Warhunter's Weather & Terrain Mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

WarHunter

Warhunter's Weather & Terrain Mod

Post by WarHunter »

This Mod came about as a replacement to the weather bitmaps in game. They were good enough to get the point across. They were just not fun to look at over long periods of time. Mostly i turned them off.

Being a computer game. It seemed to me they could be better.

This is the result of my work. Its amateur work at best. I'm sure there are others with greater skill and patience.
With that said here it is.

The Weather Mod replaces bitmaps in the, Terrain Bitmaps Folder.
Found here. C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Terrain Bitmaps
Blizzard
Rain
Rough Seas
Snow
Storm
Typhoon

While working on the Weather. Decided to expand and see what i could do with the terrain. Found out very quickly there is a limited amount of work that can be done with the terrain.

The Terrain Mod replaces bitmaps in the, Terrain Bitmaps Folder.
Found here. C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Terrain Bitmaps
Desert Mountain
Desert
Forest
Ice
Jungle
Lake
Mountain
Sea
Swamp
Tundra
The terrain mod has 1 side effect. It does not redraw any coastal hexes. They stay the default terrain animation. What you get in effect is 2 of the same terrain. 1 coastal 1 landlocked. Its not so bad once you see it.

Un-Zip the file and place into the C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Terrain Bitmaps
Be sure to copy the Terrain Bitmaps folder in case of mistakes or just want to return to original.

Thats all for the Mod.
Feel free to pick and choose what you want to use. Have fun!
Screen shots below.
Attachments
Weather_Terrain_Mod.zip
(489.22 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

RE: Warhunter's Weather & Terrain Mod

Post by WarHunter »

NEI Clear

Attachments
nei_cl.jpg
nei_cl.jpg (690.78 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

NEI Bad

Attachments
nei_bd.jpg
nei_bd.jpg (657.78 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

East Med Clear

Attachments
eamd_cl.jpg
eamd_cl.jpg (631.68 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

East Med Bad

Attachments
eamd_bdl.jpg
eamd_bdl.jpg (895.34 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

USSR Clear

Attachments
ussr_cl.jpg
ussr_cl.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

USSR Bad

Attachments
ussr_bdl.jpg
ussr_bdl.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

West Europe Clear

Attachments
weEu_cll.jpg
weEu_cll.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 224 times
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Japan Bad

Attachments
ja_bdl.jpg
ja_bdl.jpg (910.89 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Marcus Luttrell
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

Nice work! Love your snow graphic!

I've been experimenting with the terrain bitmaps too. I'm finding the coastal hexes are the hardest as they are individual and unique instead of one size fits all.

WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

I've been experimenting with the terrain bitmaps too. I'm finding the coastal hexes are the hardest as they are individual and unique instead of one size fits all.

Thanks for the compliment.

I think overall the Rain and Snow graphic came out the best. Feel free to add them to your work. I'm just never gonna put the time on to do the coastal bitmaps. Those files are huge.
Good luck with your mod.
Marcus Luttrell
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

Thanks for the compliment.

I think overall the Rain and Snow graphic came out the best. Feel free to add them to your work. I'm just never gonna put the time on to do the coastal bitmaps. Those files are huge.
Good luck with your mod.
I have a program that does the coastal hexes. It takes several supporting files though: the ~black and white overlays for the coastal hexes and river/lake hexes. Also, it only executes against a portion of the world map at a time. I think there are about 30 map segments.

What happens is the program uses the given raw graphics for each terrain type and processes each hex in the given map segment file (from upper left corner to lower right corner) against the coastal overlay BMP, drawing in the corresponding terrain type for each coastal hex, and also adding the river overlay BMP for that hex. The result is a BMP file for the corresponding map segment, with the coastal hexes correct and the inland hexes ignored. Second program then process the full BMP, extracting just the coastal hexes. Yet a third program takes all the coastal hexes, for all the map segments, and turns them into the graphic data files you see in the Bitmap folder. There is a corresponding file which identifies which hexagon goes with which hex.

The result of all this labor is that MWIF has the coastal bitmaps at its 'fingertips' when refreshing the screen. Inland hexes are drawn using the raw graphics plus the RVR file, which is a compressed data file for where the rivers are suppose to go. There is also a bunch of code handling the zoom level too.

Weather is a simple overlay, so changing that just requires substituting in new graphics.

I like your desert mountains and Shellshock's swamps. But redoing the graphics would be a ton of work for me because of the coastal hexes. You also have to be careful of how colors appear for players who have trouble differentiating colors.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

But redoing the graphics would be a ton of work for me because of the coastal hexes. You also have to be careful of how colors appear for players who have trouble differentiating colors.

Thanks the BMP file information. Yes, those coastal hexes are kinda tricky. I'm finding Photoshop helps as you can isolate areas by common color and save them as selections, but you still need to do a bit of touch-up in the end.

Now I just need to find some textures I like. My current desert one looks like oatmeal. I do like the clear terrain textures that came with the game. [8D]

WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
I have a program that does the coastal hexes. It takes several supporting files though: the ~black and white overlays for the coastal hexes and river/lake hexes. Also, it only executes against a portion of the world map at a time. I think there are about 30 map segments.

What happens is the program uses the given raw graphics for each terrain type and processes each hex in the given map segment file (from upper left corner to lower right corner) against the coastal overlay BMP, drawing in the corresponding terrain type for each coastal hex, and also adding the river overlay BMP for that hex. The result is a BMP file for the corresponding map segment, with the coastal hexes correct and the inland hexes ignored. Second program then process the full BMP, extracting just the coastal hexes. Yet a third program takes all the coastal hexes, for all the map segments, and turns them into the graphic data files you see in the Bitmap folder. There is a corresponding file which identifies which hexagon goes with which hex.

The result of all this labor is that MWIF has the coastal bitmaps at its 'fingertips' when refreshing the screen. Inland hexes are drawn using the raw graphics plus the RVR file, which is a compressed data file for where the rivers are suppose to go. There is also a bunch of code handling the zoom level too.

Weather is a simple overlay, so changing that just requires substituting in new graphics.

I like your desert mountains and Shellshock's swamps. But redoing the graphics would be a ton of work for me because of the coastal hexes. You also have to be careful of how colors appear for players who have trouble differentiating colors.

Thanks for the replies on this and other posts.
Those coastal bitmaps without the help of 3 programs you use would break me. Heck, i opened up that folder and submitted to unconditional surrender.

I only just learned about the "magic wand" in Paint.net this last week. What a time saver that is! I'm such a noob.
Marcus Luttrell

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”