimes I have to tell it every 3 seconds so it just doesn't fly away. Is that possibly a bug?
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

re: the World Destroyer. I usually just repair one of the other nearby wrecks and use that to destroy the World Destroyer that takes like a decade to repair.
ORIGINAL: Ghost Matter

Another unrelated question, instead of making another thread.

I got a super-powerful capital ship but it just constantly tries to escape in combat. Sometimes I have to tell it every 3 seconds so it just doesn't fly away. Is that possibly a bug?
Is it possible the ship is a Resupply ship?
Ghost Matter

Post by Ghost Matter »

Na, it's a capital ship at max shields, fully stocked.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

I think ships try to escape once they have broken components, even when it's just armour. Maybe it was damaged slightly a while ago?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Ghost Matter

Na, it's a capital ship at max shields, fully stocked.
It would probably try to run if it has broken components as said above. Also if it is short on fuel, and it could also look silly if the design for some reason is set to "evade" (top left on design screen).

Since you say "super powerful" I suspect it could be a ship with a custom design of way to little of something. Fuel cells, reactors, that kind of stuff.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Since you say "super powerful"
Since he play from pre-warp, it is prolly an abandon Capital what the Pirates discover and used.
At the beginning of the game is might be very powerful, i am surprised he could capture it. He must lost alot of boarding ships !

Like other said before, ships try to escape when
- need to refuel, but i think that isn't it at this case.
- need to repair, even 1 damaged component is enough to let the AI head to repair.
- retreat option, check the design when the ship should retreat (50% shield,20% .., Never, when attacked, when military is sighted).
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

Also, check your empire policy options and fleet settings. You may have a combination of settings that are 'telling' the ship to do something that looks like leaving. Follow its to move arrow and see where its trying to go to?
Flinkebeinchen

Post by Flinkebeinchen »

You have fought against ships with Railguns, those penetrate your shield and so your armor of your Capital Ship got damaged. Now, even with nearly full shields, your UBERship tries to run away. The only sollution I am aware of is to set to NEVER FLEE in the Design sheet of your Capital Ship.
Ghost Matter

Post by Ghost Matter »

Thanks all! I'm still mostly automating design so I forgot that could be done.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

About changing weapons range for engagement, and 'when to flee' in the ship/base design window: You can change a currently existing design. You just cannot change the components in the design. This means that if you don't like the way a ship of a particular design is acting, you can bring its design up and change the engagement, and fleeing values - then save. Ignore the dialog window that comes up saying you can't change anything - it means the components.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”