advice for beginner --> which game?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

gradenko2k

RE: advice for beginner --> which game?

Post by gradenko2k »

Unity of Command

* Cheap
* PBEM-friendly
* Boardgame-esque CRT for combat results (plus an interface that actually evaluates your odds)
* Operational-level WW2 Eastern Front setting
* Low unit count
* Easily understandable mechanics
* Captures logistics and maneuver warfare well
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

My advice would be to search for demos of some of the titles above, your call as to which, before buying. I have no doubt you will find many games you will enjoy. Also, demo some games you don't think you'll enjoy. It's great when you are proved wrong.
A Sharif
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

No demo of The Operational Art of War III, but there is demo of The Operational Art of War, Volume 1. Differences are certainly many, but if you like demo of the first game of this fine serie, you'll like the newest game too.

gamershell.com site has demos of lots of games. You should be able to find most of the rest from there if Matrix site doesn't list them. This thread could be of interest to you. And this about TOAW3
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Welcome philestar. I recommend Steel Panthers:WAW-GE. Easy to learn, weel developed game with plenty of support here and in many forums. A bit dated graphics, but many mods and scenarios available. Whatever game you pick, keep checking its forum here as many good comments and help available. Good luck![8D]
JRR
philestar

Post by philestar »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all this information. I am studiying all the opportunities. But there finalily are no other strategic game that can be play etheir on computer or boardgame than WIF.

So I begin to read the WIF rules finaly. I will see if it is digest or not. I have a friend who wants to play it (and knows it).

If WIF is not digest i'll try panzer corps.

See you later,

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Well another game that is a board game and a computer game and strategic is War in Europe by decision games. Of course finding a copy of the board game would be expensive. And it is not really for beginners either though a lot easier to learn the WIF.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

If you don't need an AI computer opponent which is where computer WIF is for the foreseeable future then pick your favourite WW2 strategic boardgame and see if there is a Vassal module for it http://www.vassalengine.org/
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Return to “General Discussion”