Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Flimbo

RE: Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Post by Flimbo »

Some general feedback. Played this game since 1.30 and like it a lot. Played 1.4 beta as CP and was defeated within 1915/1916 in the first two or three tries, although I'd say I'm quite a seasoned strategy game player.

- Entente has too many PP, but apparently this has been addressed already
- It's a little annoying that small garrisons can't be replaced by stronger units. Suggest that it should be possible disband them without PP refunding
- submarines are much more fun than in 1.30., but in my impression the U.S now enter the war too quickly.
- As it has been mentioned before, battleships are far too difficult to destroy now. got one trapped in the baltic sea and it took half a year to destroy it with two other battleships
- I have the feeling that arty is too weak early in the game. 10 ammo points are in no relation to the effect (often 0 kills and 1 efficiency). I also suggest that arty bombardment decreases the entrenchment level of the attacked unit to make it more useful compared to fighters. Would also be realistic to have some damages to trenches etc. Arty is too weak compared to fighters anyway, as fighters need no ammo and do not have to be positioned before the attack
- What are bombers good for? I only use them to destroy fighters and sometimes arty. Would be cool if I could use it against railroads
- Can't really see a purpose for the industrial train either. Might not be realistic but I'd suggest to tweak them a little and make them more expensive in turn
- I noticed that my units are immediately low on supply when cut off in the AI-turn, but this does not seem to be true for the AI-units when I cut them off. Will try to upload save games to prove this.
- Railroad gun research takes too long. Unless I build three labs and focus on them I've got the feeling I never manage to discover railroad guns before the end of the game. However, focusing doesn't make sense as the other arty research is much more important (for the reason mentioned above)
- It's a little silly that a unit, that is encircled by 5 enemy units but has access to railraods, can be replaced by train. Some kind of zone of control rule to prevent this would be welcome in my opinion
- Appreciate that the game is still well supported and looking forward to the hotfix!
operating

Post by operating »

Turks can not rail in or out of Sarkamish CP 1916 SP. Finally completed (draw, should have accepted Russian surrender offer, big mistake) a 1916 CP SP without CTD. Really don't mind the stationary small garrisons in SP, however, in MP they might be toast. Like the cruiser bombard capability. French admiral Gauchet 350 kills is a bit outlandish to enter the game. More Commanders should be made available, does not make sense to limit them, when there are 50 or more included with the game, should be cultivated more often, instead of "none available".
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

So quiet... Waiting patiently [8D]
Rod T DeMore
dogancan

Post by dogancan »

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

So quiet... Waiting patiently [8D]

+1 [:)]
This is Great War, everybody dies!
ojnab_bob

Post by ojnab_bob »

+2 [:'(] I also generally join in Flimbo's comments, supra.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

+3 [:D] ( Hey folks things are getting closer to release off the edited version of the Open Beta 1.40 )

With fixes to bugs,and response to you guy requests for some other game play changes.[;)]
Make it so!
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Thanks for the update Kirk!
Rod T DeMore
dogancan

Post by dogancan »

thanks for the update.
This is Great War, everybody dies!
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Take your time, still messing with the games from the holiday sale.[;)]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

+3 [:D] ( Hey folks things are getting closer to release off the edited version of the Open Beta 1.40 )

With fixes to bugs,and response to you guy requests for some other game play changes.[;)]

How about making it so units can embark from just about any coastal hex as long as they are in full supply, much like what happened at Galipoli (those units were later used in other theaters of the war) .

If your opponents' country surrenders, your units that are trapped by the resulting surrender should be allowed to go back to the production panel (automatically or by choice), or be allowed if on a coastal hex (not in port), to embark, instead of being forced to disband those units.
operating

Post by operating »

Got the memo "Russia imminent surrender" several turns ago, took Petrograd and other cities since, it's now 95/97 turn in a CP 1915 SP scenario, Russia has lost it's BB and over 1500 troops, ect.. Yet it is still putting out #10 efficiency units, same thing in France after taking Paris, and coast cities, Verdun and Dijon. Can appreciate the difficulty level of this beta, but I think surrender conditions for Russia may have been too strong.

Bulgaria! I cannot figure out how to get involved in the game. While fighting in Romania it went from RED to Black, but once I had captured all of Romania it went Red again. Serbia, Dutch had already surrendered, Arab Revolt had been squashed.. What does it take to activate Bulgaria? Might the conditions for this be explained or adjusted.....

