Rookie Questions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

IdahoNYer

Rookie Questions

Post by IdahoNYer »

Still re-climbing the learning cliff after a long break.....some basic questions

- Does Fuel move by rail, or does all fuel need to be shipped? For instance, over 100k of fuel at Perth - do I need to ship it to Brisbane which has less than 20k?

- Air search fans. I understand the blue and green fans, what are the black fans?

thanks in advance!
pompack

RE: Rookie Questions

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Still re-climbing the learning cliff after a long break.....some basic questions

- Does Fuel move by rail, or does all fuel need to be shipped? For instance, over 100k of fuel at Perth - do I need to ship it to Brisbane which has less than 20k?

- Air search fans. I understand the blue and green fans, what are the black fans?

thanks in advance!

-fuel moves like supply through the network but WITHOUT wastage or attrition losses

_ black fan means double (or more) coverage of the particular search wedge
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Black means both AM and PM coverage during the day pulses or move (night moves only have one 12 hour pulse as I recall). Hal
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

What version of the game? Pompack's response does not match my experience or previous posts I've seen.

Fuel can move (by itself, like supply) but only to an adjacent port (definately not from Perth to Brisbane).

I'm at latest prod patch (no beta).
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

OK - great about the black range fans, thanks.

Am also surprised by Pompack's answer on the movement of fuel by rail - so why hasn't the fuel moved out of Perth to points east? According to tracker - I've had about 100k of fuel there for 10 turns or so?

I'm playing with the latest official patch and Dababes C mod.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Fuel does move by rail. Industry in Sidney and the rest of OZ will use up all available fuel that is connected by rail if allowed to. In the early war, I have at times moved fuel to Perth to keep Australian industry working. That is why you need to store fuel in offshore bases such as Aukland or Noumea for your fleet. So I know fuel moves by rail.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

What version of the game? Pompack's response does not match my experience or previous posts I've seen.

Fuel can move (by itself, like supply) but only to an adjacent port (definately not from Perth to Brisbane).

I'm at latest prod patch (no beta).
Recommend the latest Beta. It fixes many things and makes many other things better.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: pompack

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

_ black fan means double (or more) coverage of the particular search wedge

What does white mean? I thought that white meant am and pm redundancy.

Also, fuel seems to move overland even without rail, just very slowly.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Are we sure black doesn't mean "we'll get to it tomorrow, maybe"?

Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

I've found that black indicates overlap (IOW, I can expand the search bearings).
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

2.2 Displaying Search Arcs
-There are four ways to view search arcs.
-For all three modes, the colors displayed on screen are the same.
-What are displayed is the best case arcs if the unit does not have any aborts or ops crashes
during search. The actual arcs searched may be less than displayed if fewer planes are
available during the running of the turn.
-If there a more planes available for search than the set search arcs, the game engine will start
over from the Start arc. Sometimes the afternoon arc will look narrower than the morning arc,
what is happening is that the remaining afternoon arcs are drawing right almost on top of the
morning arcs.

-When a base is selected, the range circles and search arcs for the first unit at the base is
always displayed. If search arcs are displayed when a base is selected, this is what is
happening.
2.2.1 Naval Search arcs are displayed as a darker blue and darker green. The blue arc is
the morning search area and the afternoon search area is in green.
2.2.2 ASW arcs are half the range of Naval Search arcs and are displayed in light blue and
light green.
2.2.3 Display Arcs from the Air Group screen - Click on the button below the Patrol
Settings to show search arcs for the currently selected unit on screen. To return to
the Group screen, hit the Esc key or click anywhere on the map. Neither of these
actions will change any settings, they will only return to the Group screen.
2.2.4 Display arcs all arcs at a base - On the base screen, just above the Back and Exit
buttons is a button to display search arcs for all air units at that base (ship based
aircraft on a ship at the base will not be included). Clicking on the map or hitting the
ESC key will return to the base screen.
2.2.5 Display arcs for a TF - If a TF has any search capable aircraft, the Search Arcs
button will be available above the Back and Exit buttons. This button works
identically to the base arcs button for the current TF only.
2.2.6 Display all search arcs - The Z key will toggle all search arcs on and off for the entire
map. For this mode, the display is only turned off with the Z key.
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

2.2 Displaying Search Arcs
-There are four ways to view search arcs.
-For all three modes, the colors displayed on screen are the same.
-What are displayed is the best case arcs if the unit does not have any aborts or ops crashes
during search. The actual arcs searched may be less than displayed if fewer planes are
available during the running of the turn.
-If there a more planes available for search than the set search arcs, the game engine will start
over from the Start arc. Sometimes the afternoon arc will look narrower than the morning arc,
what is happening is that the remaining afternoon arcs are drawing right almost on top of the
morning arcs.

-When a base is selected, the range circles and search arcs for the first unit at the base is
always displayed. If search arcs are displayed when a base is selected, this is what is
happening.
2.2.1 Naval Search arcs are displayed as a darker blue and darker green. The blue arc is
the morning search area and the afternoon search area is in green.
2.2.2 ASW arcs are half the range of Naval Search arcs and are displayed in light blue and
light green.
2.2.3 Display Arcs from the Air Group screen - Click on the button below the Patrol
Settings to show search arcs for the currently selected unit on screen. To return to
the Group screen, hit the Esc key or click anywhere on the map. Neither of these
actions will change any settings, they will only return to the Group screen.
2.2.4 Display arcs all arcs at a base - On the base screen, just above the Back and Exit
buttons is a button to display search arcs for all air units at that base (ship based
aircraft on a ship at the base will not be included). Clicking on the map or hitting the
ESC key will return to the base screen.
2.2.5 Display arcs for a TF - If a TF has any search capable aircraft, the Search Arcs
button will be available above the Back and Exit buttons. This button works
identically to the base arcs button for the current TF only.
2.2.6 Display all search arcs - The Z key will toggle all search arcs on and off for the entire
map. For this mode, the display is only turned off with the Z key.

Sounds like a bunch of bull winkle to me. [:'(] Are you saying that the white is overlap on ASW arcs and black is overlap on search arcs?

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

It depends on how many modes you're looking at at once I think.

The ASW is always half as long per slice as naval search for the same model, plus different colors. The "black" is naval search AM/PM overlap I think. But that addendum is where the colors are described, not the manual. It was done after then manual.
The Moose
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Maybe this will clarify;

Attachments
Searcharcexample.jpg
Searcharcexample.jpg (200.66 KiB) Viewed 283 times
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”