A World Ignites... (AAR)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: A World Ignites... (AAR)

Post by Orm »

I am sorry for the long break in my AAR. It was never my intetion to delay so long with next post. But here is the next impulse but not much action and that is in part due to the bad weather.

----

Sep/Oct 39 - Allied #5

No declarations of war.

USSR and USA select combined. CW and France pick Naval. China goes with Land.

No Port Strikes. No naval air.

CW send out a bunch of cruisers to protect the Atlantic convoy lanes. BEF is loaded onto transports and sails to the North Sea. France abort the TRS, with the 4-3 INF, from Cape St Vincent to Rouen. France move a couple of ships to protect the convoys. USA transport Nimitz to Honolulu. US rebase a couple of submarines towards Midway.

No strategic bombing. No ground strikes. No rail movement.

USSR occupies Eastern Poland and US reacts with horror on this news. One four chit removed. USSR moves 5 units along the Romanian border. No other land moves.

USSR rebases 1 LND3 to the Polish-Romanian border. No other rebases.

No reorganization.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39, Impulse #5 (Allies) - HQ Reorganization
Attachments
095Sep39All5impulse.jpg
095Sep39All5impulse.jpg (718.25 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Sep/Oct 39 - Axis #7

The weather roll is a two so the weather is fine everywhere.

Italy declares war on France. Germany DOW Denmark. One US entry chit (4) was picked. Italy call out their reserves.

Denmark aligns to CW. I set up 5 CP in Reykjavik and the other ships in Frederikshavn.

Japan selects a land impulse. Germany and Italy goes with combined.

No Port Strikes. No naval air.

Germany moves Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, one TRS and one AMPH to the 3 box in The Baltic Sea. The AMPH carry a 5-1 garrison. Italy sends two submarines to the Atlantic.

Italy initiates combat in the Western Med, Cape St Vincent and Cape Verde Basin. But the Italian search rolls fails miserably. However, one of the French search rolls is a success so the French light cruiser Leygues finds the Italian submarine but due to the surprise the cruiser is damaged and the submarine was unscathed. Further search rolls in the sea area fail as well.

Japan strat bombs Chunking for no effect at all.

Germany rails one 7-4 from Poland to the west front.

Japan occupy Checgchow without any resistance. The US public has not even heard of this. Japan advance towards the Chinese lines in the south and begin a attempt to outflank the Chinese defence.

Germany occupies Copenhagen with the 3rd Infantry Division. Germany moves four units from Poland towards the west front.

Italy occupies the minor port Gabes in Tunisia.

Japan debarks two land units in China.

Germany invades Frederikshavn with a 5-1 and it is a automatic attack. CA Peder Skram was captured by Germany. The two other ships rebased to Wales.

No other land attacks.

No reorganization.

Edit: The turn could end with a roll of 1 but it continues since the roll was a 10.
Picture from Sep/Oct 39, Impulse #7 (Axis) - Invasion
Attachments
096Sep39Axis7impulse.jpg
096Sep39Axis7impulse.jpg (451.29 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Guzz

Post by Guzz »

I've just purchased the game and am finding the rules a little daunting tbh.
AARS like this one really help to lay a solid foundation and I have to say Orm's is one of the best I've read....well paced and clear to follow.
Thanks fella and please keep it going.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: OKW

I've just purchased the game and am finding the rules a little daunting tbh.
AARS like this one really help to lay a solid foundation and I have to say Orm's is one of the best I've read....well paced and clear to follow.
Thanks fella and please keep it going.
Thank you for the nice words. [:)]

Please tell us of your progress in learning the game.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Sep/Oct 39 - Allies #8

No declarations of war.

Although it is late in the turn I consider demanding Bessarabia with USSR. The weather is fine and if Germany denies the claim so that there will be war then Rumania only sets up 4 land units. So there should be progress but I am not likely to get a USSR unit past Bessarabia and into Rumania proper in one impulse. And since it is late in the turn there is a risk that I only get one impulse and then Germany can declare peace and that is a risk I am not willing to take. Hence I wait with demanding Bessarabia. Grrrr. [:@]

Attachments
097Sep39All8impulse.jpg
097Sep39All8impulse.jpg (597.97 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

The Allies consider passing.

