[SPOILER] Harpoons and launch group disbands

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

brassem

[SPOILER] Harpoons and launch group disbands

Post by brassem »

The current testing is on Ex Pitch Black, 2017 on build 484

Why do some of the Harpoons break manual attack orders? and the launch fighter group disband after launch?

This has been consistant through all new restarts and many builds (Since >360).

In the scenario save supplied, two groups of two F/A-18 have been manually targeted to 365 Diponegoro [Sigma 9113], to their northwest respectively. # 342,332. Different Hi-Lo launch envelopes have been tested.

The two groups 2058/2059 are armed with 2 x 2 AGM-84D Harpoon IC each.

The harpoons launch okay. The launch group then immediately dispands and fly individually to attempt a refuel at the "refuel" mission location SouthEast.

Why do they disband?

The harpoons are inflight then I get a message similar too;

6/10/2017 2:51:44 AM: 6 Sqn #1 is dropping 365 Diponegoro [Sigma 9113] #342 from its target list (Reason: The target is not auto-targeted, and no outstanding weapons or assignments against it exist).

This type of error has been consistent through all new fresh starts. It never was auto-targeted. It was confirmed manually assigned to target just prior to launch.

Upon reading the message I panic and group select the launched Harpoons (x4), select unit orders attack (auto), and designate the intended target. The target now correctly shows that 4 units are targeting it. And the attack by the harpoons do follow through to the targeted Diponegoro.

I have not gone further into this scenario progression as I would like to the take the piquet ships out first, but have not seen a clean execution yet. (Since build 360!).

[NOTE: The supplied save game is just prior to the F/A-18's Harpoon launch.]

I look forward to seeing how this plays out for you guys and see what your comments are.

Cheers,

BrassEm.

Attachments
ExPitchB..BrassEm.zip
(331 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
i7-3930K@3.2Ghz&H100liquid|ASUSP9X79Deluxe>X680/OC|32GBGSkillPC2400|2TBRaid0|Antec1200&1200WTruePower|ASUSGV278H-3D|SBX-FiT-Pro|TurtlebeachDPX21|Win7-64U
Maromak

RE: [SPOILER] Harpoons and launch group dispands

Post by Maromak »

ORIGINAL: brassem

The harpoons launch okay. The launch group then immediately dispands and fly individually to attempt a refuel at the "refuel" mission location SouthEast.

Why do they disband?

Hi BrassEm. This normally occurs when the doctrine for the group/unit is set to RTB on Winchester = YES. If you don't want the group to disband after firing the Harpoons, set the RTB on Winchester value to NO.
ORIGINAL: brassem

The harpoons are inflight then I get a message similar too;

6/10/2017 2:51:44 AM: 6 Sqn #1 is dropping 365 Diponegoro [Sigma 9113] #342 from its target list (Reason: The target is not auto-targeted, and no outstanding weapons or assignments against it exist).

This type of error has been consistent through all new fresh starts. It never was auto-targeted. It was confirmed manually assigned to target just prior to launch.

Upon reading the message I panic and group select the launched Harpoons (x4), select unit orders attack (auto), and designate the intended target. The target now correctly shows that 4 units are targeting it. And the attack by the harpoons do follow through to the targeted Diponegoro.

I have not gone further into this scenario progression as I would like to the take the piquet ships out first, but have not seen a clean execution yet. (Since build 360!).

I loaded your file and observed the Harpoons from Group 2058 go active and then lock onto the LPD which was in front (to the south of) the Sigma. As you explained in your post, the Harpoons all initially were targeted on the Sigma (with the figure '4'). I selected the Harpoons (x4) and tried to auto target them back on to the Sigma but this didn't work (as I expected).

I can't really give you a helpful solution as everything appears to be working normally. Perhaps others can take a look at your save file.

Hope you're enjoying the scenario and please let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions for improvement.

Thanks

P.S. good to see you're keeping an eye on the Aussie Embassy [:)]

Edit: I forgot to add that I noticed your F/A-18 group speed was 350kts. This appears to be a minor bug which happens to aircraft in groups rather than aircraft assigned individually to missions.
Certa Cito
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

I fixed some targeting errors in B486. Could you please try that version and see if the problem is still there. Thanks! [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
brassem

Post by brassem »

Will do emsoy!

Thanks for the explanation Maromak.

The RTB function is quite logical once explained. Will have to micro the groups a little more for a group RTB.

Will start the scenario from fresh and go with whatever the Harpoons decide to do.

I am enjoying the scenario very much. I am intrigued by the dispositions of all units. Obviously the embassy has high value in the Exercise. Very interested to see how this all plays out.

Cheers,

BrassEm.

i7-3930K@3.2Ghz&H100liquid|ASUSP9X79Deluxe>X680/OC|32GBGSkillPC2400|2TBRaid0|Antec1200&1200WTruePower|ASUSGV278H-3D|SBX-FiT-Pro|TurtlebeachDPX21|Win7-64U
brassem

Post by brassem »

ORIGINAL: emsoy

I fixed some targeting errors in B486. Could you please try that version and see if the problem is still there. Thanks! [8D]

Hello emsoy,

Fresh start with 486 and same type of setup.

One group okay, (Was detected and jammed), but;

6/10/2017 1:39:18 AM: 6 Sqn #4 is dropping 365 Diponegoro [Sigma 9113] #340 from its target list (Reason: The target is not auto-targeted, and no outstanding weapons or assignments against it exist).

6/10/2017 1:39:18 AM: 6 Sqn #3 is dropping 365 Diponegoro [Sigma 9113] #340 from its target list (Reason: The target is not auto-targeted, and no outstanding weapons or assignments against it exist).

(Was not detected and jammed.) So still dropping manual attack orders.

Was able to group select dropped harpoons and unit auto attack the target (For the Kill!).

Attachments
ExPitchB..dropped.zip
(324.78 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
brassem

Post by brassem »

Looks like any (Air) group that is issued an RTB by any means disbands. Must waypoint back to base for group cohesion.

Emsoy, All my refuel groups don't work. One of the group "Hooks up", but doesn't receive fuel while the rest of the flight hangs off.

If you have the time, take a look at group_2086 trying to refuel at "Alice Refuel" mission. Group is at cruise to catch, Tanker is at loiter.

Cheers,
Attachments
Ex Pitch B..o Refuel.zip
(336.72 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”