advice for beginner --> which game?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

philestar

advice for beginner --> which game?

Post by philestar »

Hello I discovered your forum today.

I'm a rather a boardgame player (axis and allies - twilight struggle and so on) and I would like to get into wargames.
What wargames you advise for a beginner?
Ideally a game that can be played by PEBM.
It Would be cool if the game exists in boardgame (but not obligatory)
Preference for strategic and WW2.

Thank you in advance,
warspite1

RE: advice for beginner --> which game?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: philestar

Hello I discovered your forum today.

I'm a rather a boardgame player (axis and allies - twilight struggle and so on) and I would like to get into wargames.
What wargames you advise for a beginner?
Ideally a game that can be played by PEBM.
It Would be cool if the game exists in boardgame (but not obligatory)
Preference for strategic and WW2.

Thank you in advance,
warspite1

Matrix World In Flames

Strategic - tick
WW2 - tick
Exists as a boardgame - tick
For a beginner - Not really, this game has a bit of a learning curve, but the sheer quality of the game makes it well worth the effort.

The computer Game has issues so if this appeals after the above, then please read the AAR's and Tech Support threads and ask questions on the forum.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

I would try Panzer Corps...feels like a board game, and it's easy to learn the basics...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
philestar

Post by philestar »

World in flames is .... too difficult for me.....
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Advanced Tactics Gold. It can represent more then just WW2 and you can get specific scenarios for WW2 as well as other times. It is not a board game though, but has PBEM and a ok AI.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Hello and welcome!

The first computer wargame I purchased here was War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition. An epic game where 1 turn represents 1 day... (you can set it to 3 days as well if you like).

If you are more into the European theatre, maybe try War in the East which also contains numerous smaller scenarios.

Honestly, there's no WW II title offered here where you will be totally disappointed. If unsure, check the forums for each game of interest, what the players themselves have to say.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Conflict of Heroes is a board game and a computer game. Check boardgamegeek for the first and the forum here for the second. Squad level with single vehicles.

For A&A type game there is a free one called TripleA and a pay for game Lux Deluxe.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

World in Flames, War in the Pacific or War in the East - for a beginner [:-]

If you want a brilliant and much improved version of Axis and Allies on the computer have a look at Gary Grigsby's World at War a World Divided.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
budd

Post by budd »

Battle Academy and Combat Command both easy to jump into and both have PBEM. Battle Academy PBEM seems much more active.

Combat Command forum ... tt.asp?forumid=377
Battle Academy forum Matrix.... tt.asp?forumid=831
Battle Academy forum Slitherine ... http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewfor ... 61dbd1e1b9
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Welcome.

It's not out yet but http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=185 looks like it's going to be a fine game.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Hello,

For a beginner I'd start with Commander Europe At War, it's a great, straight-forward game that I still play years after buying it.
Richard
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

If you have never played one before (Computerized War Game), I would highly recommend Panzer Corps. Very easy to play, very easy to learn, and you'll be emerged in no time.

It's not my favorite game by any stretch but you'll be either hooked on war games after or not. Then you can explore any 'depth'.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Has to be strategic? I prefer tactical and would recommend a freebie first to get you into wargaming. Look for Steel Panthers World at War either here or shrapnel.com Very good game has lasted thru the ages of time though it's now starting to show its age in graphics but the game design is superb. It's a free game at both sites so you can't go wrong trying it out.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Panzer Corps and Commander are both great suggestions. I'll add one more, Strategic Command, the first version. One other suggestion, before buying any, try the demos.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Conflict of Heroes meets all your criteria on tactical scale.

Steel Panthers: World at War (SPWAW) is also tactical scale wargame and more realistic at that. Vanilla game has good tutorial and manual, and SPWAW Depot provides more training scenarios that detail proper tactics for whole lot stuff (not blitzkrieg though).

Panzer Corps is excellent recommendation. Little more demanding but more detailed and realistic operational scale wargame is The Operational Art of War III. Has some oddities, like amphibious tank which isn't amphibious in gameplay [:-]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
decaro

Post by decaro »

Wars in America has a board game feel and has PBEM; same could be said for most if not all AGEOD games.
Uncommon Valor can be played with hexes on, is WW II, plays PBEM and is much smaller in scope than WitP.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I don't really have a suggestion, but wanted to say welcome. Even if you don't find a game you like, you can come here and talk about any games all you want.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: philestar

World in flames is .... too difficult for me.....
warspite1

philestar - no probs, I thought it worth mentioning as it fitted your other three requirements. Good luck in your game hunting [:)].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
captain10

Post by captain10 »

I would recommend you Commander Europe At War. I have played it for years.

It's easy to learn to play and PBEM games are great. It focus on WWII in Europe and you can choose the Allied or the Axis side. You can produce your units and develop better units using technology advances.

Movement and combat are very easy to manage. You can use your armour spearheads to create kessels of enemy troops, and your airplanes to attack enemy factories and land units. One of my favourit features of the game is the use of u-boats in the Athlantic to pursue the Allied convoys.

Regards
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Welcome Sebastien! John Tiller's Campaign Series is a great game, it's tactical however with a medium learning curve. [:)]
The game: http://www.matrixgames.com/store/318/Jo ... ign.Series
The forum: tt.asp?forumid=226

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

Return to “General Discussion”