CW considered landing in Denmark next to Frederikshavn in order to attack and capture that port. But, after counting, the odds of that attack seemed likely to be 4-1 so that plan was scrapped. CW can not afford to lose Gort. So then I want to land Gort in France. China wants to make a land move or two to strengthen their lines. But at the same time the bulk of the German army is in Poland and if the turn ends now then it will be delayed in arriving to the West Front. If all nations pass the chance of the turn ending goes from 20 to 40%.

I am not sure if I feel lucky so I really should not pass but I do feel lazy so I pass with all nations anyway.

But it turns out that the Allies were lucky since the turn ended on a 4.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39, Impulse #8 (Allies) - Select Impulse

Attachments
098Sep39All8impulse.jpg
098Sep39All8impulse.jpg (632.88 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

End of turn Sep/Oct 39.

No partisans.

Germany gets two neutrality markers and place one (4) as offensive and the other (2) as defensive. USSR gets one (4) and place it as offensive.

USA draws one entry marker (4) and place it against Japan. With so many high US entry markers I decide to wait with playing any US entry options.

Attachments
099Sep39EndOfTurn.jpg
099Sep39EndOfTurn.jpg (467.46 KiB) Viewed 52 times
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Glad to see this AAR resurrected. You can never have to many AAR's. [:)]
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Sep/Oct 39 - Axis #7

Italy declares war on France. Germany DOW Denmark. One US entry chit (4) was picked. Italy call out their reserves.
Italy sends two submarines to the Atlantic.
Italy initiates combat in the Western Med, Cape St Vincent and Cape Verde Basin. But the Italian search rolls fails miserably. However, one of the French search rolls is a success so the French light cruiser Leygues finds the Italian submarine but due to the surprise the cruiser is damaged and the submarine was unscathed. Further search rolls in the sea area fail as well.
Italy occupies the minor port Gabes in Tunisia.

Hmm, not the best use of the important Italian DOW. Grr [:@] . [:'(] Hint ex: Send the submarines out in earlier impulses, try to get a land attack or invasion during the surprise.
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Orm what is the thinking with Italy?

The surprise on France seems to have been used to no go effect - the search rolls not helping - but why no port attack on the French Fleet?

You mention France but not CW. So is Italy still neutral with the CW?

Finally, re the Nazi-Soviet Pact, can you tell us why you placed one marker in the defensive and one the offensive?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

The trouble with Italy is because there was a change of plans. Previously I had decided to delay the entrance into the war with Italy but after the break I felt that I wanted Italy to join the war. But since I did not see any real use of the surprise effect I only declared war on France and delayed the DOW on CW. Hopefully there will be some benefit by declaring war on CW later since it is a US entry penalty to do so.

And since Italy did not plan to go to war I had only sent one sub to sea in order to save oil. My bad.[:(] So I had to either send the subs out or make an invasion. I decided on the subs and with the limited the effect the subs had it was clearly not the right call. [:(]

There was no port strike on the French fleet since there were no ships within range of the Italian bombers. The main French port I use is Oran, Algeria, and the secondary port was Brest. I also had French cruisers based in Morocco but they had all sailed to sea.

Yes, Italy and CW are still at peace.

