Screen resolution

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

TigerTC

Screen resolution

Post by TigerTC »

I just purchased a new laptop with 1920x1080 resolution running Windows 8 and a 14 inch screen. When I run CO on it, the only option I get is to "match current screen resolution."

However, when I do that, some of the far left menu screen is basically lost -- scrunched away and hidden by the map. While not a huge deal when I can't read the entire Scenario Briefing, it is a problem when some of my menu options are hidden.

Suggestions for fixing this?
BletchleyGeek

RE: Screen resolution

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: BROJD

I just purchased a new laptop with 1920x1080 resolution running Windows 8 and a 14 inch screen. When I run CO on it, the only option I get is to "match current screen resolution."

However, when I do that, some of the far left menu screen is basically lost -- scrunched away and hidden by the map. While not a huge deal when I can't read the entire Scenario Briefing, it is a problem when some of my menu options are hidden.

Suggestions for fixing this?

Can you take an screenshot? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "scrunched away and hidden by the map".
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

Its the font scaling issue.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

Here are a couple screenshots.

Attachments
COscreenshot.jpg
COscreenshot.jpg (935.8 KiB) Viewed 161 times
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

And two.

Attachments
COscreenshot2.jpg
COscreenshot2.jpg (943 KiB) Viewed 161 times
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

?????
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: Lieste

Its the font scaling issue.

What does that mean? What do I do?
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

The comment was meant for Miguel, really. It is an issue that has been addressed before, but not successfully in all cases (often I think a failure to actually perform some of the requested steps, but there might be some issues that aren't currently trapped).

Part of the problem is that display issues at extremely high resolutions require a high resolution screen to test, and this may not be available in the active testing team (we are all volunteers).

First, ensure that for the purpose of running this application that Graphics card & Windows font scaling is for the standard DPI setting. Next try setting program compatibility to "disable font scaling at high DPI" (Right context menu>compatibility settings for CmdOps.exe)

If this isn't enough, then report back and we can try other steps (also look back at previous threads in this Tech forum ~ there might be other steps that I've forgotten/neglected).

On one previous occasion I think an offer to supply a custom exe for testing was made, but not AFAICT actually taken up.

I gather (though not with understanding all the intricacies) that this is caused by mixed support for older windows versions, XP, 7 and 8, and the solution would be trivial if only supporting 7 & 8.
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

As an additional: It is *possible* that the display 'correction' isn't made and the display is as intended if running the program in a smaller resolution than native, at the cost of slightly fuzzier display.

While 'match current' may be the only option (though I'm unsure why that would be? - I get a reasonable list of alternatives, though I always "match current"), a 'fudge' might be to adjust desktop resolution to an alternative immediately before running the App.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

While 'match current' may be the only option (though I'm unsure why that would be? - I get a reasonable list of alternatives, though I always "match current

I don't have this sidebar issue but I'm also on Windows 8 and the only option I have is "match current".

Edit: Meant to say this wasn't a problem in Windows 7 - I could choose other resolutions even if they weren't appropriate.

Edit2: Also - 1920x1080 is not what I'd call an "extremely high resolution".
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

It is pretty high width wise for a single screen, rather than a spanned group. It is the width that is dominating the automagic windows scaling functions, and probably determining user choices for font DPI within windows.

Last time I heard* we didn't have anyone using a 1920 * xyz screen in the testing group. My own screens are 1280x1024 or 1440x960 depending on which monitor is on which of my machines (I prefer the 1280x1024 one, but it is currently in use on another machine).
A long time ago I did have a 1600x1200 19" CRT, but it's electronics died and it was uneconomic to repair (again).

*Ages ago, so possibly not current.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: parmenio

While 'match current' may be the only option (though I'm unsure why that would be? - I get a reasonable list of alternatives, though I always "match current

I don't have this sidebar issue but I'm also on Windows 8 and the only option I have is "match current".

Edit: Meant to say this wasn't a problem in Windows 7 - I could choose other resolutions even if they weren't appropriate.

Edit2: Also - 1920x1080 is not what I'd call an "extremely high resolution".

Same here. I used to play in Win 7 with no problems. With Win8 I only get the "Match Current Resolution" option. Usually. Twice I've seen it come up with more choices; the most recent being the first time I started it after changing the Compatibility Mode to "Disable Scaling at High DPI." But I've toggled it back and forth since then and haven't been able to get the resolution choices again.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

The comment was meant for Miguel, really. It is an issue that has been addressed before, but not successfully in all cases (often I think a failure to actually perform some of the requested steps, but there might be some issues that aren't currently trapped).

Part of the problem is that display issues at extremely high resolutions require a high resolution screen to test, and this may not be available in the active testing team (we are all volunteers).

First, ensure that for the purpose of running this application that Graphics card & Windows font scaling is for the standard DPI setting. Next try setting program compatibility to "disable font scaling at high DPI" (Right context menu>compatibility settings for CmdOps.exe)

If this isn't enough, then report back and we can try other steps (also look back at previous threads in this Tech forum ~ there might be other steps that I've forgotten/neglected).

On one previous occasion I think an offer to supply a custom exe for testing was made, but not AFAICT actually taken up.

I gather (though not with understanding all the intricacies) that this is caused by mixed support for older windows versions, XP, 7 and 8, and the solution would be trivial if only supporting 7 & 8.

I changed the Compatibility Mode as recommended and it did not solve the problem. I even set the Compatibility Mode for it to launch in 640 x 480 (ack!) and, despite the large and fuzzy display, I still had the font problem on the left side.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

Fixed, by going into Control Panel / Fonts /Font Size, and setting to 100%.

But running a 14 inch monitor 1920x1080 on 100% font size is pretty small and difficult to read in pretty much all other programs and uses, so this will take a lot of computer customization to fix.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: BROJD

Fixed, by going into Control Panel / Fonts /Font Size, and setting to 100%.

But running a 14 inch monitor 1920x1080 on 100% font size is pretty small and difficult to read in pretty much all other programs and uses, so this will take a lot of computer customization to fix.

Indeed, it's a font-scaling issue (as in the user interface can't handle gracefully font DPI settings other than 100%).

We're in the process of moving on top of Windows newer API's for Command Ops 2, so we can finally handle fonts in a comprehensive way.

Return to “Tech Support”