Submarine counter art

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shellshock

Submarine counter art

Post by Shellshock »

This mod replaces the generic submarine counters with counters bearing art of a sub class specific to the nation it represents.

I left the Chinese sub counter as is. As what little navy that China possessed was pretty much rubbed out by Japan prior to the period in the game, I really couldn't think of what to use. (Did China even have any subs prior to the Cold War?) If anyone has some ideas let me know.

Download the the attached file and unzip it somewhere convenient. It will be replacing the Page22 bitmap file in your Matrix Games/World in Flames/ Bitmaps/ Unit Bitmaps folder. Make sure to back up the original file.

Happy submerging!
Attachments
Page22.zip
(91.5 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
warspite1

RE: Submarine counter art

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

This mod replaces the generic submarine counters with counters bearing art of a sub class specific to the nation it represents.

I left the Chinese sub counter as is. As what little navy that China possessed was pretty much rubbed out by Japan prior to the period in the game, I really couldn't think of what to use. (Did China even have any subs prior to the Cold War?) If anyone has some ideas let me know.

Download the the attached file and unzip it somewhere convenient. It will be replacing the Page22 bitmap file in your Matrix Games/World in Flames/ Bitmaps/ Unit Bitmaps folder. Make sure to back up the original file.

Happy submerging!
warspite1

These are coooooooooool [8D]

From the unit descriptions I think a German Type II sub would fit the bill:

This is a World In Flames "what if" counter that allows the Chinese player to build
submarines; provided of course that she has access to her port facilities.

In reality, during the Sino-Japanese war the Japanese were able to occupy China's main ports and so naval construction was impossible. In 1939 the Chinese ordered two submarines from Germany for use in coastal waters, but these were never delivered.

Could you do a type for each counter if you had the detail provided to you? E.g the write-ups refer to certain classes.

LOVE that T-class!!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

Technically, the Chinese player can build subs (or ships) at any time, even when they don't control a port. THey can't be placed as reinforcements until they have one, but you can build the units beforehand, to be ready and waiting when you get access to the water again.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Technically, the Chinese player can build subs (or ships) at any time, even when they don't control a port. THey can't be placed as reinforcements until they have one, but you can build the units beforehand, to be ready and waiting when you get access to the water again.
warspite1

Well that's not very sensible is it....[&:]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I'm sure they could be built pre-fab and then hauled in donkey carts to the captured port and launched the next turn... Not.

But in WiF: possible unless house ruled out (or playing Factories in Flames). It's a game and all games can have gamey devices.

If China is building ships, Japan is likely out of the game anyway...
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I'm sure they could be built pre-fab and then hauled in donkey carts to the captured port and launched the next turn... Not.

But in WiF: possible unless house ruled out (or playing Factories in Flames). It's a game and all games can have gamey devices.

warspite1

Indeed. I will amend the write-up.

WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I like to call that, Sci-Fi Wif.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Happy submerging!
Very good looking submarines!
Thanks for sharing them with us.
Marcus Luttrell
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

In 1939 the Chinese ordered two submarines from Germany for use in coastal waters, but these were never delivered.

Well, for what it's worth I've amended the file. The Type IIs were coastal subs at best, so I made the silhouette small.

Cheers!
Attachments
Page22.zip
(91.96 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Thanks! [:)] Now as they say in Das Boot-- zink zem all! [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Thanks! [:)] Now as they say in Das Boot-- zink zem all! [:D]
warspite1

Eh? I thought they were German not French....

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

In 1939 the Chinese ordered two submarines from Germany for use in coastal waters, but these were never delivered.

Well, for what it's worth I've amended the file. The Type IIs were coastal subs at best, so I made the silhouette small.

Cheers!
warspite1

Yep - for use in coastal waters. Any thoughts on my earlier question?

Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks for the great new submarine artwork. [:)]
Richard
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

Could you do a type for each counter if you had the detail provided to you? E.g the write-ups refer to certain classes.

The game counter mix (if you can call it that) only supports one submarine bitmap image per nation that had subs in their respective navies. So, even if you drew up artwork for every class of WW2 submarine, it can only display one type at a time, no matter how many sub flotillas you have. So, I basically just tried to draw up the sub class that best represented that nation's undersea effort.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

The game counter mix (if you can call it that) only supports one submarine bitmap image per nation that had subs in their respective navies. So, even if you drew up artwork for every class of WW2 submarine, it can only display one type at a time, no matter how many sub flotillas you have. So, I basically just tried to draw up the sub class that best represented that nation's undersea effort.

With great results. Nice work!
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Here is a link to China’s Submarine Fleet.

There are also links here to what happened to China's navy (see China’s Sunken Warships Part 1 - 5).

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous
Here is a link to China’s Submarine Fleet.
There are also links here to what happened to China's navy (see China’s Sunken Warships Part 1 - 5).

Thanks for the link. Very nicely put together.
Except for reading and watching "The Sand Pebbles", a facet of ww2 i had little knowledge of.
Marcus Luttrell
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

It wouldn't be that hard to use additional bitmap images for the different types of submarines introduced by Convoys in Flames. The raw data is present for Snorkel subs, Walther subs, etc. I would just need to load in the additional bitmap images and apply the associated bitmap depending on the submarine subtype (pardon the pun).

Very low priority obviously.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

It wouldn't be that hard to use additional bitmap images for the different types of submarines introduced by Convoys in Flames. The raw data is present for Snorkel subs, Walther subs, etc. I would just need to load in the additional bitmap images and apply the associated bitmap depending on the submarine subtype (pardon the pun).

Good to hear Shannon. [8D] I'm sure there much bigger priorities to be looked after. However, when the day comes I'll try to be ready with a few bitmaps. [;)]

BTW, I'm assuming the "Flying Sub" in the game refers to the Japanese subs with the Glen scout floatplane. Not those I-400 class monstrosities.

Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Good to hear Shannon. [8D] I'm sure there much bigger priorities to be looked after. However, when the day comes I'll try to be ready with a few bitmaps. [;)]

BTW, I'm assuming the "Flying Sub" in the game refers to the Japanese subs with the Glen scout floatplane. Not those I-400 class monstrosities.

Yes.

You need to allow room for the 6 numbers on each naval unit - they are always the same size and in the same position. Actually, convoys might have double digits in the upper left and one of the Naval Supply units has a double digit in that location too.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”