Can this be DONE?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Werewolf13

Can this be DONE?

Post by Werewolf13 »

Can the type of scenario described below be built...

Submarine surveillance:

Player controlled Sub enters a defined area with a mission to remain undetected and locate type and number of local opposition naval forces. If sub is detected by the opposing force then anti-sub forces move to detection area and prosecute the contact with the goal of forcing player controlled sub to the surface. If not detected the player controlled sub performs assigned mission and when complete departs area at which time mission ends. Victory for the player is to ID a minimum number of opposing forces and leave the area without having been detected.

ROE for both sides would be weapons tight unless fired upon first. Sub would need to break contact (opposing force loses contact) and get the hell out of Dodge. Opposing force would need to maintain contact and force the player controlled sub to the surface.

I note that in the manual that there are triggers that pop events and actions but I did not note an "if unit detected trigger".

Without a unit detected trigger how would one go about creating a scenario built around the above.

ASIDE: I imagine that not a few of the community may be of a mind that the scenario as described would be quite boring since the goal for the player is to get in, get out and do it without creating an international incident. In a game it might be. If such a scenario could be built would players find it interesting? Challenging or does the typical player prefer shots fired scenarios to be more to their liking?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Russian Heel

RE: Can this be DONE?

Post by Russian Heel »

That would not be boring! Though it might be better played on a platform like Dangerous Waters from the submarine side, but the ASW side would be a blast.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Can the type of scenario described below be built...

Sooooo...

NO?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

I think that sort of scenario could be made. Would require some very creative use of triggers. :)

The only bits that I'm not sure are possible are: "Sub would need to break contact (opposing force loses contact) and get the hell out of Dodge." and detecting when the player has surfaced.

What I would do to make a scenario like this is as follows: (Playerside aiside are the two sides), set the two sides to unfriendly, or atleast the AI is unfriendly towards the playerside
Create 2 ships on aiside far far far(1000nm) away in one big pile.
Create 2 missions and add these 4 ships each to their own ASW strike mission. The mission is triggered when contact is unfriendly, and the other when contact is unknown
place an area between the playersub and these 2 ships, set up events that take points away from the player for thses ships entering the areas.
When the ship with the unknown mission breaches that area you know that the player has been detected
when the ship with the unfriendly mission breaches the area you know that the player has been classified (a ship got close enough to figure out the players side)

Essentially we are using these ships as player event circutry.

For doing the recon part of the scenario you would use the same sort of procedure; except target these ASuW Missions on contact and triggered when unfriendly
so your sub needs to get close enough to the contact to detect that it is a unfriendly via detecting its side.

You can put the scoring ships on their own side to prevent their control by the player.

I used a trick like this during my stream about a event editor tutorial to make two sides hostile to eachother based on a detection.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

I guess the short answer is, "Yes, that can be done. But: its complicated." [:D]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

I guess the short answer is, "Yes, that can be done. But: its complicated." [:D]

Hmmm...

A bit too complicated. Is there a wish list thread somewhere? I'd like to add a detection trigger want to it.

Which begs the question: I've read most of the manual though not all so I have to ask - can triggers be controlled in detail with a script or are they a simple true/false deal?

Michael Andress
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

There is a unit is detected trigger.

The event editor is script designed to script actions based on triggers and soon conditionally. We're working on conditional logic and have one added to the game so far.

Hope this helps explain stuff.

Mike
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

There is a unit is detected trigger.

The event editor is script designed to script actions based on triggers and soon conditionally. We're working on conditional logic and have one added to the game so far.

Hope this helps explain stuff.

Mike

Good to know, Mike:

I didn't see a reference to a unit detected trigger - can you point me at it, please. I did see in the manual a references to a scripting language but no language reference. Is it available or still in development. Will a language reference be available to us plebes? [;)]

I'm not your usual gamer I guess. I prefer building scenarios to playing them. [X(]

Michael Andress
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi Werewolf

We haven't updated the manual yet but you can find notes on many of our changes here:

tm.asp?m=3254618&mpage=5

Thanks!

Mike

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”