Just checked game, Russia could be at #8 efficiency.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi your observation's about the game play are in hand, and have been tweaked some more ![;)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

The RR gun should be abolished, a complete waste of time.

Russian surrender turn 97/97, Marginal Victory, Bulgaria in Black going to enter 1-3 turns, (much too late).

Why all the Colonial infantry at South France ports, when my troop transports approach these ports? For that matter, any Entente ports or landfalls in the Med sea area.. When playing as Entente, I don't get the choice of regular infantry vs colonial infantry, then again I have never had to deploy any troops in those areas, and certainally not without waiting 3 turns to do so from the production panel..

By causing numerous colonial units to protect ports, does that cause a significant drop in NM or rather efficiency? For it takes at least a 10 out of the population # per unit, driving down the efficiency of the host country. Do I stand correct, or is it meaningless, for these are free unencumbered units to their owners?

One more thing: Why is it that when playing as Entente (1916 or later), no Persian troops, yet, as CP (same time period) Persia has all kinds of troops, or has troop building capacity?

In MP 1.30 1914 start, a certain Entente gentleman from N. Carolina went straight after Persia cities, the Persians were completely defenseless, no Production Panel, "a walk in the park", the only country on the map without the ability to defend itself, that has got to change......

operating

Post by operating »

Repeated the same scenario as in prior post, attacking from the beginning into Poland and getting around to the East side of neutral Romania, seems to entice Bulgaria to join the CP quite a bit sooner, than a static front, which at first thought would be the safest (conservative) approach. Russia surrenders in the early fall of 1917. The last 4 games have been stable (SP CP 1915). Refused French and English surrenders, just to see how it plays out.

Would like to see a overall statistics (all nations) panel, NM, PP, ect...

The best bang for a buck is---SUBS. especially "V class". At some point CP should/has to sink convoys to shut England and France PP down, and by the way makes the game a lot more interesting pissing off the Americans. The expanded detection zone of ships, makes the naval war, to me, more viable.

At first, thought the Entente PP was over powering, however, I have my doubts about that now in SP, it might be murder in MP, for I have not played MP 1.30 in some time, since my old PC went up in smoke and the new 1.40 beta does not seem to work with current matches.

Looking past some of the obvious defects in the game (visable subs, ect.), I like the game.

operating

Post by operating »

By causing numerous colonial units to protect ports, does that cause a significant drop in NM or rather efficiency? For it takes at least a 10 out of the population # per unit, driving down the efficiency of the host country. Do I stand correct, or is it meaningless, for these are free unencumbered units to their owners?

Took a closer look at these, what I called "Colonial troops/units". Yes, they do show costs in upkeep and manpower in the same way as regular infantry, but there is a difference;

What is seen on the map is a level 1 infantry; stats-11-12-defences, 10 ground, 0 shock, 0 anti air.

Click the units' info button this appears; 18-12 defenses, 10 ground, 1 shock, 2 anti air.

The problem is; Which is true?
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks for spotting this units stats difference, I will take a closer look at this[;)]

UPDATE : I have just checked the latest Units Lua script, and this has already been picked up,both as seen on map,and Unit Info are the same,no conflict.But this will be in the Sunday Hot Fix when the correct data files are added[:)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: operating

How about making it so units can embark from just about any coastal hex as long as they are in full supply, much like what happened at Galipoli (those units were later used in other theaters of the war) .

If your opponents' country surrenders, your units that are trapped by the resulting surrender should be allowed to go back to the production panel (automatically or by choice), or be allowed if on a coastal hex (not in port), to embark, instead of being forced to disband those units.

What I did notice in a 1.30 MP match; When France surrendered (NM 0%), all my trapped English units (in France) returned to the Production Panel (during opponent's turn, with no special designation from other units just built), in better condition than they actually were in France. On my turn, those units could be deployed immediately and "moved" immediately, OR, deployed and be disbanded immediately for full population (6-10 or more) usage, -2or3 (or more) to maintenance costs, and +5 (or more) points to the production panel. Which I thought was pretty neat!, however, trapped CP units could not do the same, which I thought was odd, for all the trapped CP units would have to be disbanded without the benefits that the Entente got.

What I mean by trapped CP units is; units that may have been cut off by Entente units during the previous turn and/or CP units that had disembarked at some time before the surrender but still in supply by CP ships. My point is; That these units should be allowed to embark or go back to the production panel the same as the Entente units do.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”