WITP board game

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dontra85

WITP board game

Post by dontra85 »

does anyone remember in the original WITP boardgame they had a dec 7th option or options for the surprise attack. I cant remember them all but do remember that it had at 5 options versus just the surprise. as I remember them they were: surprise, no surprise, one carrier at pearl, both carriers at pearl and then the pacific fleet was moved to san diego. has it ever been considered for this game.
dr.hal

RE: WITP board game

Post by dr.hal »

Are you talking about the Victory Games boardgame?
floydg

Post by floydg »

Old SPI "War in the Pacific" game, I suspect.

Section 41.8 has a die roll:
1-2: historical
3: Lexington at Pearl
4: Enterprise at Pearl
5: Both CV at Pearl
6: 6 capital ships can be moved from Pearl to West Coast
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

floydg -

I have two copies of SPI "War in the Pacific", one of which is unpunched.

Only tried to play it once, in 1979 timeframe, with the map set up on two doors in the garage. My leave ended and I had to return to ship before we really got going, but it was fun.

I also have Victory Games version also. Had more success with that playing against two other gamers on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I remember those options. Haven't played it since 1983 I think. still have the game though. Don't know which version. Getting old you know.
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Louisvillan

Post by Louisvillan »

Senior year of high school, my buddy and I spent playing that game. Plywood spread out over a pool table in his basement. That board was huge. Several all nighters on the weekends. 1981,,,, yep, getting old.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
dontra85

Post by dontra85 »

I have the game somewhere in my garage and didn't remember what the die roll was but floydg has it as I remember and it would be an interesting addition. just food for thought.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I remember setting up those monsters. We could never find the Yamato to put her in the reinforcement queue. Too many counters! We once even played a combined game of ETO and PTO together. I was Japan - I guess my JFB was already showing.

PS - The Axis conquered England and China and won that game. Great stuff.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I've got it and made five copies of that huge map to use in my Military History classes. It was GREAT!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Big B

Post by Big B »

I loved that game too. I still have my copies of War In The Pacific & War In Europe.
Oh the hours I spent with those...and the map taking up the better part of the garage floor (converted to my bedroom back then [8D])

Attachments
SPI.jpg
SPI.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 137 times
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Big B, Thats the WITP box I remember. The WIE I remember reading about but never bought. I also picked up the Panzer Leader series and copied the counter sheets and made my own counters. I put them into divisions, made a 4'x8' custom interchangeable map and had some magnificent battles.[:)][:)][:)]
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Big B

Post by Big B »

AWESOME! [8D]
ORIGINAL: General Patton

Big B, Thats the WITP box I remember. The WIE I remember reading about but never bought. I also picked up the Panzer Leader series and copied the counter sheets and made my own counters. I put them into divisions, made a 4'x8' custom interchangeable map and had some magnificent battles.[:)][:)][:)]
Cheers
Big B

Post by Big B »

Now that you mention it - I think I still have my old Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz games too... but I soon got fanatical about Squad Leader when it came out in 77(?).
You did Divisional scale battles for Panzer Leader - my brother and friends and I did Regimental scale battles in Squad Leader - again with a map that covered a garage floor! [:)]
...Boy we consumed a lot of beer those evenings! [:D]

ahhh - good times
ORIGINAL: General Patton

Cheers

Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Trying to read the manual for the Doc Decision version of WITP, makes me very grateful that the computer can do all that stuff for us now.

Ed-
Big B

Post by Big B »

... that's why we jokingly referred to Squad Leader as Rule Leader and with ASL it got even worse.
ORIGINAL: Mundy

Trying to read the manual for the Doc Decision version of WITP, makes me very grateful that the computer can do all that stuff for us now.

Ed-
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

There is something magical about seeing all the map boards or map sheets spread out with forces lined up on them. That's the one thing I miss with computer games. For EVERYTHING else, it's computers all the way! [:D]

BTW, 1920x1080 screen resolution on my 46 inch flat screen TV can bring a taste of that map spread to AE. [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Big B

Post by Big B »

I totally agree, with perhaps one addition - when units were physical counters...something with body and substance - I always felt much more attachment to them...I didn't want to loose them so I was more careful
I never quite got that in a computer game
ORIGINAL: USS America

There is something magical about seeing all the map boards or map sheets spread out with forces lined up on them. That's the one thing I miss with computer games. {snip}
sanch

Post by sanch »

I spent every Saturday the winter of 77-78 in the basement of the local hobby shop playing WIE. As it was my game, I was Germany (he he). The local newspaper heard about us, interviewed us, and wrote an article about us.

edit - ugly typo ...
Louisvillan

Post by Louisvillan »

Thanks for posting the box photos, Big B. That brings back lots of good memories.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
floydg

Post by floydg »

I got the WitP board game when I was in High School. My mother was in NYC for something and I asked her to go to the SPI offices and get it for me. They actually tried to discourage her from buying it for me, claiming it was too complicated for a HS kid to play. Then me and Coach Z spent countless hours in my "basement" playing and then later in his basement. I think Coach Z has the actual game somewhere, but I have copies of all of the printed materials...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.

Return to “The War Room”