What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Thank you, sounds like a title worth getting, just like another one, Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham.
Thank you. I am putting Scramble for Africa on my "to buy" list at once.
warspite1

Ordered from Amazon - thanks for the tip Hotschi
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

I just finished reading 1658. March across the Belts in Swedish. It is about the risky operation that in the end led to the peace where Scania was ceded to Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_across_the_Belts
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Thank you, sounds like a title worth getting, just like another one, Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham.
warspite1

warspite1

Wow...it arrived today... on a Sunday...

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

warspite1

Wow...it arrived today... on a Sunday...
Amazingly fast. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

The Cat from Hué: John Laurence.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Finished Gathering Storm - a very good read

Now onto Third Axis, Fourth Ally: The Romanian Armed Forces in the European War 1941-45.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Now onto Third Axis, Fourth Ally: The Romanian Armed Forces in the European War 1941-45.
I do not understand this title - Third Axis, Fourth Ally. [&:]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Join the club! But I think it refers to the European war only, and that in terms of overall contribution, Romania was the 3rd member of the Axis and (after she switched sides in 1944) the fourth member of the Allies. I might be talking sloblocks however...

So far, its proving to be a good book [8D]

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Join the club! But I think it refers to the European war only, and that in terms of overall contribution, Romania was the 3rd member of the Axis and (after she switched sides in 1944) the fourth member of the Allies. I might be talking sloblocks however...

Great Britain, France, Poland, USSR, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Norway and Yugoslavia were all European nations that, as I understand it, were part of the Allies. And not counting USA, Canada, Australia and India in its contribution towards defeating the Euro-Axis just seems plain wrong to me.

And then there is Italy after 1943...

I think that your explanation is the right one but it feels to me that the one selecting the title was talking sloblocks.

In my book Romania is nowhere near being the fourth Ally.

----

But, please, keep me updated on what you think of the book. I do feel that my knowledge of Romania during WWII is lacking.
parusski

Post by parusski »

Hannibal: A History of the Art of War among the Carthaginians and Romans Down to the Battle of Pydna, 168 BC, with a Detailed Account of the Second Punic War by Theodore Ayrault Dodge
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: parusski

Hannibal: A History of the Art of War among the Carthaginians and Romans Down to the Battle of Pydna, 168 BC, with a Detailed Account of the Second Punic War by Theodore Ayrault Dodge
And yet another book that I have to read. [:)]
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Thinking about picking up AGEOD's Espana game at some point in the future. Figured I should know what the heck this war was about before I try to fight it. Really interesting so far, although it's difficult to keep up with the multitude of different factions on the republican side.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Really interesting so far, although it's difficult to keep up with the multitude of different factions on the republican side.
warspite1

+ 1

Anarchists, Falangists, Carlists, CEDA, Popular Front, CNT/FAI etc etc. Not an easy read - but a good book nonetheless.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Great Britain, France, Poland, USSR, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Norway and Yugoslavia were all European nations that, as I understand it, were part of the Allies. And not counting USA, Canada, Australia and India in its contribution towards defeating the Euro-Axis just seems plain wrong to me.

And then there is Italy after 1943...

I think that your explanation is the right one but it feels to me that the one selecting the title was talking sloblocks.

In my book Romania is nowhere near being the fourth Ally.

----

But, please, keep me updated on what you think of the book. I do feel that my knowledge of Romania during WWII is lacking.
warspite1

A couple more chapters in and yes, my first impressions were justified - this is an excellent book. The only niggle I have is that the maps are appallingly basic. But that aside, it is really interesting learning about the strengths and weaknesses of the Romanian army, why they went to war in the first place, the hatred of the Hungarians (one incident already where they almost came to blows - inside the Soviet Union!), the losses suffered, the political aspect. Great Stuff!

Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Looks like your book is a very intersting read, warspite. Currently, it sells from Euro 109 upwards at Amazon... [X(]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
prince_blucher

Post by prince_blucher »

The Campaigns of Napoleon, by David G Chandler.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Finished Churchill and Australia by Graham Freudenberg. Bad press for Winston, but Freudenberg is also treating Australian politicians critically. Learned heaps of new things. Didn't know that WSC wanted to divert parts of a Australian Division to Burma during its way home from the Mediterranean. Naturally, Gallipoli of WW I is covered, as well as all the quarrels between Curtin and Churchill. Good read, recommended.

Currently reading Australia's Pacific War - Challenging a National Myth by Tom O'Lincoln. A pita to read, but at least O'Lincoln openly states he intended this book for a left-wing audience. He raises some good points, problem is his interpretation. And I don't expect to have Marx, Engels and Trotski quoted in a book about the Pacific War.... Anyway, it's refreshing to read a completely differing opinion - refreshing yes, but still has me rolling my eyes on almost every page.

Reading all this Australian/Churchill related stuff, drags me deeper and deeper into the "Politics of War". There's some interesting books around by D.M.Horner and David Day...

I need days 48 hours long [:D]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Finished Churchill and Australia by Graham Freudenberg. Bad press for Winston, but Freudenberg is also treating Australian politicians critically. Learned heaps of new things. Didn't know that WSC wanted to divert parts of a Australian Division to Burma during its way home from the Mediterranean. Naturally, Gallipoli of WW I is covered, as well as all the quarrels between Curtin and Churchill. Good read, recommended.

Currently reading Australia's Pacific War - Challenging a National Myth by Tom O'Lincoln. A pita to read, but at least O'Lincoln openly states he intended this book for a left-wing audience. He raises some good points, problem is his interpretation. And I don't expect to have Marx, Engels and Trotski quoted in a book about the Pacific War.... Anyway, it's refreshing to read a completely differing opinion - refreshing yes, but still has me rolling my eyes on almost every page.

Reading all this Australian/Churchill related stuff, drags me deeper and deeper into the "Politics of War". There's some interesting books around by D.M.Horner and David Day...

I need days 48 hours long [:D]
warspite1

I know the feeling. There are a number of books I want to read again too, but I just haven't got the time as there are too many unread books still to be started [&:]

Amazed you can stick with a pita book like O'Lincoln's - I've never read it, but from your description I suspect I never will either [;)]

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have got started with Heavy metal : a tank company's battle to Baghdad. Looks pretty interesting I say. Did you know tanks exchanged fire inside urban areas at ranges less than 50 meters? "Gun fight in phone booth"

If I like this well enough, I could order The Good Soldiers and Thank You for Your Service
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Anyone know of, and can recommend, a really good book on the Balkans? I am particularly interested in the period post break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the various Balkan Wars, but happy for the book to cover further back (so long as that period is the main focus).

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows of such a book.

Return to “General Discussion”