Bright Torpedoes

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Ardilus

Bright Torpedoes

Post by Ardilus »

***UPDATED TO V.2***

While trying out some great weapons effects by other authors, I felt I needed to design some torpedoes of my own. I had read here that torpedo sprites are rendered in-game only up to 15x15 px., and that seems about right. These four sprites are designed and painted 15x15 to avoid quality loss on render, using the open-source Paint.NET. I hope you have fun with them!

(screenshot below)

Attachments
Bright Tor.. Ardilus.zip
(179.41 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Ardilus

RE: Bright Torpedoes

Post by Ardilus »

snap!

Attachments
torp_screen_c2.jpg
torp_screen_c2.jpg (262.48 KiB) Viewed 48 times
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Looks good!

One of my long time desires would be to have the Torpedoes with a cometary like tail trailing along behind. Not practical I know, but hey...

Ardilus

Post by Ardilus »

Thanks Cyclops. I've been thinking how awesome it would be to be able to use animated sprite sets for weapons effects (and thrusters). Torpedoes are animated by the engine to rotate clockwise, which is a nice touch I think, but does restrict what makes for effective design. On the other hand their size and symmetry have lent themselves to be very accessible for breaking into visual modding. I've begun dabbling with some other weapon effects and maybe can release a few more before Universe.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Ardilus

Post by Ardilus »

I haven't been satisfied with my tinting range for red/epsilon, so tried a new color mix on the original layers. I think these work better, though maybe still a little opaque. Try version 2, attached!

Meanwhile I think I've got a pretty nice little BSG-inspired cannon projectile in the making. I'll test some more and thought I would release with some similarly designed missiles that I haven't started.

***Version 2 link moved to initial post***
Ardilus

Post by Ardilus »

Snap!

Attachments
BrightTor..Ardilus.jpg
BrightTor..Ardilus.jpg (176.75 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Great work Ardilus!
Igard

Post by Igard »

Very good work!
Buio

Post by Buio »

Looks good!
Ardilus

Post by Ardilus »

Thank you everyone! My projectile set is complete, posted separately. Please enjoy!

Return to “Design and Modding”