Strategic questions for a noob

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

mantrain

Strategic questions for a noob

Post by mantrain »

I think the toughest thing, is, Like I am sure the commanders faced, is, what to do with all your lines of units on the front? The German doctrine called for schwerpunkt, which means an overwhelming amount of aggression at one point to make it impossible for the enemy to sustain the attack. But in the case of the eastern front, let's fave it, if you want to have a schwerpunkt, you are going to have to draw troops from elsewhere and leave openings, gaps. I guess this is unavoidable. So I would like to know, how are you getting your Axis troops to be ultimately victorious? Are you attacking all throughout the line on the front?
OR, do you find a few hexes, draw troops from other sections of the line, and go for the schwerpunkt? That's how I am starting out. I just cannot imagine attacking all throughout the front line at all the opposing hexes, I just don't think there would be enough aggressive energy at any one point to make a sustained break-tough.

Also, how are you handling the southern sector? It seems that the forces are dispersed (except for the build-up at Sevastopol. I really do not know what to do with Army Group South.any ideas appreciated
Thanks!
DTC666

RE: Strategic questions for a noob

Post by DTC666 »

The game gives you objectives
Cheers Danny
Hugolin

Post by Hugolin »

All-out attacks on the whole front all the time are out of question; as Germany you need to maneuver and achieve a 3-1 ratio of losses if you want to have a chance.
AGS: like said above, Rostov, etc. and plenty to do for AGN!
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

ORIGINAL: gifty

The game gives you objectives

Yeah, I sorta thought there were objectives in this game, like taking the major cities. What a windfall of information!

Thanks, such an active forum here.
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

WAKE UP FORUM!

HowieWowie

Post by HowieWowie »

Yeah I hear you Mantrain. I recently purchased CB. I've been playing some of the smaller scenarios and I have to say that the more I play the more I like the game. I used to play the SSG titles and I think this is a far better system. But alas this forum seems to be dead, a shame [&:]
wodin

Post by wodin »

The linked campaign is my favourite part..really wish Vic had made some more DLC along those lines.
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

I wasn't sure how to play the linked campaign?
Is that the one where it says "load scenario" and there are individual panzer files to load?
Thanks,

I agree on the awesomeness of the game, though the forum activity is in a sorry state.
Fonebone

Post by Fonebone »

"Linked Scenario Campaign" is what you're looking for. "1st Panzer Army" is the name of the campaign.

Yes, this game and The Blitzkrieg Warsaw to Paris are indeed both awesome. The lack of activity is hard to explain. Must be frustrating for the devs, though, I imagine.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Fonebone
me and The Blitzkrieg Warsaw to Paris are indeed both awesome. The lack of activity is hard to explain. Must be frustrating for the devs, though, I imagine.

No worries. Not frustrated. I like the game created very much.

And we are working on a next DC game as well.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

Dear Vic,

Can you offer any advise for the Axis trying to prevail in the campaign? I mean, history is stacked against us. The Axis commanders did not have playing cards to draw from. whenever they demanded more troops and supplies, the fuehrer told them it was needed for the Axis, and to hold the line.
how would have the Axis prevailed in case blue? Were there any known blunders that caused the Axis to lose this campaign?
What do you recommend? I really want to take Stalingrad and re-write history? I am sick and tired of the Bolshevik bullies.
Perhaps you can refer us to a strategy guide.
Also, is operation Uranus and mars scripted into this? We're (axis) in big trouble if they are.
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

On the other hand, due to lack of forum activity, perhaps WITE is the game of choice for eastern front. Still would like to see DLC for this title, as I tend to collect title content.
Vic

Post by Vic »

@mantrain,

My personal retrospective opinion is that the Germans should instead of splitting up their forces in Armygroup A and B should have focused their whole AGS on taking Stalingrad and Astrakhan. If they would have succeeded they would basically have turned the whole of the Caucasus into a giant pocket.

But seriously thats just my inner armchair general talking, what-ever the germans would have done would have caused them enormous problems. Basically the odds are stacked against them.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

Vic, is this how you recommend playing case blau? Basically balls out for Stalingrad? Aren't there some serious pitfalls for not going north?
Vic

Post by Vic »

It really depends on your opponent. I guess especially when playing a human player I would make a faint to the Caucasus and turn my panzers around quickly to approach Stalingrad from the West and move on Astrakhan instead of the oil fields.

Keeping the pressure or the feel of pressure up in the North is also important.

Basically its not easy. And you have to be able to adapt, if you see a real weakspot anywhere leading to major VP either in the north, center or south I think you should try to exploit it to some extend.

The same if you feel one of your drives is facing to much opposition, you might want to consider switching some of your mobile troops around to the other drive.

Its not really an exact science :)

Best,
Vic

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”