mandatory loss

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Skanvak

mandatory loss

Post by Skanvak »

We had a hotseat game with a friend. Scenario is barbarossa.

The Russian made and attack on first turn on the blitz table and get a loss. The first loss should have been a mech, arm or mot. But the game autorise the selection of cav or mtn and when the mtn was selected it was not possible to unselect it. Then game accept the mtn as first (and only) loss of the attacker in a blitz battle.

Best regards

Skanvak
joshuamnave

RE: mandatory loss

Post by joshuamnave »

Just tested it in Poland. Confirmed - the game is not enforcing the mandatory losses. In my case I should have been required to lose an Eng unit first and the game let me choose an inf division instead.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
oleb

Post by oleb »

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

The Russian made and attack on first turn on the blitz table and get a loss. The first loss should have been a mech, arm or mot.

Do you have a rules reference for this?
Ktarn
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Ktarn

The Russian made and attack on first turn on the blitz table and get a loss. The first loss should have been a mech, arm or mot.

If they are using 2D10 and attacking a city or in bad weather, the first loss has to be a MOT, ARM or MECH...

See the notes on the 2D10 table (which is the last page of RAW, if I'm not mistaken).
Peter
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Absolutetly, we were using the 2D10 table. Beside the game did ask for a mandatory loss (this was written). Look at page 173 of the rule as coded. It is clear that the use of the blitz table make the loss mandatory without other condition.

Best regards

Skanvak
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

ORIGINAL: Ktarn

If they are using 2D10 and attacking a city or in bad weather, the first loss has to be a MOT, ARM or MECH...

See the notes on the 2D10 table (which is the last page of RAW, if I'm not mistaken).

Close - there are a few conditions that require a mandatory loss (using the 2d10 table, I wouldn't know what the rule is for the 1d10).

On a blitz attack, the first loss must be a mot, mech or arm. Attacking a city (in any weather) lets the defender choose assault or blitz, so if you're attacking cities with armor, make sure you have a mot div to soak up that loss.
Using the engineer's bonus (to cross a river or to negate the defensive bonus of a factory in a city) means the first loss must be an eng.
Using winterized units to negate the snow/blizzard penalty means the first loss must come from a winterized unit.

In the case I ran (and have seen it happen again a few times since), the first loss should have been an engineer, the game prompted me to make the first loss an engineer, but allowed me to choose and lose a different unit instead.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
cdebasso

Post by cdebasso »

I have noticed this too several times. The game does indicate that there is a mandatory loss... but allows you to pick another unit.
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

We had a hotseat game with a friend. Scenario is barbarossa.

The Russian made and attack on first turn on the blitz table and get a loss. The first loss should have been a mech, arm or mot. But the game autorise the selection of cav or mtn and when the mtn was selected it was not possible to unselect it. Then game accept the mtn as first (and only) loss of the attacker in a blitz battle.

Hi,

If you are playing hot-seat, I strongly suggest you simply play solitaire mode. My experience of Hot-Seat, is that it has more bugs than the other modes, and simply forces you to click more OK buttons.

You'll be fine as long as you don't charge through the forms and know who the chooser is.

My experience FWIW.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Because there are so many different rules (some optional) affecting when a loss may be mandatory for a certain unit type, I would like to have a saved game where the problem exists. If one could be attached to a post in this thread with instructions on how to reproduce the problem, I would be most appreciative.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

It happens 100% of the time, so all you really need is a save file from a land combat decl phase where such an attack is possible, then you can manually input the die roll to ensure the attacker or defender loses at least one unit.

In this save, Germany is lining up to attack Leningrad. There's a 2 factor engineer as part of the gathering forces. Declare an attack on Leningrad (and an O-chit was used, so you can double the combat factors or not, as you see fit). Activate the engineer's benefit, then make sure the die roll requires at least 1 German loss. You'll be able to ignore the prompt and destroy other units, leaving the engineer untouched.
Attachments
LandCombatDecl.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Note that it also happens with winterized units leading the attack. Not sure about winterized units leading the defense, but I would assume the problem exists there as well. I don't play with ski divisions, so not sure about that. Also happens on blitz attacks, where the first loss should be a mot/mech/arm unit. Don't forget the situations where engineer losses and winterized losses overrule the blitz losses.
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

then you can manually input the die roll to ensure the attacker or defender loses at least one unit.

as I understand there are a pick dice roll function in solitaire
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur
then you can manually input the die roll to ensure the attacker or defender loses at least one unit.

as I understand there are a pick dice roll function in solitaire

Yes. That is what I was referring to.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Here's an easier one - this is saved in the land combat declaration phase, but I've already declared the combat and activated the engineers for you. It's the German attack on Lodz. So long as the Germans lose a unit, the prompt to select an engineer first will come up, but the game will allow you to choose a different unit instead.
Attachments
engineers.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

You asked for these files almost a week ago. I posted the first one a few minutes after you asked for them, and the second a few days later. And they've never been downloaded. What gives? Why ask for them if you don't need them?
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

You asked for these files almost a week ago. I posted the first one a few minutes after you asked for them, and the second a few days later. And they've never been downloaded. What gives? Why ask for them if you don't need them?

Steve is grouping bugs. Going from one to the other in whole different parts is not efficient. As soon as he is diving in this group he will need the savegames and will find them here.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

I am almost caught up with downloading all the saved games that were posted (that I still need). Sometimes I find a saved game in my collection that lets me fix a bug.

[Only 3 more threads for me to read through in Tech Support].
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”