For the pact I placed one entry chit in each pool (defensive or offensive) for increased flexibility. If I were playing against a real opponent I would also have done so to help hide my intentions. You are allowed to move one chit per turn from the offensive pool to the defensive or vice versa. I also plan to have few units to garrison the USSR border during 1940 so a defensive chit, or more, could help out. Chits in the offensive pool have their value hidden from USSR so that is another reason for me to place some markers there. Now I just need to remember to begin moving the chits to the pool they are needed in in time.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Germany has three idle resources. I order three oil to be saved (railed) and the idle resources automatically gets assigned to production.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39, End of Turn - Preliminary Production Planning.
Attachments
100Sep39EndOfTurnGer.jpg
100Sep39EndOfTurnGer.jpg (473.64 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

With Italy I save the only oil they receive because it is imperial to have 2 oil available for oil reorganization if you are going to spend one oil for reorganization and still be able to use the generous rounding rules. And that means that Italy may not spend the saved oil for reorganization this turn. Unfortunately, this means that Italy produce 2 build points instead of the 3 they would have produced if they had used the oil for production.

Japan has one idle resource and 4 idle factories and that is not good enough. The CP that I have out should be enough to send all resources, and oil, to production. The main trouble is the oil I receive in trade from NEI. They are transported to the mainland so I send them to factories in Japan instead by using the where to command. After each change I always click on recompute so that I can see what the other changes might be, if any. I also order the Hainan resource to be produced in Canton and now I produce with all available resources.

Attachments
101Sep39EndOfTurnJap.jpg
101Sep39EndOfTurnJap.jpg (570.35 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

China has not lost any resources this turn but Japan has a ZOC into a resource hex and that stops the resource from being able to reach a factory. Note that if China would have had a land unit in the resource hex then the resource could have been used for production.

Attachments
102Sep39En..urnChina.jpg
102Sep39En..urnChina.jpg (438.75 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

USA saves one oil and thereby produce fully.

USSR do not need any changes in order to get all resources to a factory. USSR produce with 23 factories and have a production multiple of 0.25 and that equals 6 build points. So if I save one oil and just produce with 22 factories instead USSR will still receive 6 build points due to rounding. Hence USSR saves one oil in Archangel.

When the CW preliminary production window opens up it is easy to think that all is well since all factories produce. But first appearances are misleading. Here a lot of changes needs to be done to optimize production. It is easy to see that oil CW reviews in trade are idle and that should never be allowed since traded oil can't be used for reorganization. But worst thing is that the routing of resources is not optimal and in order to get all those resources to a factory CW use up French CPs so that France do not receive the resources that were planned to be transported to France. This is almost impossible to see without looking at the French production window. So I used the Skip Maj. Power button when the CW window opened and looked at the French window first and then I skipped forward to CW again. I will return to France later on.

Attachments
103Sep39EndOfTurnCW.jpg
103Sep39EndOfTurnCW.jpg (452.14 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

On this picture you can see the French CPs that were planned to transport the resources from Hanoi and Senegal to France. But the resources are shown as idle and that is because CW use those CPs so there are no CPs available to transport the French resources. So skipping forward to CW in order to make some changes.

Attachments
104Sep39En..rnFrance.jpg
104Sep39En..rnFrance.jpg (644.25 KiB) Viewed 52 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So Orm did you get all the production / convoys to work as you wanted or were there any issues with the program giving/executing the orders?

peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

On this picture you can see the French CPs that were planned to transport the resources from Hanoi and Senegal to France. But the resources are shown as idle and that is because CW use those CPs so there are no CPs available to transport the French resources. So skipping forward to CW in order to make some changes.

France appears to have no worries about the IT threat the convoy lines and the reserves are thin.
And just to be a pain in the as sort of, how do you (France) know that CW is using the CP? Where is the info in the GUI? In theory could not another allied power use the CP, ex if it was later in the war or another scenario?

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So Orm did you get all the production / convoys to work as you wanted or were there any issues with the program giving/executing the orders?
I got it all to work as I wanted but I had to take a break for dinner and dishes and so on. I'll post most of it now but the last, complicated, part of it I will post tomorrow because I am getting tired and I do not want to make mistakes while I try to explain things.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I got it all to work as I wanted but I had to take a break for dinner and dishes and so on. I'll post most of it now but the last, complicated, part of it I will post tomorrow because I am getting tired and I do not want to make mistakes why I try to explain things.
warspite1

Great work Ormster - really useful.

Return to “After Action Report”