upgrades

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

charlie0311

upgrades

Post by charlie0311 »

1. long ago used to play mr grigsbys, war in russia, if i remember correctly, on an apple 2 plus.
2. finally bought wite in early dec.

3.playing the axis v ai, well into 42. panzers are not upgrading for my planned 42 offensive.
4. what the !!!?

5. all those popups on the forums are pretty annoying, come on guys.

6. anybody wanna guess what the 0311 in my signin stands for. hint, has military significance.
Dobey455

RE: upgrades

Post by Dobey455 »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

1. long ago used to play mr grigsbys, war in russia, if i remember correctly, on an apple 2 plus.
2. finally bought wite in early dec.

3.playing the axis v ai, well into 42. panzers are not upgrading for my planned 42 offensive.
4. what the !!!?

5. all those popups on the forums are pretty annoying, come on guys.

6. anybody wanna guess what the 0311 in my signin stands for. hint, has military significance.

1. You don't really need to bullet point, you can just ask.

2. Great ! [:)]

3/4 We really need more information - All of your units are not upgrading? Only some? Are your units in supply? How many of the new vehicles are in the pool?

5 I'd say your browser has been hijacked - or your on a different forum to me. I sometimes spend hours on these forums and have never seen a pop-up.

6. You liked "Heartbreak Ridge"?
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

thx for prompt response. only checking tank types, not enough of the new ones in pool to upgrade even one div yet, jun 42. the manual seems to be saying, it all happens a by the code (programming). do i do anything or just wait it out. Does refit or ready matter.

pretty good guess. 0311 is an MOS, military occupational specialty, 03xx is infantry, 0311 is rifleman, 0331 machine guns, etc. USMC. know from personal exp, RVN 67-68, 5th Marine regt.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

supply situation excellent
Dobey455

Post by Dobey455 »

Units in refit should get replacement devices first.
Being in refit near a railhead should direct more replacements to those units you choose, but I don't think you can completely micro manage it.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

thx again for prompt response. first campaign game. tough going in 42. the popups i referred to earlier came from clicking on a ww2 era pinup which appears in the box on the left in some of these posts, easy to get rid of.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Im 0621. Remember that one?
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

not a clue, only in for 22 months
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

not a clue, only in for 22 months

Should have said was of course. Field radio for 4/14 marine artillery. Been out for a few years though.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

well, i guess we're everywhere. don't have much to say about it. semper fi, mac, might do.

i like the east front, the more "mega" the better. so i'm having a ball with wite. most readers of these forums are surely much more experienced than i.

here's my aar so far, late aug 42 (axis). three pz armies pushing east from moscow made it to grozny. 1st pz army isn't even halfway to baku.
the idea is to capture the supply centers, however, the ai "saturation defense" has prevented any breakthroughs. Lots of russian casualties, over 6 million.

it occurs to me that the PBEM problem with one player restarting each turn might be to lock out the save option after the first combat until the turn ends. also, only 1 time to start the new turn. if the players chose to allow restarts, maybe they could exchange a password to allow this.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

it occurs to me that the PBEM problem with one player restarting each turn might be to lock out the save option after the first combat until the turn ends. also, only 1 time to start the new turn. if the players chose to allow restarts, maybe they could exchange a password to allow this.

I'm really not sure there is a real 'PBEM problem' to be honest. I mean, yes its a trust based system, as if the turn hosting process in the AGEOD games. I play for fun, if I didn't trust an opponent, I'd simply never play them again.

Here's a typical turn opening/save process for me (my current PBEM is as Soviets in 1941):

Open turn - look at the frontline, look at the battle indicators, swear, close down
reopen and hope it was better ... decide its not
spend 20-30 mins on the simple admin stuff - get low morale RDs to the rear, low morale air units to reserve etc. I may save 3-4 time in doing this.
start somewhere, usually on a front where the next set of moves are obvious. Save a few times.
do a different sector, usually one where I have real choices,
sort out the rear, esp rail allocation between factory evacs and moving new units.

All this could easily be spread over a couple of days, with 15 mins here, 30 mins there.

My opponent would go nuts if I had to ask permission to save the game or to open it, yet again.
Wheat

Post by Wheat »

Yep, play folks you trust. There are honorable opponents out there.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

have been playing with my own proposed rules, and..... they suck!!!

probably will delete this thread soon if no further interest.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

can't seem to be able to close this thread, nothing happens when i click the delete my own thread box (below). i won't be offended if someone else does so for me.

before i go please indulge a few more remarks re "rerolling", restarting, cheating.

1. sure, if you think someone is cheating just don't play them anymore. ok, what if matrix were to sponsor a tournament how do you keep the cheaters out.

2. no limit on number of saves. the ai does a save at the end of each player turn. Saves initiated by the player i am calling in turn saves (its).

3. ok. i never intended to propose permission for every save. there would be a check box on the options/preferences screen, similar to the reduced blizzard option which would say something like "locked in turn saves option"

4. with locked "its" what you get is as follows. the game saves "in turn" as now. However, when you start your game again, from the choose saved game page all you can choose is what i have called the locked "its". everybody but the cheaters does this now, ie, start again where you left off.

5. clear enough? almost certainly not. further explanation would quickly become tedious and please none of that.

6. the bottom line is no change at all to how you play or time spent on "tasks". You can only start again from where you left off. All those choices on the choose saved game page would reduce to one. Yeah well sure you then need a separate save page for PBEM. Big deal.

7. ok the big deal remark was unnessecary (never could spell that).

8. my first campaign (axis) going to be auto decisive sometime in 43, but i used +20 logistics to do it. Now to start over and play straight. then play SHC, then ready for PBEM.

Return to “The War Room”