Battle of Kursk - Soviet (Colour!) footage

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

TulliusDetritus

Battle of Kursk - Soviet (Colour!) footage

Post by TulliusDetritus »

A nice video about the Battle of Kursk.

The problem I have with these videos (and this you can see even in professional documentaries) is that no matter the battle they almost always mix images from different battles. This one looks legitimate but maybe your eyes are more trained than mine and you detect inconsistencies.

And it's a good thing for once the uploader is not one of those youtube clowns who think these videos need some Death Metal as sound track! [:@][:D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Tarhunnas

RE: Battle of Kursk - Soviet (Colour!) footage

Post by Tarhunnas »

Well, it could have been called any East Front battle I suppose. Nice scenes though, but it's not really the same without the death metal soundtrack...[;)]

I doubt they still had BT5:s at Kursk though.

It always surprises me how much lend lease equipment like Shermans and Matildas that are shown in Soviet photos and films from WW2. Considering how minute the quantities of these were compared to Soviet tank production, and also if I had been head of the propaganda department I would have wanted only Soviet tanks to be seen.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I wish they would just leave the footage in its original B&W, rather than the garish colour conversions they do.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Like ten years ago (?) there were those series (WW2 in colour or something like that). I wanted to avoid it but finally watched it. To my surprise the experience was shocking (and positive). It was as if I almost could touch them, as if they were next to me (and this I didn't feel it in W&B). A subjective feeling obviously, but the experience worked for me [8D]

Tarhunnas, for some reason I always hated the technical stuff. I don't know why but my brain refuses. It has to think this is minutia. Ordnance, etc. I cannot make the difference between a Kawasaki and Honda or a Ford and Audi for that matter. I don't know, in fact I refuse to know [:D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

Well, it could have been called any East Front battle I suppose. Nice scenes though, but it's not really the same without the death metal soundtrack...[;)]

I doubt they still had BT5:s at Kursk though.

It always surprises me how much lend lease equipment like Shermans and Matildas that are shown in Soviet photos and films from WW2. Considering how minute the quantities of these were compared to Soviet tank production, and also if I had been head of the propaganda department I would have wanted only Soviet tanks to be seen.

From a propaganda standpoint, they showed the Brit tanks to remind the Russian people that they were not fighting alone against the Germans. Stalin made that point during his famous November 1941 speech at the Kremlin.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Good point, I didn't think about that!
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Tom Hunter

Post by Tom Hunter »

Romano colorizes, though they do a fine job it was shot in B&W. I tried to read the writing on the building at .54 but can’t make it out, but I think its in roman alphabet not cyrillic. The SU 85 at 1:16 is somewhere in Germany, I am basing that on architecture. They went into service in August after Kursk. At 3:24 they are bombing a paved road that looks a lot like East Prussia, but I could be wrong about the location. At 3:38 there is a close shot of an early model stug advancing, which is likely a German shot, because its very hard to imagine a red army camera man standing up winding his camera on a tripod while that vehicle rolls up.
There are also some post war Soviet movies shot in color with very dramatic footage, some of that could be in the mix as well.

It's very unusual for these documentaries to show footage from the events they are talking about, which is kind of sad.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”